Was made with love as a comfort device,
    Microwave for 2-3 minutes on high,
    And kiss those aches and pains good-bye,
    Instead of a compress made of ice,
    Use this pillow filled with rice.

I'm glad my idea jogged your memory.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank you sooooo much for the poem! You are awesome! My mom, son and FIL could really use these so that is who will be getting them. I just love you for this!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What a great idea!! I am going to have to add those to my list.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dean I love your poem!! It sure beats my explanation.. All the Kauai relatives will be getting this gift in 2009. I can do all the sewing at home, stuff with rice on Kauai and then handsew the rest!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Last year at this time i started making scarfs but this year I am behind of what to make. I have never done food gifts or gifts in a jar. I think i am heading more in that direction. Would like to pick recipes and mixes that are cost effective but we will see. Love all the ideas you all have. And Congrads on all of you have a start on Xmas 2009.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Those rice bags are a great idea!! I've never made dishcloths, and I think I'm heading that direction for several in my family. Even my brothers-in-law - they're bacheloring it up for the next few years, a little homemade never hurt

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dean - my grandmother swears by her rice pad! She's had it for years... one of her friends gave it to her. What a good idea about your work friends - I may use it!

I don't think I've posted in this challenge yet, but I'm a multi-year, year round Christmas-er. Usually my homemade is last minute (as in starting in September, as opposed to now...) but this year I'm stepping it up.
    I've decided that my mom & MIL are getting shawls. One is made, one is almost there - AND - I'm doing an extra, just in case. I've found a pretty simple, "one skein, basic fillet shawl" pattern that I'm using. I'll be dressing them up with an edging, or beads, or something a little closer to the end of the year. Sisters are getting market bags. Another free pattern - & something they will use. I picked up cosmetic gift sets at the after Christmas/ end of the year sales at 50 - 75% off for the girls (& for use as birthday gifts throughout the year) and dad has asked for a hat.
    Don't know WHAT to do for DH though - and his birthday is next week! I've got to come up with something for that! *YIKES!*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Love all this Christmas talk!! Usually get so much flack since I craft Christmas starting in January. Truly makes me warm all over!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks to everyone who liked the rice heating pad idea.
    Most of my homemade gifts include a poem, to make it more personal.

I'm also a scrapbooker and I have done some complete scrapbooks as baby shower gifts. I use the alphabet format. One letter per page.
    "A" is for adorable-"B" is for bubble bath-"C" is for cutie, etc.
    Then all the new mom has to do is add the pictures and she's done with her first scrapbook. Alot of new moms end up becoming scrapbookers this way.

I love this place. I have gotten so many great ideas from you folks!
    Thanks again!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

oh i'm gonna join, but dunno what i can make.
    i could just cry at times knowing i have these skills and no one to do anything for. at least who'd appreciate it.
    my guys dont mind the stuff i've made, there's just not a lotta options for them. what guy needs more than 1 scarf or blanket? lol
    i'll join & try to make some things for them to give their friends/fam. maybe they'll be appreciated since i wont be the one giving it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

perSue,

I saw a book at the library today that I almost picked up. It was a knitting book for men. It had some really great projects in it, including beer cozies. One thing that I thought was a neat idea for a guy was a felted belt. It sounds sissy, but the finished project was really nice. It was all earth colours and looked very good on the model. The book also had a pattern for hunting socks and several very masculine-looking sweaters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

perSue - know what you mean - sometimes I have more ideas that people to give to (and my gift list is long

When I do have extra time, I will make some goodies for the bank and post office employees - people who provide services for me throughout the year. It's always nice to be appreciated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by perSue View Post
    oh i'm gonna join, but dunno what i can make.
    i could just cry at times knowing i have these skills and no one to do anything for. at least who'd appreciate it.
    my guys dont mind the stuff i've made, there's just not a lotta options for them. what guy needs more than 1 scarf or blanket? lol
    i'll join & try to make some things for them to give their friends/fam. maybe they'll be appreciated since i wont be the one giving it.
    You could make gifts for the Angel Tree kids. I don't know if they have that where you live but I am sure they have something similar. That or the Salvation Army usually has something for Christmas for very low income families. Just a suggestion.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I subscribe to a Yahoo Group called Crafts of Life. This was today's post, and I thought it might give some people ideas for gifts this year!

