Cool to be kind challenge - Page 22
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Peanut, I'm glad that you were able to help others see reality - especially since so many people are getting sick for solong these days - and relapses are too common here this winer. Mahalo for caring!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't had alot of opportunity to be kind to folks lately. I did get a bag of food together for the food bank that the post office was sponsoring on Saturday. That's about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've been busy wheeling and dealing with family and friends to cut cost of re-decorating. It's working out well. I trade them what they want for what I want. In some cases I get a discounted family price on furniture. Not bad. So far I've netted a dresser, a bike and a curio cabinet. I traded a dresser and $215 for the above.

My kindness was to take the time to talk to the special needs girl's mother when she showed up at church the other day. Some people just avoid her because of her issues. However, most of the news comes through her daughter...and I'm just not sure I can trust what a 19 year old says about their mom, special needs or not! I'm glad I took the time with her mom. She has her own problems to deal with...aside from her daughter.

Other than that, we had DD#1 and her DH out for supper this past weekend as a farewell supper and a Mother's Day supper. We've decided we will store stuff for them if need be. But we sure hope they have good luck selling it all on-line! There isn't much room left in this house!

I've been sorting through DD#2's stuff and packing it up in preparation for taking it down to her sometime this year.

I was able to give that lady all the denim finally. She stopped by last week... I was a bit surprised.

I was to a meeting on the weekend to help assess a video presentation and package up some kits for sale at an upcoming conference.

That's all I can think of.

Jean
    Last edited by peanut; 05-11-2009 at 09:55 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What's everyone up to? Any kindnesses happening out there? Today I picked a disabled friend up from an appointment and took her home. I also helped her plan her upcoming move a bit. And I listed some of her furniture on-line for her to sell. Her computer access has been discontinued.

That's about it. what's everyone else up to?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mahalo for bringing us back Peanut.

Yesterday I drove our summer school teaching staff to the other side (1 hour each way) to a meeting.

Found a job for this summer for an old employee.

Loaned my car to my friend for the long weekend - last weekend too, now that I think of it.

I was the recipient of kindness today from my friend who has my car. She brought my lunch to school today - HM veggie/chicken soup. Then I stopped by her house and she gave me dinner for tonight (and two more it looks like) short ribs, asparagus and zucchini!!

Because times are stressful right now, I'm making sure that I take the time to really listen to others.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You've been up to a lot Mauimagic. It feels good to help people, doesn't it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i think this is great challenge:
    last week I gave $5 to the morning breakfast for kids at school program and bought some second hand puzzles to a older person who loves doing them.
    Hmm now this month to give something of my own time. Ill let ya know.
    Last edited by miss_thrifty; 05-23-2009 at 02:45 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mahalo Debbie and Peanut!! Yes it does feel good to be kind.

I realized yesterday that I am really tired of all the drama at school - I'm just letting it all go!! It's not that I don't care, it's just not right to treat others the way that some people are doing. It proved to be useless to fight or try to work with. I'd rather spend my energy in a positive way - everyone wins.

If those who had chosen to be negative want to jump aboard, there is always room for them!!

Have a great day!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's all you can do sometimes is .... just let it go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did the postoffice food thing too.

My main thing that I do is going to a huge nursing home facility to visit a couple times a month. Well, the 'volunteer agreement' was for a couple times a month but I have been trying to go weekly. Will be starting another person, in Aug. or Sept., I think. Told the gal that coordinates it that I wanted to wait until the end of summer. These are people that don't get ANY visitors and one doesn't leave her room except to check her mail. They can absolutely make my day. And you really can't stay much longer than an hour or they get tired.......so what is an hour out of your day??? When you see their eyes light up when they have a 'visitor' it makes it worthwhile.

My latest news on this??? I get to take my dog!!! I can't wait and I will keep you updated. Took his 'vet papers' in on Friday so now it will just be when it can get set up....and him bathed...and his hip healed.
    Last edited by frugalfranny; 05-23-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

They are going to love it Frugalfranny! They say animals are the best thing to bring along to a senior citizens complex...brings them back to the days of their youth. Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nice work FrugalFranny! I used to volunteer in a senior's home too. Those people are so lonely.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My acts of kindness have been very simple for the last few days. One lady needed some help finding something in the grocery store and I showed her where it was and found several of the same item (different brands) cheaper. I've held open doors for folks, one person was in a wheelchair and he seemed to get offended by it. I stopped by to see a friend the other day who has foot problems and can't get out for her daily walks. It was nice to just sit and talk for a while. I took dinner to our Associate pastor and his wife, she had ankle surgery and isn't able to stand for any length of time. And over the holiday weekend, several of our neighbors were out of town and asked us to watch their homes and get their papers. That's it. Not much really.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gapeach View Post
    My acts of kindness have been very simple for the last few days. One lady needed some help finding something in the grocery store and I showed her where it was and found several of the same item (different brands) cheaper. I've held open doors for folks, one person was in a wheelchair and he seemed to get offended by it. I stopped by to see a friend the other day who has foot problems and can't get out for her daily walks. It was nice to just sit and talk for a while. I took dinner to our Associate pastor and his wife, she had ankle surgery and isn't able to stand for any length of time. And over the holiday weekend, several of our neighbors were out of town and asked us to watch their homes and get their papers. That's it. Not much really.
    That's alot! I am sure they all appreciated everything you did for them.

I took dinner down to two friends of ours. They own a greenhouse and are there from 4 in the morning until 10 at night. We hardly see them until the greenhouse is done for the season so I thought they might like a home cooked meal for a change instead of takeout. They were most appreciative.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

gapeach: that is a lot really. I haven't done much lately at all. I'm trying to do nice things for this one friend, but she always seems to be outdoing me. I have to keep reminding myself this is not a competition...and just be friendly with her.

Had a chat with the special needs girl today. She is off work for a week. Her dad is coming from out of town to visit. She maintained she was going to keep all her church commitments. I suggested to her that she might want to take the time with her dad. After all, she hasn't seen him since last September. Her parents are divorced. I don't want her to feel pressured to come to church things. I want her to come because she wants to come.

I've been helping a friend measure furniture, sell her furniture, check into a new apartment, drive her around to apartments. She's disabled and has to move soon.

I have another friend I need to check in with this week who is moving. She is older and downsizing from a house to an apartment. She has asked for help packing as well.

I guess that's about it. Oh, and I take turns driving a lady to church events. But that's ongoing.

Jean

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121920212223 LastLast