Frugal Village Forums banner

Fling 2009 Things in 2009 Challenge!!

71K views 2K replies 50 participants last post by  Judi Dial 
#1 ·
I enjoyed the fall fling in 2008, but now that I've flung 1,000 items, I want to see if I can de-clutter even further.

I am starting two months' late, but I am going to try to fling 2009 things this year. Just to add a twist, though, if I bring anything (other than groceries or necessary items [i.e, new hammer or something]) INTO the house, I am going to subtract it from my total flung. :) So skeins of yarn, strings of beads, new clothes, all that stuff, if it is semi-permanent, it gets counted against things flung.

As of tonight, I am at zero, and I hope to get things started moving OUT of the house tomorrow! :)

#30 ·
23 so far! this challenge finally has me cleaning my room a bit.

#31 ·
Good luck all! I'll be lurking on this one but may set some smaller flinging goals. I am waiting for yardsaleing season to do anything large. During the fall fling I did a lot of flinging that I just made go away. This time I'd like to go back to turning some of it into cash.

#32 ·
I am counting a small trash bag as one for the paper count but I have two large bags of books ready to take to school for the classroom giveaway. (We have alot of kids who don't have books, so I keep a shelf that they can borrow from..which usually means they don't come back which is ok) and I plan on going through my closet today to bless my mom. Now here bag won't leave until spring break but I will count it since I nver go back in it. So after last nights mini declutter, I am at 76/2009. Thanks for the motivation to get rid of this stuff!

Reactions: madhen
#34 ·
I am on for this challenge too. I started decluttering my house at the first of the year but still have a lot to do and haven't even started the garage yet. I haven't touched it since DHs death 2 1/2 years ago. I think I am finally ready emotionally to take this on.(Yes, grieving is a long, long process). I have no doubt that between the house, the garage and the shed I will have 2009 items to toss. Now if I can just stop bringing things in..........Oh my DS will be storing some things here while he is travelling and looking for work. I don't have to count the things he stores here do I??:eek:

Reactions: madhen
#37 ·
I was so busy today but I did toss out 4 things. Not the quota of 6+ for a day but close.

#38 ·
i bought groceries... but i ate most of them... :ponder: i dont know which is sadder.

Reactions: sabrelvssammy
#41 ·
How did you add four items today madhen? What did you buy??????.....more yarn? :D

#40 ·
I have decided that for me I will not count my son's things unless I borrow, use or otherwise appropriate an item. Then I will have to count it as brought in. I have no idea how long it will take him to find work. I will not count groceries, etc only semi-permanent items as brought in or flung.

I got one item from Freecycle today so I am at -1.

#43 ·
I'm excited, one of my daughters friends is drive their little truck back to see her and I can send the stuff I have here that is her's along with them!

Tubs of stuff and some boxes too. I've moved it all to the living room for now to pack it down, but Friday it's going to go 'home'!!!! It will be a big bunch of stuff out of the house and out of the garage and no longer taking up room!!!

It's a big weight lifted! I know she can use it and it's sooo expensive to ship.

#44 ·
That's great redeme! It is so nice to get stuff out of the way.

That makes sense then madhen! I just had a sense that you bought more knitting stuff! :lol3:

#46 · (Edited)
Good thing you've got a year to do it!!

I have to seriously start to de-clutter my closets again. I swear, if I leave anything at all in there, it breeds as soon as the door is closed.

#48 ·
Subtracting two off my fling list. Early this morning I picked up a skein of cotton yarn and a sweater for my Mom for Christmas on sale for $5. Planning on flinging some things when I get back from the city as I am sure I will be in the red then. :D

#49 ·
my room is starting to look good. real good.

#53 ·
If I buy a Christmas present and bring it into the house do I count that? It isn't technically going to stay in the house. Only until December 25. :D

#55 ·
I wouldn't count presents. I don't think they fall into the "semi-permanent" category. :)

If you wanted to be a stickler, though, you could count it against your total now, then add it in at Christmas and nullify it. ;)

#57 ·
Flung one thing today. That puts me at 0

Sure don't get much tossed out whenever you are playing outside all day.:cheer4:

#58 ·
i'm getting there. i have to finish cleaning out my room by mid-friday so i cant wait to see the total count. down side? nothing to fling when everything is gone. 2009 is going to be a long journey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.