Floor Steam Cleaner Q & A Help Needed

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Floor Steam Cleaner Q & A Help Needed

I am interested in possibly getting a floor steam cleaner but have not heard any reports from users on how well they work or don't work. I saw one at Lowe's for the Shark Hard Surface Cleaner
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...325&lpage=none

But again I am not sure about it as there are no reviews on it.
    Have any of you ever used a floor steamer or currently owned one? Any ideas, suggestions, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is an old post... but just came across it now.
    I have a steam cleaner- and it has a floor attachment. I just don't ever use the floor attachment and don't know why one would. What I mean is..... you'd have to wipe up the slop made from the steam and dirt... right? might as well just wash it with whatever you use to wash your floor with.

I tried it once, it was cumbersome for the floor.

Otherwise, I use it with great sucess to clean and sterilize my bathrooms, kitchen, and appliances.

This works so nicely on all dirt and grime. Melts it away. Except I have to wipe up the slop.

So, in a nutty shell~ this is definitely a green steam clean- no chemicals needed. I like that.

If I were to do the floor with it- I would only do the tile floor and not my wood floor. And I'd just point the steamer and wipe with a towel rag.

JMO.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have seen them and really want one!! But I need to hear reviews also! Is it worth the money? I have seen it done on tv but who knows how it really works.

Eileen

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default A personal review of a steam cleaner.

I wouldn't clean with anything else.
    You get used to the clunkiness of the machine.

I had a hand held one that I liked a lot- because it was so unclunky- then husband got me the 'floor' attachment model and it's rather clumsy. Probably because I am not used to it.

It's the difference between pulling a Eureka canister vacuum (remember those days?) and using a dirt devil handheld.

But, in respect to the actual cleaning power. I wouldn't use anything else.
    It cleans without the use of chemicals.

And you know those little crevices you use a toothbrush to get to? WOOOSH! gone.

You know that mildew along the bathtub? WOOOSH! ba-bye!

You must all have grease buildup on your stove crevices? (hope it's not just me) WOOOSH!! wiped up with a rag.

You know how you have to scrub and scrub the soap scum in the shower stall? WOOOSH and you still have to scrub. It's not a miracle worker! lol!
    Actually, there's less elbow grease for the shower buildup- but it's all chemical free!

I think we might have paid about $100 (I'm not really sure of the amount, because it was a gift)

Is is worth it? Depends on what is important. Germ-free and chemical-free? Is getting a good deep sterilization of your home important? Is a quick zap to rid the gunk a happy thing? then it's worth it.

But, also, it's not something you have just lying around. You have to pull it out of it's hiding spot, fill it with water, let it heat up and then you're ready. So, it's a planned event. "Today, I am going to steam the cabinet doors" (which you know as well as I do that it will lead to steaming EVERYTHING in site! It's contagious!
    Last edited by Frugal Nurse; 04-20-2008 at 07:07 PM. Reason: (spelling err)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FrugalNurse -

What kind of steam cleaner do you have?

I am also in the market for a simpler way to clean hard surfaces - tile floors, bathroom, the window on my oven, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am in agreement with Frugal Nurse, I keep mine in the box it came in on my closet shelf. It's a planned event when I use it once a week, but it encourages me to steam lots of things, as long as I have it out . I have this exact steam cleaner, I like to use it. We use it to clean the hard surface floors and I use the other attachments it comes with to clean the bathroom and kitchen sinks, tub, tile, etc...

I like the job it does on the tile in the shower area, it looks shiny and feels very clean after each use. I like the job it does on the floors too, I sweep first and I even spot treat any crusty or food stained spots with a little vinegar first and then I use the floor attachment and cloth it comes with to clean the floors. They dry very quickly and feel clean and sanitized when I am done. I have linoleum floors and it's very easy to use on them! My only complaint is how loud this machine is when I am using it. It's very powerful and the steam makes a loud hissing noise when in use, I usually insert cotten in my ears or my ear buds from my Ipod to lessen the noise. I use it weekly though, it's my attempt to use less cleaner and still get things clean .
    Last edited by Marie78; 04-20-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We bought a Steam Mop about a year ago and absolutely love it.
    This is the one we have
    http://www.kenwood-australia.com/pro...p?Model=SC5000

In fact my mum has it at her place at the moment trying it out because she thinks she might get one.
    Our 15yo even like using it. So for a 15yo boy to like it it must be good! lol

I like the fact that you only have to use water. Not only green but frugal too. I always vacuum first though just like you would when you mop.

Our jets got blocked for the first time the other day but you get a little needle thing with it that you prick the jets with to unblock them, ans it now works a charm.

With ours we got 2 cloths and over here they are easy to get (about $10 each at Big W). But we have been using it for a year and the mats are showing no sign of wearing out.

My MIL has the next modle down and she has to fill hers up at the foot but ours has a receprical at the top that comes of so you can fill at the sink. Hers also came with a hand help steam cleaner. Meant for bathrooms and stoves but she said that it doesn't work so well.

Anyway we love ours and when this one goes we will certainly get another one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My goodness, this is so funny. lol I told dh that I was going to order a steam mop today, because he and I have been really interested in buying one. Logged into FV, and voila this post popped up. lol