Fling 2009 Things in 2009 Challenge!! - Page 104
Page 104 of 130 FirstFirst ... 45494101102103104105106107114 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 1943
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Judi, you can always make it a "fling as many things as possible by the end of 2009" challenge.

I think every messy person probably sees a bit of themselves in the "hoarder" episodes. I don't know if I resemble some of the mindsets because I have a bit of hoarder in me or because hoarders just take normal human considerations and exaggerate them. The guy last night who didn't want to toss any of his magazines because he was worried there might be something in one of them that would be useful to him reminded me of myself. The show is far more interesting with the volume on, because then you hear their rationalizations, rather than just see the mess, and you can hear your own mind agreeing with a lot that they say, but then see the consequences of taking such reasoning to an extreme.

I have always operated on the premise that knowledge is power. The reasons these people use for their messes are reasons I can totally relate to, but I can also see how it can be taken to an extreme, and it has made me stop an re-evaluate what is really valuable to me. One episode in particular was about a guy who wanted to write a book, but didn't have a quiet space in which to sit and be creative, because the mess was so bad, it consumed him emotionally. It made me think about how the mess, in my peripheral vision, can be a constant drain on me emotionally and physically. My house doesn't look like those houses, but I do have piles in areas, like you, and I don't like them!! Last night's show, in particular, with the guy who wouldn't give up his stuff even though his girlfriend had tripped on it and broken her arm falling down a flight of stairs, made me really evaluate what is important and what is just "stuff."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Judi- do what you need to do,call it what you need to call it but keep on going, your going strong. I know for me physical clutter does equal mental unhapiness. And lack of energy from it. The single thread running threw this is an event that the people found too much to bare or deal w/. They became overwhelmed.
    Then the shame reverberated. If anyone knew. Then the isolation, which leads to more unhappines. (Dog chases tail)
    Every time I lose motivation I watch a clip. Does it every time.
    I hadn't noticed they were our age. That chills. Maybe midlife motivates.

Today I sorted all sauces and flavorings. So sad a whole storage tub of stuff must be dumped. And more to come.Not feeling too healthy today so progress is SLOW.

SKW6559- Don't feel bad. I threw out 6 medicine spoons the other day.?? (kid are 16 and 18) and even if they were from when my DH was in an accident that was 4.5 years ago too. Things just hide. Esp. sheets,they cower if the back of the linen closet.

Sassyclass- make sure you clean all around or they will follow the scent trail and be back. After this summer I am an ant behaiorists.LOL

Madhen-that show is my new shock therapy!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Box 7 delivered, box 8 was not, I ran out of time before work. I also put one of the cull/research boxes in the storage, 85 things out (2 boxes, 83 individual books) I grabbed 3 boxes from the storage, making my total for today 80 thing flung!

Judi

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

18 items out the door today!! I had some old canning jars that were weird sizes or too big, so I Freecycled them. I also found two cardboard boxes to put them in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior View Post
    Judi- do what you need to do,call it what you need to call it but keep on going, your going strong. I know for me physical clutter does equal mental unhapiness. And lack of energy from it. The single thread running threw this is an event that the people found too much to bare or deal w/. They became overwhelmed.
    Then the shame reverberated. If anyone knew. Then the isolation, which leads to more unhappines. (Dog chases tail)
    Every time I lose motivation I watch a clip. Does it every time.
    I hadn't noticed they were our age. That chills. Maybe midlife motivates.
    FW, I don't know, this reminds me of being caled "crazy." I got called crazy the first time around 1st grade, about the time I was first put in therapy. I don't ever remember NOT having the stigma that I wasn't "quite right" as I was something < 6 or so.

I remember vividly having things disappear while I was in boarding school, things being stolen when I lived at home, arguing about what to watch on MY TV, etc. ad naseum. I had no privacy, no sacred spaces emotionally OR physically...everyone else was entitled to nice things and privacy and to know anything about me or my stuff, but I wasn't as good, so I wasn't... was the way the mantra went.This continued at least up through my 1st husband and my divorce at 20. (He gave away everything of mine that arrived in Germany after I left, if I wasn't there, why should he care?)

By that time, I'd integrated all of this and "learned" (been programmed?) that if I kept things nice or cared about them, people would break them, ridicule them, or steal them. The safest course was to act as if nothing mattered. The extra bonus benefit was that no one visited, and that wasn't bad at all.

So, here I am trying to break this programming. I panic if I start to have a nice place or a routine that will make it so, I'll be "attacked" again or so my gut believes. It's frustrating and irritating and damnedly slow to whittle away at myself and try and whittle away at the stuff in a way that doesn't bring on the panic.

I thought PTSD was a bitch and a 1/2 to beat as my flashback event (being a 3 yo grieving for their mother, completely helpless and overwhelmed with pain) was devastating. I've lived with going back to that (flashing back) as long as I can remember, I thought I WAS crazy and emotionally defective/immature as I just couldn't "get over" it.

But this is actually harder. The "scared" person there is a 3 yo, not my 50+ yo self. This is ME, NOW, and I just f'n panic inside at the idea of living without all the crud. I can make myself do things like cull the books down, and clean, but I can't contemplate a "clean" house, or I freak out. Makes decorating a bit of a challenge as you might imagine!

Ah well, I'm working on it, and I'm trying my best, and that's all I can do. If that's not good enough, tough.

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Flung 9 items over the last couple of days. Plugging right along

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

freecycled 20 kids magazines to 2 very nice children

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well I was going to say I hadn't flung anything but the cat just smashed my kitty teapot I was considering donating so 1 thing today. Organized a bunch in the pantry.
    chipping away.

Judi--pm'd ya
    Also turned out to be the coil on the dryer $30. Good thing too.Apparently the van has 3 brake lights out. Now my DH says he can fix the washer for $80. It doesn't empty on second rinse. No tax credit for me w/ DH around LOL. So glad he could do it. Now just need to fix the printer, figure out why my computer keeps dropping sites, fix the faucet out front, fix DH laptop,get new phones,get a new dishwasher, Blah Blah, Blah. Sounds like life to me...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

22 more items flung - old software and a 3 1/2" disk (!!) from the weird little closet upstairs!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Flung 4 dozen canning jars. More to post and get rid of!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Madhen-I just get this picture of you running threw the house w/ a garbage bag stalking things.lol
    Good job peanut.
    Worked in the pantry for an hour. Threw out several food items that had expired.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

At least I finally broke the 1,000 mark this month!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just flung 6 months worth of dirt and dust off my laundry closet's floor. (I'm so ashamed.) I'm counting 1 fling!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Researched, priced, etc. 25 books this a.m., need to print out tags, but otherwise, they're ready to go to the antique store.

Today is dump day...HURRAH~ There's the books that I mentioned earlier to go out (I didn't get to the thrift shop yesterday all I managed to do was deliver the books to the bookstore, drop off a box to the storage and pick up 3 more!) Be that as it may, I also have a package of tube squeezer dodads to go to the dump, and the package to take to the postoffice before work this afternoon. I'll post my total when I get back tonight!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kmonokwe, I think you ought to get one fling point per month.