Give the Gift of Craft - Making the Perfect Supply Kit For the Crafter You Love
    By Scott Henderson

If you are a crafter or scrapbooker, you probably know someone who is as enthusiastic about making things as you are. And you probably also know many others who have never tried crafting and swear they don't have a creative bone in their bodies. Both types of friends are a great opportunity to share your love of crafting, with a "made to order" Crafting Kit as a special gift.

When creating a gift for the seasoned crafter or scrapbooker, get a feel for what they already love. Is it fabric crafts? Candles? Stenciling or stamping? Card making? What are their tastes in colors, styles and embellishments? What have they finished lately - and what projects have been languishing?

For the non-crafters in your life (who need some serious converting), consider what other interests they have. Do they travel? Raise a family? Cook or read? Do they admire certain artists or decorating styles? Do they like the things you create?

Now, think about these craft kit gift ideas. They are more than gifts - they are an opportunity to create something wonderful.

Candlemaking 101
    Take an aluminum saucepan - an old one is fine - or buy a new wax melting pot. Fill it with the basics: paraffin, stearic acid, candle wicks, a wax thermometer, fragrance oils, and wax dyes (or crayons). Include a mold and instructions. For the seasoned candle maker, get extravagant with the scents and dyes, as well as specialty wicks. Tie it all up in a ribbon.

Embroidery Fun
    Take an embroidery hoop and several needles, a pattern and instructions, and enough embroidery thread to finish it. Fold them all into a plain shirt or jacket that is crying for embellishment and place in pretty box. Choose the difficulty of the pattern for the beginner or expert.

Beading Time
    Start with an empty egg carton. Fill each compartment with an assortment of beads, sequins, and other stringables. Include several yards of beading thread or wire, and instructions for an appropriate project like a pin or bracelet.

Decoupage Your Heart Out
    Start with a plain paper mache box or container, or an empty cigar box. Fill it with the essentials: decoupage medium, brushes in various sizes, manicure scissors, and patterned paper, collage sheets, or printed vintage images. Write "Decoupage Me" on the box and tie with a ribbon.

Crochet Anyone?
    Begin with a simple sewing case or gift bag. Fill it with several crochet hooks and skeins of yarn, a yarn needle and a beginner's book of small projects.

Stamping Mad
    Into a gift box, put an assortment of rubber stamps for an upcoming holiday or event, stamp pads in several colors, a blender pen, and blank card stock and envelopes. Address one to you.

Paper Mache Dreams
    Combine a package of small, round balloons, a bottle of liquid starch, craft paints, and instructions for several beginner projects like hanging jack o'lanterns, Easter Eggs or Christmas balls. Wrap the box in newspaper with a bow made of torn strips.

Stencil It In
    Fill a plain paper mache or cardboard gift box with an assortment of small craft stencils, acrylic paints, tape or stencil adhesive, and stencil brushes, as well as spray varnish or lacquer.

Gingerbread Mobile Home
    For the cook, find a good gingerbread house project, buy all of the imperishable ingredients, forms and decorations, throw in a set of wooden spoons, and deliver it all in a basket saying "Congratulations On Your New House!"

Ribbon, Ribbon, I've Been Thinkin'
    For the amateur weaver, find project instructions of simple woven placemats made of ribbon on a fusible web backing. Supply the plans, the webbing, and all of the ribbon for a full set. Put it in a bog with the tag "I'll be over for dinner in three weeks."

Scraps Again?
    Select a recent photographed event in your friend's life. Gather together a small scrapbook, appropriate papers and embellishments to fit the theme. Add whatever essentials, like glue sticks and mounting squares, you think will be necessary. Present them in a gift bag, with an offer to go through the photos and help get the layout planned.

I hope these ideas are enough to get your creative engine turning. These gifts can be made even more personal with your offer to help them get started. You may discover that you have kindled a dormant crafting interest - or sparked an aficionado's ambitions. These are truly gifts that keep giving - in fact, the final creation may come back to you with "interest."

Scott Henderson founded Vintage Image Craft (http://www.vintagei magecraft. com) for crafters and scrapbookers who love creating with vintage images. Visit for free ideas, techniques, instructions and vintage image downloads
    Article Source: http://EzineArticle s.com/?expert= Scott_Henderson
    Last edited by madhen; 03-25-2009 at 02:10 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi Madhen. What a great article and awesome ideas. I would love just about any of these as gifts.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast