80/20 Rule
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: 80/20 Rule

  1. #1
    Moderator aka AmyBob AmyBoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Age
    48
    Posts
    12,038
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    43
    Rep Power
    50

    Default 80/20 Rule

    Another idea I've come across while re-reading Organizing from the Inside Out by Julie Morgenstern is the 80/20 Principle. Basically she states that we only use about 20% of what we actually own. The other 80% is stuff that we used to use, think we should use, or think we might someday use.

    Today, I am going to walk around my house and identify my 20%. I'm then going to take a hard look at the other 80% and find a way to get rid of it, whether it is taking it to the consignment shop, donating it to the Salvation Army, or dumping it in the trash. I'm really devoted to the idea of not moving anything to the new house that wasn't an essential in this one.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,360
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    That 80 20 rule is wonderful. I've used it in the past to help me figure out why it's not productive to try to clean "perfectly" or get the "perfect" savings on the budget.

    Aiming for an 80% improvement for the first 20% of effort really makes a difference. Using up a remaining whopping 80% of effort to chase that last 20% improvement to make it "perfect" uses up too much effort.

    I haven't used it yet in looking at the things in my house, but I expect I shall find that quite a useful application of that rule.

    Probably you could say that 80% of the effort, is spent looking after that 80% of junk items

    and if you just pared it down, you'd be using only 20% of the effort to look after the remaining 20%.

    For anybody worried about going too minimalist, just consider storing stuff in out of season boxes (clear plastic is easy to see contents).

    That way you remove the 80% out of the main living areas keeping them free and clear for easy cleaning and you get to "try it out" before letting go and paring down.

Similar Threads

  1. The Where's Waldo rule
    By Sara Noel in forum Site Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 04:41 PM
  2. Extra income, all to EF or 1/3 rule?
    By greenism3 in forum Dave Ramsey
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 01:01 PM
  3. new link rule
    By Sara Noel in forum Site Support
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 12:14 PM
  4. Do you rule your money, or does it rule you?
    By Momto2Boyz in forum Frugal Living
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-22-2008, 08:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •