Frugal Village Forums banner

Fling 2009 Things in 2009 Challenge!!

71K views 2K replies 50 participants last post by  Judi Dial 
#1 ·
I enjoyed the fall fling in 2008, but now that I've flung 1,000 items, I want to see if I can de-clutter even further.

I am starting two months' late, but I am going to try to fling 2009 things this year. Just to add a twist, though, if I bring anything (other than groceries or necessary items [i.e, new hammer or something]) INTO the house, I am going to subtract it from my total flung. :) So skeins of yarn, strings of beads, new clothes, all that stuff, if it is semi-permanent, it gets counted against things flung.

As of tonight, I am at zero, and I hope to get things started moving OUT of the house tomorrow! :)

#1,453 ·
No, I didn't see the cat lady...I HAVE to find this show horders! What night is it on?

#1,457 ·
Well, I hate to say it but I understand these people more than I'd like. I am so glad we're getting rid of lots of stuff. The possibilities are opening up. I still feel overwhelmed w/ the condition of this house but things have changed a lot in just a month. I feel I have to do this because I am afraid of being older and ill and unable. Dh's accident really turned life upside down but doesn't have to define the rest of our lives totally. I have encountered a lot less resistance about needing to keep things than I thought we would. They don't necessarily have the focus I do but no one is crying over dumping stuff.

I definately dread cleaning out DD's room though. She feels the most personally attached to her stuff and her room. Scary cluttered. Can't even go there yet.

I still want to try to pear down to basics but i figure that will take a couple of go rounds. We wouldn't want to overwhelm our S.A. LOL.?

#1,458 ·
UGH...just checked and we don't seem to get it. I will have to continue to watch for it though as you just never know. :)

#1,459 ·
I was very sympathetic to the guy who said he couldn't start because his perfectionism would make him have to do it exactly right, and he knew he couldn't. When I go into deep cleaning mode, I get very OC about it.

#1,460 ·
71 things packed up and ready to go out the door in the morning.

#1,461 ·
Madhen-At least you can if you want. I use a lot of rubberbands and plastic bags but people just disorganize everything anyway. Went DH helped me get all the cleaning supplies out of the work room he just grabbed. I got upset because they were all organized by rows of kinds (dish soap,polish,etc.). I didin't think to say anything because it would be obvious to me. So I had to sort them. More time wasted. So yeah I am OC about cleaning but I have realized this crowd needs less stuff around too. They are disorganizers not organizers.

#1,462 ·
FW, I'm not much of a team player, probably why I live alone. ;) I realize the need to set my own values and procedures aside somewhat when I'm trying to have a relationship (work or otherwise), but it really grates on me to do so. My mother says it is because I'm selfish, and she is probably right!!

#1,464 ·
Madhen-theres a reason my car comes w/ headlights instead of laser beams. KWIM. I try and be patient w/ people but I am not. My mother is always calling people selfish too. She is a martyr and has anger issues because of it in my opinion. (which i keep to myself because I have a good relationship w/ her). It is so difficult to keep a good balance.

#1,465 ·
Flung
2 old office chairs
not very focused today. Tired. Luckily DH is in the work room flinging away!! 3 garbage bags so far. He's scrubbing the floor as we have had back ups. I need to go thru the paint.Some must be 15 years old. That will cost me but I don't care. I did take the garbage to the curb. I love pickup day. The last bed goes tomorrow too. Yeah.!!

#1,466 ·
You must feel so free FW! That is how I feel anyway when I get into the flinging mode. Good for you. Think of how nice and clean and organized is when everything is done. Get some rest ... you deserve it! :)

#1,468 ·
flea market today flung:
a bunch of small kids toys
3 puzzles
16 unopened packs of playing cards LOL
a emergency radio thing
an electric kinara
and a bunch of other things i seriously cant remember but am glad are gone LMAO

i also helped myself to a 3 pieces of jewelry my cousin tried to put on the table to sell

#1,469 ·
DebC-I am crabby. Ask my family, or anyone who saw me today. LOL I am never satified w/ myself and the more I do the more I realize the situation. I will level out. I just get frustrated because the rest of the family hides instead of helps so i am constantly seeking. If I had about $5000. to throw at repairs and replace things would be better too. Patience.

