Using Routines or Road Maps to the day room by room

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking Using Routines or Road Maps to the day room by room

Here is something I've done for years. It really really really saves time and energy and is how people like me keep it clean with a bare MINIMUM of effort and time.

Recently Flylady has come out big on routines, and she is right. It's a classic for housekeeping, and the reason for the old wash on Mondays rhyme.

I recently revamped mine, I'm always fine tuning it. Here it is. I post a copy of this in the kitchen and in the bathroom and mentally check off list items as I go thru.

Why post a memorized list? Because my memory isn't perfect and it's easy to lose track. This way no matter how I feel I know what I got done, and what is still left.

This is my way of working thru the house in 5 minute bursts when I'm feeling ill.

AND it works to play beat the clock when I have more energy.

POST YOUR LISTS, and lets get the creativity flowing to get organized. Everyone is different, if you don't have a routine, try a simplified version of one posted here and adapt it to suit you.

And anyone with small kids, don't look at this and try it thinking, how come she can do this and I can't. I don't have toddlers and when I did, it was a different routine believe me. Mine are in university, and one has even left home.

When I wash my sink in the morning, I'm usually the last one in the bathroom, so when I'm done in there, that is it. If dh shaves after that I usually clean the sink again when I wash my hands after a later bathroom trip, running my soapy wet hands round the basin to clean up.

No one routine is for everyone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Road Map to My Day: (and PLEASE remember I do this in little bursts with rests in between "rooms"-- unless I'm feeling unusually energetic, I can't ever just do this flat out without stopping. The minute stuff reminds me it's small and keeps me going thru it without wasting time or energy)

Bedroom: 1 minute
    Open bedding and window to air as I get up.

Bathroom: 20 minutes
    Brush teeth. Spray sink and counter with red juice.
    Comet toilet, spray rim and seat etc with red juice.
    Shower, use daily shower spray after.
    Wipe out sink, taps, counters. Toilet tank, seat then wipe off toilet rim and floor base with tp
    Spritz floor with red juice, wipe floor with used bath towel
    Finish dressing in bedroom, make bed, tidy bedroom, toss laundry.

Kitchen: 15 to 20 minutes
    Empty dishwasher while fixing breakfast.
    Take vitamins with breakfast. Check Calendar
    Decide on dinner, defrost meat, or crockpot it, veggie, salad prep, side dishes, dessert prep
    Fresh ice cubes, Mix ice tea or lemon-aide.
    Wipe counters, stove top, fridge front and handles
    SHINE SINK NOW, fresh dishcloth and tea towel for day, take gbg out, emptying others on the way
    Toss old dishcloth and tea towel, use them to damp mop floor, then entry floor on way to laundry

Laundry: 1 minute
    Start first load, don’t get sidetracked by the computer yet—finish this morning routine first

Garden: 5 minutes
    5 minutes a day weeding and maintenance while the day is still cool. Use gloves and a bucket for weeds.

Living room: 5 minutes
    Clear off hot spots (a flylady term, this means horizontal surfaces that are clutter magnets),
    Run around with the feather duster (hit bedrooms, and dining room too)
    Laundry into dryer.

Exercise 10 min:
    Lift Weights Mon, Wed, Fri, (FEED FISH THESE DAYS TOO)
    Cycle on Tue, Thu, and Sat.

Morning MINUTES TOTAL: 1 hour, less 3 minutes.

NOON to MID AFTERNOON
    Laundry: 5minutes: Sort and put away laundry
    DECLUTTER 5 minutes:

SUPPER TIME
    Kitchen again: Fix dinner, cleaning as I go, plate dinners, and set leftovers in containers to cool.
    After dinner, Load Dishwasher, Wipe Down kitchen, Start dishwasher

BEDTIME
    Check calendar, pull frozen food upstairs for tomorrow’s dinner
    Pull coffee pot out for George to fix morning coffee, set d/w with open door to dry overnight or unload
    Pick out tomorrow’s clothes
    Brush and floss teeth, wash makeup off, and or Hot bath, body lotion

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My Weekly Road Map looks a bit like this: You'll notice a flylady term, ZONES which is better explained by going to flylady.net and seeing for yourself. She divides the house up in zones and you concentrate monthly and seasonal stuff into those zones. I like the zone thing, I have found it to be a help.

