Any Ideas For Organizing My Sewing/Craft Room?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cool Any Ideas For Organizing My Sewing/Craft Room?

I posted earlier that I got about 45 lb.s of new fabric. Although it is fantastic and I'm still drooling over the fabulous pieces, now I've come to the conclusion that I need to once again...reorganize and declutter.

The room is not huge and one wall is our office. The closet is now completely full of bins, cabinets, and shelves full of craft supplies, sewing items I rarely use and a host of hobby supplies that the whole family uses. It's all neatly organized and labeled so I can and do find things easily but there's just no more room in there!

I have a small dresser filled with satin/lace, ribbon, trims, vintage hankies, and special tapestry pieces. A small 4 drawer cabinet filled with thread and sewing notions. Another 4 drawer cabinet filled with sewing notions/supplies. An old sewing cabinet I was going to use for a cutting table. A huge wrap around sewing cabinet that holds 2 sewing machines. A 3 shelf plastic thingy holding all of my fabric and a 4 shelf metal cabinet holding all of my patterns and craft books which I mostly put into 3 ring binders.

I'm thinking of pulling EVERYTHING out of this room and starting over (except for the closet stuff). I'm also thinking of getting rid of the wrap around sewing machine table and just using the old cabinet. The wrap around was MIL's and although it was quite expensive, it takes of too much space.

Any advice on how to store my fabrics better or how some of you organized your sewing room would be appreciated. I'm thinking of seriously decluttering this sewing stuff and I have a real aversion to getting rid of that kind of thing.

toile
    Tourist

I found this studio very inspiring!
    http://heatherbailey.typepad.com/hea...he_studio.html

I was not able to make mine that nice but it still gave me ideas to copy cat.
    With my hubbies help I was able to make some things that really keep things neater.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish you luck with this. If you no longer use something donate it to make room for the things you like to work on. I quilt and I have my stash on book shelves. Fold selvege to selvege, now selveges to the center fold. I have a 9"x13" piece of plexi I had cut at the window store (under $5). I wrap the fabric on that then slip out the plexi and wind the next fabric. By looking at the edges you have a guestimate as the yardage on there.
    What kind of sewing and crafts do you do? Here is another site. I haven't posted enough to post the link but it is seworganized.com

piney

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Toile, that studio is sure inspiring. Guess I better stop drooling now...

piney

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I wrote a big long descriptive answer, but it disappeared into

So, I'll try to post photos of mine

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

More photos....

toile
    Tourist

Stinkbug your room is great!!!!!
    So orderly and roomy too!

Mine has the treadmill and excercise, stuff, then a rocker with a stool too.
    So cramped...but better than nothing

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay..what you can't see in the photos is a huge walk in closet to the right in the first photo. This was dd2's room that I took over when she moved out. I LOVE this room! I did serious purging and organizing about a month ago

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have any advise, I just want to say good luck!!!! I hate going thru things trying to decide what to toss or keep...I want to keep everything that has to do with hobbies, and sewing, and scrapbooking, and cooking, and candle making...LOL you get the picture!

And stinkbug...that room looks AWESOME!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Whew! What a job! It took me almost 3 days! The tips and photo's were great! Thank you all so much for your ideas, support and inspiration!

I removed almost everything and started all over. I am now using the old sewing cabinet instead of the newer, bulky, unsatifactory cabinet. I may use it out in the garage for something as I'm a recycler. I can see putting a huge board over it and using it as a table out there.

I found a 5 shelf wood book shelf out in the garage that was just holding junk and I cleaned that up and am using it for my fabric, along with 2 tubs for the bundles and 2 shoe boxes for my fat quarter sized pieces. I really like looking at all of my fabric all folded so pretty on the shelves.

I found the cutest box for my buttons and it is stuffed. I kept the little 4 drawer cabinet with my sewing thread and supplies and put it beside my sewing cabinet and also have the 3 drawer rolling cabinet for my bobbins, scissors and stuff like that.

I took the big plastic 3 shelf unit and turned it sideways and put a big piece of plexiglass on the top and made that my cutting table. My 36" cutting mat fits it perfectly and it's just the right size for cutting. Always before I had to carry everything into the kitchen and I used the island for my cutting table so it was a real hassel. I found a plastic basket in the garage that is now sitting on the top shelf and has my current projects in it along with my fav. scissors and my rotary cutter.

I found a big basket in the garage and am now using it as my repair basket. I have a couple of shirts, some jeans, a jacket, and 2 things I need to sew buttons on in there and now I have a perfect place for repairs.

I also went through the 4 drawer dresser and removed and rearranged the trims, lace, and tapestry pieces. I put the vintage hankies in my cedar chest as some of them are labeled that were gifts from dh's great-grandmother to his mother so I figure that's the safest place for them until I'm ready to made a handkerchief quilt.

I re-hung my closet doors as they were off track and I didn't even have room to get close enough to fix them, LOL.

I found a basket that looks really cute on top of the bookshelf and holds my stash of fabric for upholstery. They are just 12x12 squares but can be used to make pillows and even crazy quilts. There was even room on the shelf for my curtain and upholstery fabric that I plan to use to re-do my bedroom.

I only barely straightend up the wall with the computer and office stuff but it looks nicer too since I cleaned up the rest of the room.

Actually, I didn't remove much except for pieces of furniture and some containers but it looks 100% better and I love being in here now!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow the compliments I'm getting is wonderful! Dh, who I didn't mention helped me move the bigger furniture out of here (he should get some credit, lol) came into the sewing room/office last night and couldn't believe the difference. Ds saw it this morning and he's so happy for me and said he really likes the look and that it "flows". I think what we all like about it is big empty space in the center of the room. Since it's a smaller room, it now 'looks' bigger.

Now, on to my next project.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, you did an amazing job. One suggestion, make sure the vintage hankies don't touch the sides of the cedar chest. The oils can damage fabrics over time.
    On to the next project?? Ahh, enjoy a cuppa and smell the roses.

piney

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

Here's another organization idea I saw. You know those foldable wooden drying racks for clothes? They stand about 4 foot tall and are about 4-5 foot wide. Well, this person opened it up and put her fabrics on it. She hung them on the various dowells of the rack. I thought it looked really nice and it gave her good access. But I always wondered about the dust.
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would be concerned about the acid from the wood, the dust issue and having the fabrics fade over time. I do use one of those when I am making a string quilt. It is great to hang misc. "strings"/strips from.

piney