Frugal Village Forums banner

Fling 2009 Things in 2009 Challenge!!

71K views 2K replies 50 participants last post by  Judi Dial 
#1 ·
I enjoyed the fall fling in 2008, but now that I've flung 1,000 items, I want to see if I can de-clutter even further.

I am starting two months' late, but I am going to try to fling 2009 things this year. Just to add a twist, though, if I bring anything (other than groceries or necessary items [i.e, new hammer or something]) INTO the house, I am going to subtract it from my total flung. :) So skeins of yarn, strings of beads, new clothes, all that stuff, if it is semi-permanent, it gets counted against things flung.

As of tonight, I am at zero, and I hope to get things started moving OUT of the house tomorrow! :)

#1,402 ·
In regards to kmonokwe's statement, I was thinking FW.... the junk we have been throwing out just demonstrates how old we are! :laugh: Wait until she is that old and she will have just as much to throw out! :D

#1,403 ·
Hehe, I suppose you may be right. I'm just impressed that you're chunking it all! My folks have a good bit of clutter tucked away in their house - I can imagine it would be pretty daunting, trying to dig through and start fresh!

#1,405 ·
I took two boxes of books to the storage unit today (+2) but I brought back 1 that's cataloged ready to go to the bookstore adn two to make up another box (-3). When I get the boxes delivered and the stuff sorted out (likely to be Thursday or so) then I'll deduct the amount of books, but right now, they're just boxes!

Judi

#1,409 ·
Ok, I'm not going to deduct/add boxes any more, that was TOO confusing to figure out. I delivered 2 boxes today, for 147 books out. Also I took a bookcase to the storage so that's another too!

Judi

(I had ended up -1 with the boxes I added/subtracted. I added one to my total to neutralize that and then made the adjustments for the books and bookcase as above.

#1,414 ·
frugalwarrior-temp as valuemom. Viruses hit my computer and wrecked all my passwords.
-flung 116 paperback books
-flung 55 hardcovers books
-flung 6 cassette tapes
-flung 75 music CD's
All will hit the library tomorrow. They are already in the car.
My DH cleaned out a junk drawer and flung 1/2 a garbage bag.
The mattress set are scheduled to go Tues of this week and mon of next as its too much to take at once.

On a lighter note we flung about 5000 yellow jackets out of our yards today. Goodbye Wasps.

#1,415 · (Edited)
frugalwarrior-as valuemom
breakfast fling
-136 books(have 13 bags in car to go)
-old remote
-sad mouse pad
-old instructions
-cleaned out computer "favorites"
-donating 16 tapable new vcr tapes
-about 24 new cd jewel cases
My DH is being surprisingly compliant w/ this. He leaves again soon. So I'll catch him while I can. LOL.
MORE
VCR Tapes
-Star Wars trliogy
-2001 a space odyssey
-Alien Resurrection
-box set Monty Python Flying Circus
-Box Set-Wallace and Grommet
Tossing a scratched copy of Final Fantasy SHHH!!

#1,419 ·
I'm giving up on this thread. I'm bringing more in than is going out! My friends keep giving me crafting stuff that I just have to have! It's embroidery threads, fabric, etc. I do use the stuff, so it's hard to say 'No'! In fact, I'd like more of it! But it kind of messes with my flinging. I decided tonight I'm flinging $20 towards a friend who has been flinging me her late mom's crafting supplies. I may as well support her hobbies too!

#1,420 ·
Peanut - Thats a stitch.LOL sorry. Seriously, your flinging money and i am flinging bees.

Tonight kids and I went through board games. Giving away 31 but still keeping 17. I already gave away over 100 to the Boy Scouts 4 years ago. We are SUCH accumulators. I didn't go to one G.sale today even though my neighbor had 1/2 house of Denmark new supplies. YEah me.
The thing I am most proud of is its leaving right away. Usually I pile it up and seasons change.KWIM??
Forgot I also cleaned out the living romm computer desk too. Closets be frightened!!!lol.

#1,422 ·
Moved the desk upstairs again today. We seem to be doing this every 5 or 6 months, which is a good deal for flinging, each time we move, I reevaluate and reorganize. The accumulation wasn't bad this time, and I flung what I'm going to call 24. I'm not done yet, either. Flung some coupons, some printed pages for knitting ideas I'll never even think about making (some given to me by my mother), and so on. Every little bit counts!

#1,424 ·
Forgot to post yesterday I guess
-1/2 van full of xmas decorations and stuff
-air popcorn popper
-3 drawer plastic storage container
-8 ceramic plates and 4 bowls
-unlisted black prom shoes (too sm. DD)
-2 hard cover books
-george Foreman grill-jumbo size new
-futon mattress and frame
-3 old printers
-metal storage shelving large
-vintage pyrex in a basket
-6 snowman ornaments

and I'm sure more to come as i go thru my winter wardrobe after the weight losss.

#1,426 ·
peanut, I stopped counting craft items coming in, because they are all components to items, rather than items in and of themselves (if that makes sense). So yarn, fabric, etc, doesn't get counted.

Today, I policed the pasture, threw out some old financial records, and tossed some seeds that I think are too old to be viable anymore. I'm giving myself 10 points.

#1,427 ·
I was good today. We didn't go to the community Labor Day sale in the next town. They have a white elephant (furniture, housewares, games, etc.), a book stall, and used clothing. Any and all of it have been the source of stuff that's in the house. I looked around the house last night and just couldn't face the idea of finding room for anything else, so I woke DH up in the middle of the night and said, "We're not going." And we didn't.

Sigh. It's one of my favorite places to get stuff cheap.

Judi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.