Another thing you will see is the Financial Home Blessing Hour on Thursday which is another flylady concept I've found helpful.

Road Map To My Week:

Monday:

1. Big wash
    2. Change sheets
    3. Dust, polish and VACUUM
    4. Damp mop hard surface floors
    5. Red Juice wall spots, doors and knobs, switchplates
    6. Windex mirrors, window spots, taps and chrome in kitchen and bathroom
    7. Special attention to ZONE cleaning, decluttering and general maintenance.

Tuesday:
    1. Bible Study September to May, then in June to Aug, no car/ extra garden day
    2. Car Day (visiting, appointments, 1.49 day or personal shopping) September to May only.

Wednesday:
    1. Catch up laundry, quick tidy
    2. BIG GARDEN WORK DAY: mow lawn, do any heavy digging or weeding.

Thursday:
    1. Clean Fridge out, toss old stuff and wash. Freezer on Zone week.
    2. Clean Stove exterior, interior on Kitchen Zone week. Stove fan filter through Dishwasher tonight.
    3. Financial Home Blessing Hour: 10 minutes to each, SET TIMER: Plan menus. Check supplies in Pantry, cleaning closet, toiletries, vitamins, medicines. Create grocery list. Do a Bills and budget check up. Make a list of errands to run for Friday eg Stuff to mail, library books/videos—and put ready in bag. Look at next week’s calendar, and plan the to do list for next week.

Friday:
    1. Grocery shopping in early morning, put away.
    2. Clean Purse and Car, to carwash (get Esso card from George BEFORE I TAKE HIM TO WORK!) after a dust, vacuum as needed, windex and Armour All.
    3. Quick tidy in house and catch up laundry
    4. Car day, visiting and appointments in afternoon.

Saturday:
    1. Family day
    2. Gardening and Maintenance (Edger, lawn mowing, weeding and flower and veggie patch maintenance)

Sunday:
    1. Church
    2. Family day, big dinner with dessert.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here is my interpretation of the Monthly Zone routine:

Monthly Routines:
    (Each zone corresponds to the week of the month) 1 and 5 are partial weeks.

Each zone gets deep cleaning: Vacuuming—corners, baseboards and under couch cushions/mattresses (which also need flipping or rotating) and moving furniture to vacuum underneath. Dusting ceiling corners and light fixtures especially fan blades, lamp chains, flower arrangements baseboards, door and window frames, bookcases and chair bottoms. Polish on wood furniture. Windex to spot treat windows, switch plates, glass pictures or other glass or chrome surfaces, and wall spots. Finish by lightly spraying room carpet and soft furnishings with Febreeze. Toss magazines and do a serious decluttering monthly!

Seasonal or Annual cleaning—windows washed, walls, floors, drapes or blinds.

Week 1 Zone 1:
    Entryway, Dining Room, Back Sun Room, Upstairs Hallway:

Week 2 Zone 2:
    Kitchen, Downstairs Recreation room/Guest Room:

Week 3 Zone 3:
    Both Bathrooms, all hall closets, Sewing room, Weight Room, and Canning cupboard:

Week 4 Zone 4:
    Our Bedroom, Sylvia’s bedroom, Laundry and Computer Room: Special Instructions: Annually Change fire alarm batteries. Sort file cabines and boxes and shelf contents in computer room. Monthly pour water down basement drain and clean furnace filter.

Week 5 Zone 5:
    Living Room and Garage: Special Instructions: Annually Defrost freezer in garage, wash and dejunk, organize remainder. Spring and Fall hang curtains out on a windy day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

By using these (I stick the zone thing under the back page of the calendar to flip to and check) I can keep myself on track and stuff gets done.

Do I do it all?

NO not always, but it's surprising how often most or all does get done.

It's a road map, it's like the menu, a suggestion for when I can't remember what I'm supposed to do next. It's not a straight jacket.

USING A TIMER:

Setting a timer works. You work faster and stay on track. It's also a motivational thing to get you started. I find it works well for me.

A lot of people have written back to flylady though feeling shattered when they couldn't do everything they wanted in 15 minutes or whatever time flylady suggested. They ignore the instruction which is to do what you can, for that time, then leave. You have closure on that task for the day.

Something flylady has been stressing in her essays lately is that when you set a timer, you don't have to get it all done in that time, just do what you can in the 5 minutes or whatever.

Leave it after that. Tomorrow do another 5 minutes and so on.

I think the problem happened when people didn't read her closely and just saw the "you can do anything in 15 minutes" and didn't read further to find that it meant you can do it if you break it up into 15 minute segments and do it for 15 minutes, not in 15 minutes.

So if anyone here has had troubles with flylady routines in the past, give her a second chance, and try the timer thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Margery! This is great. I started with "routines" a few months ago and it works great! Mine is A LOT different from yours, almost backwards! I can't get a "weekly roadmap" to work here though, the little ones are too unpredictable. I just do the worst ZONE on any given day, and try to keep up with the kids!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think everyone HAS to be different because it's just your own home, schedule and kids, only fine tuned so it can be done faster and easier in your own ways.

LOL I thought my road map thru backwards and yup pretty much how I remember with tiny kids.

Laundry, that was how it had to start, then feeding them and once they were fed and happy, THEN I could do other stuff like using the bathroom, getting stuff picked up, and so on.

I recall not having much time for showers etc till evening before bed and just dampening my hair in the morning to get rid of the bed head from going to bed with it wet.

And it wasn't till they got into school (i homeschooled later) when I had more room to make each day a bit different in focus.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's pretty much how I do mine. I'm an avid Flybaby!! lol
    Have been for quite a few years now. I don't know what I ever did before I found her website!!
    Our routines are pretty similar Margery! The first thing I do in the morning is pull the bedding down & open a window too! I don't think too many people do that. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's sure nice, it airs the mattress and sheets and duvet out nicely, making it smell fresh when I make it, and later when I climb back in bed that evening.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh yes, it almost smells as good as the day you change the sheets. Sometimes I'll spray everything down with my homemade febreeze too. That's really nice.

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you Margery!

I have a lavender linen spray that is heavenly! I love pulling back my sheets at night after lightly spraying them in the morning!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've been working on my summer routines for about a week now:

* Monday - kitchen (wipe out fridge, wipe counters, vacuum kitchen)

* Tuesday - dust bedroom, wipe down master bath

* Wednesday - paperwork and vacuum house

* Thursday - declutter something

* Friday - wipe out 1 kitchen cabinet; wipedown counters; vacuum house

Also, laundry:

Mon - towels and whites
    Tues - darks
    Wed - whites
    Thur - sheets & towels
    Fri - darks

And errands/activities:

Mon - knitting class (kids)
    Tue - science class (kids)
    Wed - chili club (kids)
    Thur - Scottish dancing (kids)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If only I could stick with routines they would work for me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Laci,
    Start small. Write up what you would like to get accomplished each and every day. Then order it in a way that makes your day easier. Then just start off small. Like, make sure you do the first few items each & every day. Then when you have that down add a few more, etc.

Maybe that would help!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Early Bird that is a nice set of routines you've built.

Laci, I ditto, start small and find some little habit that works for you. It might just be spraying the bathroom sink after the kids have brushed their teeth with a non scrub spray or doing a load of laundry a day.

flylady said something good when she started she didn't try more than 3 things morning and night and once those were a habit, THEN she added more on. I think she was right. She also made sure they were SMALL things that had a big impact. So they werent' a big mountain to climb when she felt overwhelmed.