Cool to be kind challenge - Page 4
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by l8eebugg View Post
    Told a gentleman in line at store he could go in front of me he only had two items. I needed a price check on an item. He refused, said he was in no hurry.
    I don't have any of these items left, but an idea for someone who might. I used to travel alot and collected the soap, shampoos etc. Found out that they are just what the local women's shelter (domestic violence) likes to have. If you have any floating around I am sure they would appreciate them.

Great suggestion on the soap, shampoos. I often tell people they can go ahead of me in line. Sometimes they do, often they don't. It just feels good to give them that opportunity. Great job!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always let people go in front of me. I shop like I am feeding a small 3rd world country's army (three pubescent boys). If someone only has a few things, I make sure they don't have to wait on me to check out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish I could remember where I first read about this idea, but unfortunately I can not. It was called 'Celebrate Me'. Each month on your birthday day (my birthday is January 8th, so my day would be on the 8th day of each month) you are supposed to do something for yourself. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. It can even be free. Take a bubble bath. Snuggle up on the couch with a good book to read and have me time. Treat yourself to a manicure. Whatever you feel like.

I decided I wanted to take this a step further and have a celebration day each month in 2009 for my DH and my DDs. (I will still do me, too, on the 8th. 'giggle') Today belongs to my DH. Today, I celebrate him. I received 3 gift cards for local restaurants for Christmas and he has been asking when we were going out to dinner and use them LOL. So, I decided to use one today but to go for lunch, which is cheaper (frugal me LOL). Today also happens to be the day that he is leaving to go out of town for work for 6 weeks. I invited my DDs and my DMother so we could all spend a little time together before he left. It was very nice. We dined at Longhorn Steakhouse and it only cost $19 out of pocket (which included the tip) for the 5 of us to eat there. He enjoyed himself and it made him feel very special.
    Last edited by emily_hope; 01-04-2009 at 03:31 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emily_hope View Post
    I wish I could remember where I first read about this idea, but unfortunately I can not. It was called 'Celebrate Me'. Each month on your birthday day (my birthday is January 8th, so my day would be on the 8th day of each month) you are supposed to do something for yourself. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. It can even be free. Take a bubble bath. Snuggle up on the couch with a good book to read and have me time. Treat yourself to a manicure. Whatever you feel like.

I decided I wanted to take this a step further and have a celebration day each month in 2009 for my DH and my DDs. (I will still do me, too, on the 8th. 'giggle') Today belongs to my DH. Today, I celebrate him. I received 3 gift cards for local restaurants for Christmas and he has been asking when we were going out to dinner and use them LOL. So, I decided to use one today but to go for lunch, which is cheaper (frugal me LOL). Today also happens to be the day that he is leaving to go out of town for work for 6 weeks. I invited my DDs and my DMother so we could all spend a little time together before he left. It was very nice. We dined at Longhorn Steakhouse and it only cost $19 out of pocket (which included the tip) for the 5 of us to eat there. He enjoyed himself and it made him feel very special.
    What a wonderful idea. Like I said before, we often forget to be kind to those closest to us and to ourselves. Great job.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A friend of DH's stopped by today for coffee. He is a single older man who doesn't have any family and is quite hard up. I offered him some t-shirts (new ones) that we had lying around (they have lottery sayings on them that I had gotten for free) and he gladly took them. They didn't fit either DH, DS, DFIL or me. I was glad he could use them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What a wonderful challenge. Can't believe this is the first I'm seeing of this. I'm in. I think what I'm going to post on are the ones I plan out in advance. I frequently do nice things spurr of the moment but I don't plan things as intentionally to do for others as often as I would like. I think the first one is that I will go make some of the fudge that DS#2s busdriver really likes so he can give it to her on Tues. She has been the boys elementary school busdriver for several years and they always have great things to say about her.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by emily_hope View Post
    I wish I could remember where I first read about this idea, but unfortunately I can not. It was called 'Celebrate Me'. Each month on your birthday day (my birthday is January 8th, so my day would be on the 8th day of each month) you are supposed to do something for yourself. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. It can even be free. Take a bubble bath. Snuggle up on the couch with a good book to read and have me time. Treat yourself to a manicure. Whatever you feel like. .
    What a great idea. I've been looking for something to celebrate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie-cat View Post
    A friend of DH's stopped by today for coffee. He is a single older man who doesn't have any family and is quite hard up. I offered him some t-shirts (new ones) that we had lying around (they have lottery sayings on them that I had gotten for free) and he gladly took them. They didn't fit either DH, DS, DFIL or me. I was glad he could use them.

