Frugal Village Forums banner

Fling 2009 Things in 2009 Challenge!!

71K views 2K replies 50 participants last post by  Judi Dial 
#1 ·
I enjoyed the fall fling in 2008, but now that I've flung 1,000 items, I want to see if I can de-clutter even further.

I am starting two months' late, but I am going to try to fling 2009 things this year. Just to add a twist, though, if I bring anything (other than groceries or necessary items [i.e, new hammer or something]) INTO the house, I am going to subtract it from my total flung. :) So skeins of yarn, strings of beads, new clothes, all that stuff, if it is semi-permanent, it gets counted against things flung.

As of tonight, I am at zero, and I hope to get things started moving OUT of the house tomorrow! :)

#1,478 · (Edited)
Ok, 12 bookcases are in the attic, full. (+12)

In the process of doing this, I boxed up the books I brought home yesterday and instead of the 1 box I counted it as, it's 4 so (-3).

Also in the process of doing this, I moved books into the shelves and out of boxes in the attic. Specifically, I emptied 6 boxes and I have one FULL trashcan. I forgot! I threw out 4 books too... (+11)

My net for the day, except for the allergy attack (I'm allergic to dust mites!) is 23-3 = +20.

Judi

#1,481 ·
Judi, thanks for sharing your progress here - it is really inspiring! I saw Hoarders after the discussion here last night (A&E also has it on their website, for anyone who still hasn't seen it and wants to), and it really is sad. Its hard for me to imagine real people living in these conditions, and I hope that some people might actually be getting helped by the show (I try to be an optimist :)). At any rate, I am impressed by your courage and your progress - so keep it coming!! :)

Reactions: Judi Dial
#1,482 ·
non-flinging day so far. Transported kids,got 96# dog food,went to dry cleaners for drop off,hung DS washed 2 loads,washed drapes twice. Watched Buffy the Vampire DVD-trying to pare down dvd/videos even further.

Judy,I really didn't find any exploitation going on in the show. She monitored their comfort level,kept explaining they were in charge,that they could stop at any time. They wanted to do it but needed the backup. Not all of them completed. The show can come close to home but I found it helpful. None of my earlier comments were personalized to you,I swear. If you got that impression I'm sorry. We all have our battles. Both my DM and My DH were abused. I guess I was bullied emotionally too. Everyone has issues. WE all have cobwebs to clear.

#1,484 ·
Judy,I really didn't find any exploitation going on in the show. She monitored their comfort level,kept explaining they were in charge,that they could stop at any time. They wanted to do it but needed the backup. Not all of them completed. The show can come close to home but I found it helpful. None of my earlier comments were personalized to you,I swear. If you got that impression I'm sorry. We all have our battles. Both my DM and My DH were abused. I guess I was bullied emotionally too. Everyone has issues. WE all have cobwebs to clear.
Not to worry, I not THAT sensitive! And I'm glad that it isn't just people being exploited! I think I'm twitchy coz of the person who wanted to put ME on public TV about that. But again, I took NONE of your comments as directed at me, I really am NOT that sensitive.

I AM sensitive about the fake friendship I was offered, when it was just a ploy to get her and her camera crew etc. (like 12 people?) in my house.

But no one at frugal has ever been judgmental or nasty to me about it, so I don't take it personally. If I did, I wouldn't participate here and I SURE wouldn't talk about it!!!

FW, we're fine. I'm fine. And I apologize for being so judgemental, as you can tell, I have reasons, but still, I should have asked and gotten the answer BEFORE I passed judgement.

Ah well, I'm human today. I was yesterday too, funny how that works!

Thank you for caring my friend --

Judi

#1,486 ·
Judy-were good on this side too. Just wanted to make sure.

I was not motivated tonight so i watched some clips on Hulu and vroom I'm off. I cleaned about 1/2 of the 1/2 bath. Still have toilet and floor but my lungs needed a break. i toss more than I thought should be in there and refilled t.p and cleaned the cabinet and sink and toilet back. I will pinesol more and bleach later. I have not taken it down in longer than I care to admit. I'm letting the light fixture cool and in gets it too.LOL. The wallpaper needs replacing but not now. I found some old pattern when we cleaned the work room.

#1,489 ·
Bless you Mad hen and good morning. If cat hair is worth double my drapes alone yesterday were worth 90000 points. Thought I broke the washer.LOL ok maybe not so funny.

Cleaned out under DH sink cabinet
flung
-cat scoop
-cup/mug
-2 bottles of ancient soft scrub
-a sponge
-nat'l geo mag.
-old bulb
2 hair dying t-shirts
As a bonus I found I can color my hair 14x free and that were out of razors. Organization used to be my friend and will be again despite the "Others".

#1,490 ·
Crud,out of time gotta get DD. Cleaned above toilet topper and sink of DH.
Flung
-6 old razors
-toilet brush
-3 old toothbrushes
-a rusty can of old deoderant??
-tons of dust (he has been maintaining the bath-HA)
-a whole waste basket full of asst. gunk and bits
-pulled the old soap dish off the wall. He will not be happy but its warping and no one here uses hand bar soap. Looks great and one more embarrasement chipped awaay.!!!!

#1,496 ·
Flung tonight
-20 plates/1 bowl sakura china
-coke xmas igloo cookie jar
-metal puppy door hanger
-musical figurine
10 cornflower tea cups
9 glass glasses
-airwick nightlight new
-old plastic shower mat-replaced w/1 I already had
-too large black shirt
-10 asst. canning jars
-12 jelly jars
-basting brush and 6 pc. BBq set
-11 vhs tapes
-20 taper candles
-HC book
-xmas mug
-garlic roaster
-grip-it mat
-sq. wooden bowl and 3 pc. lotion set
-5 dated ornaments
-pizza crisper pan
-xmas bag votive holder
-Dublin crystal candle holder new
-knife block set

More to come later. Lungs need a rest.
Forgot to say-loaded for drop off tomorrow. This has been one of my shortfalls in the past. To stack it up and not ever take it.

#1,499 ·
Go Judi,Go Madhen,
Cleaned my broom closet. Did you know a broom can actually fit in there now??
Flung
-accumulated plastic and paper bags
-damaged swiffer pads
-donating ironing organizer
-donating antique iron (ouch)
Cleaned it out and put extra cleaning products downstairs.
Light bulbs now live in the bsmt. And shelves are labeled. Yeah!!

#1,500 ·
Well I finally got around to updating this. The last few weeks I have flung lots of papers, old make-up, old meds, nasty ripped up shirts, and I even sorted through a container of nails and threw out bent nails. We are getting ready to put the plastic up on our deck porch so I'm getting a head start on the nails. So I added another 266 items. I may make this yet.

Cat

#1,501 ·
There is 105 days left to reach your 2009 flinging total everyone! :D

No pressure or anything.... :D

Reactions: madhen
#1,503 ·
Gosh, I've gotta get kickin! :)

Yesterday I flung two old newspapers, a pile of receipts and papers, and a lemon (at least, I think it was a lemon!) from the fridge. I going to go see what else I can fling from the fridge. (Adding 4 to my total.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.