Ideas for Locking Kitchen Drawers? Please!
    Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Ideas for Locking Kitchen Drawers? Please!

The kids are driving me out of my mind. I can't get them to stay out of the drawers in the kitchen. There is nothing dangerous in them or anything, but they are just constantly dragging stuff out of them. I'm just tired of having to search the house every time I need a measuring cup, or spending my evenings picking up plastic cookie cutters. Every time I turn around one of them runs past with another utensil.

I have old cabinets in my kitchen. Because of the design of the drawers and the fact that the runners are broken, I can not use the childproof latches that they sell at the store.

I have 4 drawers stacked on top of each other. I have tried tying them all together with elastics, but then they just pull them all open at once, plus it makes it really hard for me to get into them.

Does anyone have any homemade methods I can use to keep them closed, before I go completely insane? Maybe someone who had toddlers in the 70's (since that's when my cupboards were built) can remember how they kept them locked.

TIA

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a dilemma! The only thing I can think of is for you to empty all the drawers out and not use them or take the whole drawer out and stack them somewhere, until they get past that stage. Incovenient, I know and maybe not doable for you but that's all I can come up with. Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wish I could empty them but I have very limited cupboard space and no where else to put anything. There are no other drawers anywhere. Plus I'm not very tall so anywhere that is out of reach for the 2 year old, is also out of reach for me I want to put a wall unit in the dining area, but that can't happen until at least Dec.

I don't even care if I have to deface the cabinets to keep them out. They really can't get any uglier (the cabinets, not the kids).

Maybe I'll go to the hardware store on the weekend and see if I get any brilliant ideas.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a 3 year old that is in that stage right now...we have put drawer locks in place & the little stinker just jerks the drawers the right way & the locks pop out of place.GGGRRR..other than padlocking the drawers shut,I like starsapphire's idea.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

These are similar to the kind we used when my kids were young but ours were not able to move 90º. Not free but not expensive & easy for adults to use. http://www.totsafe.com/proddetail.asp?prod=5400

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We used the same ones as Darlene.

If all else fails, I would just move the stuff & put their toys in there until they get bored with playing with the drawers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Those are the kind of latches we have on the cupboards, but they don't fit on our drawers. They seem to be the only design available.

I'm going to look at the padlocks, because I really have no where else to put anything.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I paid $10 (at Bed, Bath, and Beyond) for 4 stick-on door alarms a while back when DD was in a stage of trying to get outside all the time. When the alarm halves are seperated from each other by more than a few inches (as in when the door opens) a shrieking alarm sounds. That helped me catch my little run away before she could get too far.

I think they would work on drawers, too, unless the kids are old enough to figure out how to turn them off. And in that case, I think a piece of tape over the "off" switch would work.

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages...rm_system.html

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm going to look for that alarm, because my son is almost able to open the front door (not quite, but I'm expecting it any day) and we are only about 20 feet off the road.

Last night I thought of the perfect solution for my drawer problem, which also solves my oven opening, dishwasher opening, microwave turning on, potato stealing, counter climbing and clothespin dumping problems. I'm going to gate off the kitchen.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    I'm going to look for that alarm, because my son is almost able to open the front door (not quite, but I'm expecting it any day) and we are only about 20 feet off the road.

Last night I thought of the perfect solution for my drawer problem, which also solves my oven opening, dishwasher opening, microwave turning on, potato stealing, counter climbing and clothespin dumping problems. I'm going to gate off the kitchen.
    Yep, a gate will cover all of that. Good luck!