The Utlimate TV-Turnoff Challenge
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default The Utlimate TV-Turnoff Challenge

So, Dd's school is giving the kids a challenge, "The Ulitmate TV-Turnoff Challenge." The challenge lasts from January 2009-June 2009. There are three levels of participation that the students can choose from (participation is, obviously, optional.)

Gold. This means that she will not watch any TV and/or play any video/computer games from Sunday evening (after dinner) through Friday morning.

Silver. This means that she will not watch more than 30 minutes of TV and/or play video/computer games per day from Sunday evening (after dinner) through Friday morning.

Bronze. This means that she will not watch more than 60 minutes of TV and/or play video/computer games from Sunday evening (after dinner) through Friday morning.

It's going along with their character education program. The character building aspects are:
    Commitment: I care about my learning and want to be a better student.
    Determination: I can do this.
    Perseverance: It lasts 5 months.
    Cooperation: Family members, friends and teachers will support you.
    Creativity: So, now what shall I do?
    Honesty: Did I really achieve my goals?

So, we've been talking about this with dd. She really, REALLY wants to participate at the gold level. We asked if she understood that this meant absolutely NO tv or computer or video games during the week and she said, "I get it, but Silver and Bronze aren't really a challenge. I want to challenge myself." I have no doubt that she can do it, but I do want her to be realistic about the long-term-ness of it. She loves to read and do crafts and we have board games out the wazoo. However, I also happen to know that Santa is bringing Super Mario Kart for the Wii for Christmas.

I'm wondering how many kids will participate, as it requires a lot for the parents who are used to tv as a babysitter. They may have to (gasp!) interact with their kids!

So, dh and I have decided to let her go for the gold and we will do everything we can to support her. We already frequent the library for books and dvd's. Perhaps we'll just go for the books now. I may pick up some puzzles at Walmart and set up a puzzle table for her. She's already a bit of a schoolwork geek (I say this incredibly lovingly) as she always asks us to buy her math workbooks at the store, so she will certainly have more time for her first love...math.

Wish her luck in her 5 month endeavor!!!
    Last edited by AmyBoz; 12-14-2008 at 10:00 AM.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats to your daughter. Its great that she truly wants to take on such a challenge, and reaches for the gold. I have to admire her guts in trying this, it really speaks volumes about her character. You need to be proud of her, her determination will get her thought it and with you helping by adding things that will help keep her busy she will do GREAT. I am cheering for her, please let her know that we are all pulling for her to get the GOLD!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's a great challenge. I am wondering if your other children would get on board (a family go for the Gold if you will), that way all the children watch tv, movies, and play games on the weekends only and then on the weeknights they need to play with their other toys, read, play outside, and focus on homework. Then when the kids go to bed you and Dh can have tv time (if you watch it anyway).

I'm only 30, but I remember in grade school we would get home from school by 3:30pm empty our school bag for our mom and talk about our day while we had a snack, we changed into play clothes and then (snow, sun, or light rain) we were outside playing until dinner time. If it was raining hard outside we sometimes played in the garage or we would play in our rooms. Then dinner/help clean up, baths, and after baths we would sit at the kitchen table and my mom would help us with our homework (if we had any) if we didn't then it was quiet reading time in the living room. At 8pm we were allowed to watch one sitcom (2 on the weekends) and then we would go to bed by 8:30 or 9pm depending on weekday or weekend schedule. I know it's a different time now and children enjoy their tv and video games. Just a thought though, a way for the whole family to really support her efforts and make a change that maybe will continue into next year even.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was thinking the same thing about other parents not being supportive. Not so much because of the t.v. as babysitter, but because of their OWN compulsion to sit there and do nothing except stare at a screen all day.

Great challenge, and your daughter sounds like a special kid! Encourage that math!! We need more brainy female mathmeticians! (And I am absolutely NOT one of them - my love is/was literature. Brainy female readers are less in demand.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What a great goal! Congrats to your DD and I KNOW she can do it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah for her! I think it will be a challenge for her in the beginning and then she won't miss it a bit! I'm interested to see in what she finds her new interests. Keep us updated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

first kudos for less tv.. that's good for anyone!
    my question is tho, is using the computer for school related activities (homework/communication) part of that time?
    Or is it simply implying "play time"?

I have a warm-weather "challenge" in my house every year... all year long, if it's nice enough to go outside (ie, warm in January), you should be outside.
    Kinda like today.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think this is an awesome challenge and kuddos to you guys for helping her achieve her goal.