What a sweet gesture. I'm sure he is going to enjoy those t-shirts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheRootedNomad View Post
    What a wonderful challenge. Can't believe this is the first I'm seeing of this. I'm in. I think what I'm going to post on are the ones I plan out in advance. I frequently do nice things spurr of the moment but I don't plan things as intentionally to do for others as often as I would like. I think the first one is that I will go make some of the fudge that DS#2s busdriver really likes so he can give it to her on Tues. She has been the boys elementary school busdriver for several years and they always have great things to say about her.

I'm sure she will love this. I know that I would. Wonderful idea for anyone who has a busdriver for their kids. Great job.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I didn't go to church this morning...too cold and I was just plain too tired. I decided to stay home and work on finishing up some projects.

Mid-afternoon I get this phone call from a special needs girl who goes to our church. I am normally not a special needs person...just don't know how to treat kids like that...nothing against them at all...just clueless. Normally I would have brushed this girl off. But a friend and I have decided to take this girl under our wings and try to help her a bit.

Today she was all upset about something that happened at church that was really quite usual for most churches (the minister had sent around a form asking people to volunteer where they felt able). I decided to take the time to talk to her and explain about gifts and interests. And how some churches had people do spiritual gift surveys when they became members to help them figure out where they could fit in. The whole point being to help a person grow spiritually.

The poor child (18) had never been to a church like that before, nor one that ever asked for parishioners help (?!). After calming her down she told me what was happening at church (the new church calendar is out)...and...all in all we had a good conversation where we both gained I think.

I'm very thankful that one of my friends is a special needs teacher. She has told me to just treat her as if she's normal...and not to let her get away with things. Hmm...will be testing that one I think!

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    I didn't go to church this morning...too cold and I was just plain too tired. I decided to stay home and work on finishing up some projects.

Mid-afternoon I get this phone call from a special needs girl who goes to our church. I am normally not a special needs person...just don't know how to treat kids like that...nothing against them at all...just clueless. Normally I would have brushed this girl off. But a friend and I have decided to take this girl under our wings and try to help her a bit.

Today she was all upset about something that happened at church that was really quite usual for most churches (the minister had sent around a form asking people to volunteer where they felt able). I decided to take the time to talk to her and explain about gifts and interests. And how some churches had people do spiritual gift surveys when they became members to help them figure out where they could fit in. The whole point being to help a person grow spiritually.

The poor child (18) had never been to a church like that before, nor one that ever asked for parishioners help (?!). After calming her down she told me what was happening at church (the new church calendar is out)...and...all in all we had a good conversation where we both gained I think.

I'm very thankful that one of my friends is a special needs teacher. She has told me to just treat her as if she's normal...and not to let her get away with things. Hmm...will be testing that one I think!

Jean
    The best way to treat someone with disabilities is to treat them as if they have abilities and not disabilities. They'll respond to you far easier. Great job in explaining what was going on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

homesteadmamma is right. Just treat them as a normal young adult....but be aware... your friend is right they will try and take advantage of their disabilities sometimes..lol. I worked with special needs kids in the schools and they can be tricky and sneaky like any other child!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know it sounds like such a cliche, but I make a point of smiling at everyone -- especially at those who don't have ones of their own! My hubby used to tell me I probably scared people: some people just aren't used to friendly people (I'm big on saying hello and introducing myself, especially to "wallflowers" at parties.)

I was pleased (and frankly a little startled) this morning when I gave a cheery smile to someone, and she beat me to the "good morning." Nice. I loved it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Helped an older gentlemen to the door of a shop. Couldn't believe that he could hardly walk and out paying his bills! He was very thankful and it made me feel good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minner77 View Post
    I know it sounds like such a cliche, but I make a point of smiling at everyone -- especially at those who don't have ones of their own! My hubby used to tell me I probably scared people: some people just aren't used to friendly people (I'm big on saying hello and introducing myself, especially to "wallflowers" at parties.)

I was pleased (and frankly a little startled) this morning when I gave a cheery smile to someone, and she beat me to the "good morning." Nice. I loved it.
    My mother was really good at this until she had surgery. She would smile and say hi to anyone on the street. Great job Mary.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast