2009 Christmas Challenge. - Page 2
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Registered User phoeny_moonstar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hmm.... I think I can do this. Put away x amount of dollars per pay period for Holiday shopping. I also want to make everyone on my list a nice home-made gift. One per month sounds like a good idea. I want to learn how to sew anyways.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure I could manage a gift a month in the handmade department. But I have only a few special people in my life who get gifts, so maybe one a quarter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I talked to my best friend last night and told her I will make her a scrapbook of her son't first three years as a Christmas gift this year. So, next week she's putting all the photos on cd for me and then I can order them as soon as I find some photo processing deals. I am going to start making some pages in advance though, then I just add the photos.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MommyBliss View Post
    I talked to my best friend last night and told her I will make her a scrapbook of her son't first three years as a Christmas gift this year. So, next week she's putting all the photos on cd for me and then I can order them as soon as I find some photo processing deals. I am going to start making some pages in advance though, then I just add the photos.

What a wonderful gift. You're going to have fun doing this.

I made a scrapbook this year for our oldest dd, from when she was a wee babe right up until about 3 years ago. I can't wait to give it to her.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I will try this also..I may not be able to make all the gifts but I maybe I can atleast set aside money for Christmas 09.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm just going to try to sew as much as I can in my spare time. Make anything I can, from small little zippered make-up bags, to purses, to totes, to wall hangings, table runners and/or a quilt. OK, I'm tired just thinking about it! LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am going to make most of my gifts for next year as well. As the others have said, it makes it more meaningful I think. I made quote books for my sisters one Christmas and spent a total of $10 on materials including three 3-ring binders, 300 copies, and some stickers to decorate the pages with. They still love them and use them even though it was almost 10 years ago!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh you can count me in. I love making my christmas gifts. I also would love to learn how to use my sewing machine. This year as i posted in other threads I loom knitted 8 scarfs and framed three notecards (idea i found here). The rest was bought this year i came in at little under $70.00!!! I am very proud of that. This year whether homemade or not i tried to keep each gift at $10.00 or less. I think i will continue that this year too. I had plenty of yarn that helped. Not sure what i want to make for xmas 2009 but i will get back to you on that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I will join this challenge. I am going to set a goal of making my two kids and their spouses either an afghan or quilt each. This year's homemade gifts were sincerely appreciated so I think a major rememberance gift such as an afghan or quilt would truly be loved. I'm thinking even I could get that done in a year!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I really need to join this thread and stick with it. I started on last years homemade thread and then got distracted by home improvement projects. I did do about a dozen homemades. I also blew my $700 goal at the end as well.

For 2009 I am going to try to:

~ meet the $700 (The exception being if we save enough do a computer for the boys during the year. Instead of just setting it up when we have the funds we'll save it until Christmas. Of course there is the possibility of trying to get it REALLy frugally and fitting it in the budget but I'll allow excess of the budgetted amount ONLY for this item)

~ Try to make at least a dozen gifts.
    Possibilities include:
    *** blankets
    *** cookies
    *** canned jams
    *** canned homemade sauce
    *** scarfs
    *** canned homemade soups
    *** cloth grocery bags
    *** homemade candy
    *** fruitcake (only by request)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Im going to join this as well. I want to try and put away a little money each pay for Christmas and also make some gifts. I had the idea this year to make everyone jammie pants cause I could do that for the men and women!I never did get to it but Im really going to try this year! We did make lots of jams and pickles,salsa,etc and give them for gifts and I will do that again too. I also like the gift card idea. I get points at some stores here and will save those for Christmas too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ok... I want in on this one. I love to sew, craft, cook, etc. So I think I can do this. I like the pajama idea. I have mostly guys in the family so its hard to come up with great homemade gifts for them. I did candy this year as gifts and would love to do salsa, etc. I can't wait to get started!

Debbie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My homemeade Christmas budget is $120 not $1200 ROFL... just a smallllll typo there.

But I do set aside about $1200 anyway. I have only planned about $400 for the bought gifts though. I can always snowball the rest in December.

This week, I'm cutting up the Christmas fabrics I have, and making bags. I have the little stay put things to put ont eh ribbon or cord too. No purchases needed. I'll get these made up in January.

I bought about 120 cards yesterday for under $9. So next year for cards is set. They are cute pictures, but blank inside. So I can write or stamp depending on who it goes to. (90% of this is for my home business it's how I ship the product, but it's cheap!)

I also started on stocking stuffers. Found pen/notebook sets for 90¢ so picked up 3 for next year.

Will add a little hear and there as I go through the year.

I'm going to knit some knotty hats for my nieces next year, scarf for the eldest niece. (16). SO I need to start this soon, I can knit well, but REALLY slow.

My moms scarf is done, just need to add the fringe.

I'm going to also do cookies in jar thing for extended family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm planning a few crafts for gifts in 2009. I'd like to do beaded necklaces for 2 or 3 to start with. If I find extra time, I'd like to try something a little different too. Also, I have a photo/scrapbook type project in mind. This year I kept putting my craft projects off each month & just didn't get to them at the last minute like I usually do. I really enjoy giving those kinds of gifts & want to have them ready early!

Saving a little cash each month really worked well this year & I plan to start that again in February (have birthdays to save for right now). I wanted to shop year round more to have free up my time around the holidays. I need to get a list to keep with me so I can stay focused on what to look for through the year. Love having a plan! Thanks for starting this thread, its really got me thinking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Im in on this one. I listed Christmas as one of my savings goals in the Savings 2009 challenge thread.

My goal is $600 and to be done by Halloween. I dont have any kids or anything, so I dont need to save a whole lot.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast