Organizing and managing your telephone so it doesn't run your life

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Organizing and managing your telephone so it doesn't run your life

Telephone management.

Whether you are homeschooling and want to concentrate on lessons in the morning, but are constantly interrupted by friends and relatives who presume "but you are home all day, I know you can do the lesson later, right now I HAVE to talk or I'll explode..." scenarios

or it's a dear but longwinded friend or relation

or a nasty person intent on harrassing you

or charity calling at dinner,

or one of your groups calling to ask you one more time to volunteer time you don't have and you are too tired to say no, or explain why (since many a pushy person will rudely demand an explanation and attempt to talk her way thru your objections).

we all have reasons to manage our phones.

I thought since most of us have a phone, and cope with the way it interrupts our time, breaks our concentration, derails our cleaning, teaching, napping, etc

it might be useful to have a thread full of everyone's solutions.

Maybe you don't take calls during supper. Or as we do, let it be known that we go to bed at 8 30 pm pacific time, call before then or risk waking one of us up!!!!

In the past I used an answering machine. I could monitor who was calling in and whether or not to let the machine take the message. Good for some things. Helped in the early years of homeschooling before I became contact person for homeschooling in our district, president of the hs association in our city, and hs newsletter editor along with church stuff and managing a home business.

Calling people back became a burden when there were simply too many calls (this is where I began to learn boundaries, and telephone time management by nearly going nuts)

and the "church" we attended at the time became abusive and controlling when we left-- partly because we found out just how abusive and controlling they were.

I then switched to call display, and turned off the answer machine so I wouldn't have to listen to the hate messages. I also blocked certain numbers from calling in.

That worked for a few years. Kept me sane too.

Now I've learnt to keep my life quiet, I manage my time much better, and we are living in a different city, and our former church has forgotten us.

I've long since let go the services and the answer machine.

My life is simpler and I can cope with the few times I'd rather not answer the phone, because it's easier to answer and deal with the caller, than to have to call anyone in the evening when I'm really tired. And if I'm not home (rare) they can't leave a message so I don't have to cope with that either.

Why I launched this thread was a rather good advert from my phone company (provincial, you can't call them and sign up outside BC, Canada) with a list of the new services.

Some are new. I thought maybe if I list the new services, you can look up and see if your telephone company provides similar stuff and pick and choose stuff that suits you.

And the other reason was to get everyone who wants to share how they managed a phone nuisance and tamed their telephone.

Here they are:
    "Whether it's a prank caller, a telemarketer, a persistent ex or an overeager relative, nuisance calls are a problem for everyone at some point. That's why TELUS has a wide range of Calling Features designed to help you enhance your privacy and security. So manage the calls you don't want with confidence instead of pretending you don't hear the phone when it rings.

Voice Mail
    Don't miss calls again. With Voice Mail, you can take messages while you're on the phone, online or away from home. You can listen to who is leaving a message with Message Monitor and access your messages from any touch-tone phone.

With Enhanced Voice Mail, you can set separate greetings for different situations, schedule greetings for different times of day, add Voice Mail boxes for family members or combine your cell phone and home phone messages in one mailbox.

Call Display
    Call Display lets you identify callers before you answer the phone so you can screen calls, see who called while you were away, see store names and numbers and avoid nuisance callers. Call Display-capable equipment is required.

Also, with Visual Call Waiting, you can see who's calling while you're on the phone and decide whether your call is worth interrupting.

Anonymous Caller ID
    Used with Call Waiting, Anonymous Caller ID prompts unknown callers to identify themselves, either by unblocking their phone number or saying their name. That way, you control who you talk to and when. You can accept the call, send the call to your Voice Mail or play a programmed announcement to the caller.

Call Screen
    Call Screen is another great way to avoid unwanted calls. Select up to 12 numbers and Call Screen will route callers from those numbers to a pre-recorded message saying "The party you are trying to reach is not accepting calls at this time." Your phone will not ring, and the screened caller will not be able to leave a message.

Do Not Disturb®
    When Do Not Disturb® is activated, callers will hear a message that you are not accepting calls at this time. You can select certain numbers to be able to reach you and an operator can assist a caller in case of emergency.

Call Trace
    Call Trace is a free service that provides legal evidence of harassing calls to your number. Police can find out who is calling you even if they've blocked their name and number.

Call Return
    You probably know it as "Star 69", but Call Return lets you find out the last number to call your line. Charges are on a per-call basis.
    These are just some of the ways TELUS is making it easier for you to protect your privacy and security.

So what methods and techniques do you use?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

all the ringers of my home phone are turned off....
    if you need to talk to me & are considered someone that we wouldn't want to miss a call from, you have my cell #.....
    the answering machine answers every call into the house.....
    why keep the home line when we all have cells?? in case something happens and one of the little girls needs to make a call....
    plus, the military requires you to have a home number......

I realize it's technology, but I hate the phone!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I let the answering machine screen all calls. If it's important, the caller will leave a message.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a mean way to keep people from bugging me repetedly. My phone is also a fax. I have it set up to let the fax answer after 6 rings. I also have caller ID. If it is someone I know, I will answer. If not, i let the fax machine answer. telemarketers hate that. but they remove your number. I also have privacy plus which tells callers if they are a telemarketer they need to remove my name from the list and hang up. If you are an out of state or unlisted caller it prompts you to give your name. I have the option to accept the call or not.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by mrsengeseth
    If it is someone I know, I will answer. If not, i let the fax machine answer. telemarketers hate that. but they remove your number.
    WOW GOOD thinking Melissa!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like that solution!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

oh and I DON'T think that is mean. You do know the caller, and if they won't announce who they are, then that is a fast way to deal with all kinds of nuisance calls.

very very smart!

And you get to be taken off all kinds of telemarketer schemes too!!!

I like this new service-- if I needed it which fortunately I don't.

"Anonymous Caller ID
    Used with Call Waiting, Anonymous Caller ID prompts unknown callers to identify themselves, either by unblocking their phone number or saying their name. That way, you control who you talk to and when. You can accept the call, send the call to your Voice Mail or play a programmed announcement to the caller. "