Flung
-DS baby hockey outfit (ouch)
-2 shop lights but replaced w/ 2 new ones
-a ton of food from the refridge (far from clean)
Just in a mood today. Sundays are hard for me. We need a new dryer,dishwasher,furnace,hot water heater, and washing machine. Blah.

#1,470 ·
Ok, the things I"m missing! I have NO idea what show you're talking about. One of the things we flung over a year ago was our TV as we had only turned it on once in 2 years. So what is the show and WHAT are you guys talking about?

It sounds a bit like a woman I know in another forum who was a "friend" of mine. She's a pro organizer. Then she asked me if I would be on her program despite the fact that she knows my house is the way it is due to trauma. I didn't have to think about it for more than a few seconds before the NO answer came out.

And, of course, the "friendship" vanished.

I was surprised and a bit hurt as I thought she actually liked me, no she just saw a good victim!

Anyway, from the "hints" you've got above, that's what it reminded me of, and I'm curious if it's the same woman's show or another or...?

Judi

#1,471 ·
Apparently (I haven't seen it yet) it is a show called Hoarders and it is about people who keep everything! But like I said, I haven't seen it so I can comment on it too much but I really want to see it! :)

#1,472 ·
Judy-Its a show about people who live in horrible,unsanitary conditons. A lot if not most have OCD and this is how it presents itself. One man couldn't throw anything related to his mother away including junk mail and the mattress she passed away on. He felt it would dishonor her memory. He had guilt because he wasn't with her at her actual passing. Had OCD.

Last show a young man had tons of garbage in the house and coudn't throw away his dogs furballs. His father was an alcoholic who wouldn't seek treatment. His father had over 1000 empty liquor bottles in the house.
The other case involved an old lady and her Dh who took in cats. She totally believed she was taking care of them when no one else would but they were sick due to lack of vet care and mostly feral.
The show is chilling because of the magnitude of the situation but also because the people don't see their circumstances realistically. Most have OCD and have placed squewed sp. values on objects. These catastrophic physical messes are manifestations on their thoughts. KWIM. Most people can't live in filth like that. They bring in councelors to help them thru the process and cleaners and sometimes law enforcement officers if needed. The show is called hoarders. I don't know the womens name.

#1,476 ·
whenever i watch HOARDERS it makes me cry a little. i feel so bad for those people basically paralyzed with the inability to let go, it is so sad, but thankfully i do feel the show overall treats them with respect

#1,477 ·
Hmm. I don't think I have OCD. I know that I have to get rid of stuff and I do. I have psych. problems related to being raised by an abusive alcoholic as my primary caretaker. She/her daughter would take, break, make fun of, etc. the things in my room. I learned NOT to act like I valued anything as it then became a target.

My analysis of my mess (and except for the kitchen/bath it might be unsanitary?) and the reasons for it are that I was trained like a damned Pavlovian dog to not feel safe in my own space if I treated things nice. So, yeah, it's a compulsion, but I know it's wrong and I fight it! I don't think I'm a hoarder, I think I'm a person who used stuff to feel safe. I can (obviously) get rid of stuff. I have a problem feeling safe if my house is clean, and I'm working hard on it.

DH needs a clean house, his family crap mandates it. My family crap made us a messy house. I have a deadline, next June...I want to have a 30th wedding anniversary party, here. To do that, I have to get rid of several thousand things and/or find places to put them. And, as I said, I'm working on it.

I don't want to watch that show, I think. It sits a little too close to home. You don't get that bent without a lot of good reasons for it usually. I'd likely find it very sad, and be angry for the poor folk being exploited so someone could make money selling a TV program. Ick.

Judi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.