Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

peanut, yup!

does this count as a kindness???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yep!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I joined FV this month and just saw your thread. If it is not too late, I'd like to get on board this waggon. This one is so personal to me because I've been on the receiving end of charity. I will never forget the face of a woman who was so kind to me when my husband left me. I had a 9 month old toddler daughter, and I was nearly 8 months pregnant with my son. We lived 600 miles away from my family and I was too embarassed to let any of them know what I was going through. We had no food and I struggled to keep on the utilities on. I was a mess! One day, I went to his job to beg him to return home. This woman that worked where he worked, and who also happened to live in our same apartment complex, had obviously observed our encounter. I do not recall her name, but I will never forget her face that same night when the doorbell rang, I opened the door and there she was with several bags of groceries (at least $100 worth). All I could do was cry and give her a hug. I couldn't even get out any words. She said I didn't need to repay her. And honestly I was never able to. Now that I've come so far in my life (my daughter is in her first year at college and my son will be a senior in h.s. next fall) it brings tears in my eyes writing this post. That woman was willing to give her hard earned money to a stranger, with no strings attached. She was an angel at a very dark time for me and I will never forget. The very least I can do is to bless others. Thanks for helping me to remember this important turning point in my life. I'd almost forgotten.
    Last edited by Jilly; 03-23-2009 at 11:34 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow Jilly, what a blessing for you and your family. Mahalo for sharing your story.

Found some spray glitter a friend needed for a church project and delivered it to her today - small thing, but she was thrilled!!

Couldn't afford to do a huge sewing job for free, but did cut the labor cost in half for a customer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What a sad story Jilly! Glad everything worked out okay. Glad to see you jumped onboard with this challenge

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh Jilly! I think we often don't realize what our kindness means to other people. It was so kind of her to do that. I'm so glad she was able to make that difference in your life.

I was able to give a lady some ice-cream buckets and lids to sell her raspberries in this coming summer.

And the blueberry muffins with banana replacing the egg turned out delicious! DH was pigging out on them last night, this morning, and took a couple to work too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I received two canvas tote bags at a seminar today. I gave one to a co-worker who couldn't attend. I know that's not much of act of kindness, especially because I kept the other one for myself. Maybe I should give that one away too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The mom picked up the sewing project last night - was thrilled. When she asked what the cost was, I told her she was gettng the friend's discount. She ended up paying me more than the cost would have been without the discount because she was so happy!!

I have run around today and the best kindness that I shared everywhere I went was enjoying and talking with everyone and listening to them. There were a lot of smiles everywhere.... seems like a gentler time.

Registered User thesightofoneself's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Jilly - i know i wrote that kindness in unlimited but by you keeping and using it you're being kind to the earth
    Last edited by thesightofoneself; 03-24-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Registered User thesightofoneself's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    And the blueberry muffins with banana replacing the egg turned out delicious! DH was pigging out on them last night, this morning, and took a couple to work too.
    :chants: egg free is the way to be!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jilly View Post
    I received two canvas tote bags at a seminar today. I gave one to a co-worker who couldn't attend. I know that's not much of act of kindness, especially because I kept the other one for myself. Maybe I should give that one away too.
    That was really nice of you Jilly!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Minor stuff for me today. I was at a lunch counter at KMart and the staff was trying to get their lunches. One of the ladies came in after me, and some of the others wished her a happy birthday. Naturally I did too, and let her have my place in line. That smile was some reward!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

tsso: I thought you might like to know those blueberry muffins go really well with hm caramel sauce too!

My kindness kind of fizzled. I had a meeting last night and planned to be a better listener. Unfortunately I went into it with a slight headache and came out with a full fledged migraine. I had to interrupt the person in charge and suggest we close the meeting. She disagreed with my assessment and kept going another 20 minutes. I, meanwhile, tried not to vomit all over everything or pass out. I'm secretary so I can't leave till it's done. Thankfully other people noticed my plight and commented it was time to end the meeting. I know there are four other people on the board who do not appreciate the extended meetings. I'm glad I'm quitting this board this year. It's been nothing but a struggle for me.

So I don't know that I did any kindness in the end yesterday. Though I suppose walking by DH with a blueberry muffin doused in caramel sauce, and hence giving him an idea for dessert, could be considered a kindness.

Oh, I know! I lit a nice smelly candle in the bedroom about an hour before DH came home. My romantic DH told me last night at bedtime that he loves having the candles burning and the house smelling nice when he gets home from work. I may have to buy new candles though. I'm suspecting this one of instigating the migraine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh peanut, I hope your migraine goes away quick and you start feeling better. I find it was rude of that person to keep going with the meeting when you asked for it to ajourn.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I helped the elderly lady get on and off the bus today with her rolling backpack. We're on the same route, so I see her nearly everyday and she struggles alot. The driver usually assists her, but there was a different lady driver today and she didn't even budge. Once I overheard the regular driver say that the elderly lady had hip replacements, which make it difficult for her to manage. She seems like I very nice lady.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920 ... LastLast