Frugal Village Forums banner

Spring Clean-it, Fix-it, Organize-it, ETC Projects

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  HandyMom 
#1 ·
Spring!!!!! It was warm today, and I got in the mood to work. My spring project was to stain a room divider today, wash windows, and sort thru some papers. We raked outside, picked up sticks from winter storms, and burned leaves. I had planned to do some landscaping with flowers, but it still seemed a little too cool and wet for that.

How about you? Has spring fever hit? What projects are you tackling?

#2 ·
WOW! You are a busy, little bee! The only spring projects we have done so far are planting 11 shrubs along the front and side of the house. We still need to buy 6 more to have it the way we want it, but I guess that will be a project for next weekend or the weekend after.

I love spring and the 'cleaning' that comes with it.

#3 ·
My spring cleaning will have to wait until May when my classes end. Too much going on until then. Then I will be all about really doing a thorough cleaning of everything. Including going through a lot of stuff and tossing / donating it.

#4 ·
I've been REALLY antsy waiting for this alomst (gotta go in Tues) week off from work so that I could tackle some projects that have been waiting for spring.)

A couple of the big ones
~~sand down, stain, poly., and recover a sturdy rocking chair
~~sand down, stain, and poly., a solid wood desk for DS#2's room
~~weed, turn over, and so on, the flower beds

It's still been too wet out here to touch these yet. I'm hopeful though that by the end of the week they'll be started.

on a smaller scale
~ changing out everyone's clothes for the season change
~ taking inventory of what the ever growing kiddos have outgrown and need
~ clear out the boys rooms with them
~ make curtains for DS#'s room, change out his bed w/ the frame in the attic, hang shelves (His room never got completely finished when we renevated)
~clean out the file cabinet
~ wash the floors by hand
~ oil the furniture

The list goes on. I've been pretty productive the last couple of days. (I was off Friday). If I get that much done most days I'll be ecstatic!!!

#5 ·
Well as I sit here reading this I am extremely sore from painting the last two weekends! I painted our first floor bathroom/powder room last weekend and it looks great! My husband and I spent the last two days painting our master bath. Wow, that was a huge undertaking but it looks fantastic! We finally purchased art work for our master bedroom and hung all of that last night. Was so tired of bare walls! I still have two more rooms to paint but they will have to wait until fall. I am done with paint for now!! Our next projects will be less labor intensive but more costly! We are having a shed built that will allow us to clean out and organize the garage! We are also having our attic finished so that we have more storage space. We want to move all the boxes and stuff up in the attic so that we can make a home gym. We should have both of those projects done by the beginning of May! Then we can concentrate on setting up home gym. The best part about the whole thing is that it is all being paid for with cash! We just moved into our home a year ago so there are a lot of projects to be done. We have a list of priorities and the cost of each thing beside it. We take money out of our pay each month and put it into the "house improvement" account. All of our projects are paid for and I can't tell you how much more we are enjoying the improvements knowing that!!! We are fortunate that we can do all of this and still make large payments to our debt. We balance debt payoff with enjoying life now!!:mdance:

#6 ·
Well I am getting ready to paint out guest bedroom. It used to be the youngest until the oldest moved out on her own. She moved into her old room and now it is really just a hobby room for me. (All my coupon and rebate stuff is in there).
I went through everything the last couple of weeks and got rid of a bunch of stuff. Scaling down asking myself do I really need all of this stuff. Donated lots of stuff.
Started this morning taking off the wallpaper border and cleaning up that mess. Hopefully will be able to paint the ceiling this week and maybe the walls next weekend.
When I am done there I need to do some rearranging in the basement as we were given a small fridge for the basement but need to make room for it.

#7 ·
yesterday i got off mY butt and cleaned the fridge i mean took out all the shelves and got into it. my Dh was WOWed.

i still need to do the freezer.

i am waiting on the shrubs i ordered to be delivered they shipped yesterday and i have some seeds to plant so i need to head to the hardware store for some fert and dirt

#9 ·
We managed to turn the home office into a media room, which is nice to have for the boys. And we have a double living room, so we rearranged it to 2 separate rooms, a living room and a library. Other than that, nothing else for a while when the doc allows me to go work on the garden.

#10 ·
Oh yeah! I've got spring fever!!!!!! It's been wonderful here for 2 days, and tomorrow will be the same
I've:
* Painted 2 chairs that I use as plant stands
* I painted my dads old hand plow (it's a yard decoration)
* I "planted" A big sunflower that I got 2 years ago - it's made from farm implements
* I cut and trimmed the whole yard
* Cleaned out the big flower garden
* Cleaned off the brush that didn't burn in garden
* Cleaned, scraped and sanded and painted the cast iron bird bath
* Swept out the garage
Whew I'm tired:yikes:
Tomorrow is another day, and I have bunches more to do. I'm going to soak for a while!!!!!!! CALGON TAKE ME AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 ·
picked up 7000 sticks out of my yard for the burn pile
put some junk to the trash
ongoing summer-winter switch-outgrown-pass on-goodwill clothes project (but that's inside)
need to clean up old mulch
much too early here for flowers, need about 3 more weeks or so
dumped nasty sand out of sandbox (cover off accidentally too many times over winter), threw out broken toys, need to get more sand

#12 ·
Today was beautiful!
While the kids played, I ...
planted 2 rows each of carrots, corn, watermelons, tomatoes, pumpkins, peas
threw out broken outdoor toys
picked up sticks/pinecones & carried to burn pile

I'm in the mood to plant flowers tomorrow! Hope it's pretty!

#13 ·
7000 sticks? Ha! I'm sure I picked up 7001!! I couldn't believe all the stick-stuff on the ground from the winter ice storms, etc. But like you all, I took advantage of the wonderful weather today to start cleaning the yard, the flower beds, etc. I have a lot more to do tomorrow, too.

And I took time to sit in the glider, scratch my dog's head and just listen to the wind chimes while the warm sun just relaxed my body. Womderful.....

#14 ·
1. Had kids pick up 7000 sticks.
2. Am cleaning out all closets. I have the basement left. I've taken two
big loads to the church for a rummage sale.
3. Started on the garage. I'll get back to it if it gets warm.
4. Want to steam clean carpets in kids rooms when I can open windows.
5. Anxious to start garden but too cold yet.
6. Wash walls.

#15 ·
Third day in a row of 70's !!!!!!!!!!!:flowers:

Today:

BIL and I cleaned out toolbox in Dh truck and cleaned the inside of truck (DH is disabled), as we are gifting truck to teenage nephew who thinks it's the bomb!

I got the garden plowed (went over it about 8 times!)
Cleaned leaves and trash from between fence and driveway.
Cleared out weeds behind the shed.

Can you say "TIRED"?? I've been at this for 3 days and really loving it. Tomorrow is another day.:smted:

#16 ·
Today I put away the winter clothes, mitts and all, washed the 3 shelf trays and now use it for my knitting and crochet.
i washed all the outside windows today(green way vinegar).
Went through my closet last week and organzied it all, plus the bathroom, chucked out alot of old stuff.

#17 ·
Another 7000 sticks.
Bought landscaping mulch.
Planted outside flowers.
Fertilized them.

Hubby cleaned gutters and painted.

Weather was so beautiful that it was a joy to work outside today.

#20 ·
I got up close and personal with the backyard today. Five hours worth of raking leaves leftover from last fall, picking up rocks (I call them lawnmower killers) and putting insecticide granules all around the house after I saw about a million ants crawling all over the foundation. My bonus was filling a trash bag with various broken things I found in and around the shed.

This is only the beginning. I have at least 10 more hours of work to do on just the grass with raking and fertilizing it and then it will soon be time to cut it at least once a week. My back hurts and I was bitten by a mosquito when I sat down for a minute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.