Cool to be kind challenge - Page 20
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When wandering through Costco today, I chanced upon seasonings. One friend and coworker mentions everytime we bake at school (and use my real vanilla) that she loves it, but never buys any..... and she is a great baker. Today I saw the bottle of 'rea' vanilla, bought it for her and dropped it !!off at her house as an Easter goodie. She was happy; me too

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How thoughtful of you mauimagic!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A neighbor (whom I've never met in person) owns a plot of land that backs up close to my property line (actually, the land sits on her property but it's more visible to mine). I rarely see her and lately her portion has been unkept with weeds growing everywhere. The people who were renting her house had vacated a few weeks earlier. Since I'd purchased pine straw to lay out on my grounds and had some leftovers I decided to put on her grounds as well.

After hours of working on my yard, I was so tired that I just put the bundles of straw on her property with plans to distribute it the next day.

When the doorbell rang early the next day, it was my neighbor. She explained that she had married and had moved out of town and didn't know how bad her previous tenants had let her property slip. She had hired a gardening crew to come later that day to tidy up the grounds. She wanted to know if the straw bundles belonged to me. I told her that she was welcome to keep what I had purchased already. When she asked how much I wanted, I said I had no intention to charge her. I just thought I would help since I also benefit from upkeep of the same area.

She gave me a big hug and we exchanged phone numbers. I promised to keep an eye on her property for her and to alert her if things ever go downhill again.
    Last edited by Jilly; 04-11-2009 at 11:57 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Way to go Jilly! It sure is nice knowing a neighbor is keeping watch over your place.

I was to the Farmer's Market today. It wasn't very busy. I was sans DH so didn't feel rushed. I stopped by the canning lady and picked up some dill pickles and dill carrots. The guy was fumbling for change and I had lots...just not the right amounts for what I was buying. So after I purchased them I asked him if he'd like some change. He said sure. I emptied out my grocery envelope of all the change...over $5 worth! He was happy. So was I.

Lots of smiles for everyone today. It's nice warm sunshiny weather here.

A friend phoned and asked about crafting group today. We canceled it, but I invited her over here this afternoon. I told her I'd be making Blueberry Crepes, but she was welcome to come visit and craft while I did. Besides, I might even break down and do some crafting too...once they're made!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today I made meals for my ex-mil. Haven't been related to her for 20+ years, but it seems she has now forgot how to make the most basic food items. I called her daughter in Fl to let her know what was going to happen, then started cooking. I made chili, goulash, hamburger strogonoff and meatloaf. I put portions into microwave safe portioned dishes and dropped them off on my way to work. At least 8 full meals are covered... If I'd known what was happening I would have had time to plan better instead of going to the grocery and seeing what was cheap to go with what I already had.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That was very nice of you Majorie!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Marjorie - that was so thoughtfull!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You know, there are times when people right under our noses are in need and we don't know. I think it's marvelous you picked up on your ex-mil's need and met it Marjorie.

I'm not sure I've been particularly kind to anyone but DH yesterday. I did have Bible study here, and tried to be quiet more and let others speak. They do have opinions...and it's nice to hear them. We have one quiet lady in our group, and I like to hear her speak up. She can be very wise.

That's about all I can think of. We did go out for a bit and I was all smiles for people. I don't think of things on the spot like you ladies do though. I'm real impressed with how you spontaneously think of nice things to do for strangers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Back to ex-mil's today, this time with meatloaf, spaghetti and 1 1/2 qts. of beef stew. She'd already gone through all the meals I'd made! I need to find a way to do this more frugally.

Registered User thesightofoneself's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marjorie View Post
    Back to ex-mil's today, this time with meatloaf, spaghetti and 1 1/2 qts. of beef stew. She'd already gone through all the meals I'd made! I need to find a way to do this more frugally.
    i'd ask her for some money and ask her what she likes. its fine to do the labor for free. but supplies? only to a certain point, and i think you've reached it

she needs food. either she needs gov. assit. or she can cough up the money.
    Last edited by thesightofoneself; 04-16-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

karma coupon. my benefit? exercise. i hate the pointless walking isle after isle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't think money has really occured to her. She's in a pretty bad way. I'll talk to her daughter or my kids who take her shopping with a list of what would help if it reaches that point. I'm not too sure how long she can keep going like this. It seems as though her decline has been a lot more rapid the last couple of months, and I don't want to confuse her unduly. She is finding so much a struggle now that I don't want to make it worse... Appreciate the thought, tho!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

if shes having mental issues than its better to get everyone together and figure it out now rather than later

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We've been working on it. My son lives in her back apt. and someone is there at least to check on her everyday during the day. Generally she's more difficult to get along with than anything, but she's been out of energy lots lately too. Everyone we've brought in to help her she's gone out of her way to drive out. it seems to be us or nothing. Her daughter is far away and ill, but does as much as she possibly can, down to taking her away for a month or two at a time when she's able. Her daughter will be up again over the summer, and talks to everyone daily to keep up on what's happening. It's clear she would not survive a managed care situation, so we keep doing all we can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Marjorie, you are amazing. This is the same situation my own mother was in towards the end. Not trusting anyone to help but me...and I was 10 hours away by car! Even then, she would not let my DH near the door. She was paranoid about him too. I couldn't have cooked for her even if I was nearby...she simply wouldn't eat anything healthy. If she's a mental health patient on meds, be aware she will probably have an incredible craving for sweets...a side effect of the meds. It might not hurt to ask if she is in fact the only one eating those meals...or if she's sharing them. There might be a reason they're disappearing so fast... Especially if she's sharing with your son...

I've been busy with phone calls today. I had two people phone upset. One was the special needs girl. She has a job in a bad area of town and they have her working an evening shift. She has to take the bus home and last night there were some hefty native men and their girls giving her a rough time at the bus stop. She's scared to take the bus home tonight.

I am already booked to go shopping with DH. I suggested she talk to her shift supervisor immediately about the situation and, if she didn't get a resolution, talk to his supervisor. I also suggested she phone another lady in our church who is a friend of hers and drives. If she couldn't get help either way, she was to give me a call back and I'd see if DH and I could swing round to pick her up at quitting time. This would take considerable twisting of DH's arm though. He views her as a bloodsucker.

I had another friend phone who was discouraged. We talked a long while about things. I tried to lift her spirits a bit. We laugh. We each sit down at 3 pm every day for tea. We may not be able to get together, but we brew our tea and one or the other will phone to chat. She usually phones on days when she's not feeling well. She claims I cheer her up. I'm glad of that. We have good spiritual discussions too. Today we got on the topic of "freedom in Christ" (Gal. 5 and I Cor.) Anyway, it was an interesting day.

tonight I'm making DH one of his favorite meals...sweet and sour meatballs.