Fling 2009 Things in 2009 Challenge!! - Page 99
Page 99 of 130 FirstFirst ... 498996979899100101102109 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 1943
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Apparently (I haven't seen it yet) it is a show called Hoarders and it is about people who keep everything! But like I said, I haven't seen it so I can comment on it too much but I really want to see it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Judy-Its a show about people who live in horrible,unsanitary conditons. A lot if not most have OCD and this is how it presents itself. One man couldn't throw anything related to his mother away including junk mail and the mattress she passed away on. He felt it would dishonor her memory. He had guilt because he wasn't with her at her actual passing. Had OCD.

Last show a young man had tons of garbage in the house and coudn't throw away his dogs furballs. His father was an alcoholic who wouldn't seek treatment. His father had over 1000 empty liquor bottles in the house.
    The other case involved an old lady and her Dh who took in cats. She totally believed she was taking care of them when no one else would but they were sick due to lack of vet care and mostly feral.
    The show is chilling because of the magnitude of the situation but also because the people don't see their circumstances realistically. Most have OCD and have placed squewed sp. values on objects. These catastrophic physical messes are manifestations on their thoughts. KWIM. Most people can't live in filth like that. They bring in councelors to help them thru the process and cleaners and sometimes law enforcement officers if needed. The show is called hoarders. I don't know the womens name.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Apparently, It's already up on HULU.
    The woman w/ the ultra hygiene and shower tools is up there and the cats too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks FW! I will check HULU

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Your welcome. But be prepared. It will get ya. Can't believe what a fire it put under my butt.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

whenever i watch HOARDERS it makes me cry a little. i feel so bad for those people basically paralyzed with the inability to let go, it is so sad, but thankfully i do feel the show overall treats them with respect

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hmm. I don't think I have OCD. I know that I have to get rid of stuff and I do. I have psych. problems related to being raised by an abusive alcoholic as my primary caretaker. She/her daughter would take, break, make fun of, etc. the things in my room. I learned NOT to act like I valued anything as it then became a target.

My analysis of my mess (and except for the kitchen/bath it might be unsanitary?) and the reasons for it are that I was trained like a damned Pavlovian dog to not feel safe in my own space if I treated things nice. So, yeah, it's a compulsion, but I know it's wrong and I fight it! I don't think I'm a hoarder, I think I'm a person who used stuff to feel safe. I can (obviously) get rid of stuff. I have a problem feeling safe if my house is clean, and I'm working hard on it.

DH needs a clean house, his family crap mandates it. My family crap made us a messy house. I have a deadline, next June...I want to have a 30th wedding anniversary party, here. To do that, I have to get rid of several thousand things and/or find places to put them. And, as I said, I'm working on it.

I don't want to watch that show, I think. It sits a little too close to home. You don't get that bent without a lot of good reasons for it usually. I'd likely find it very sad, and be angry for the poor folk being exploited so someone could make money selling a TV program. Ick.

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ok, 12 bookcases are in the attic, full. (+12)

In the process of doing this, I boxed up the books I brought home yesterday and instead of the 1 box I counted it as, it's 4 so (-3).

Also in the process of doing this, I moved books into the shelves and out of boxes in the attic. Specifically, I emptied 6 boxes and I have one FULL trashcan. I forgot! I threw out 4 books too... (+11)

My net for the day, except for the allergy attack (I'm allergic to dust mites!) is 23-3 = +20.

Judi
    Last edited by Judi Dial; 09-14-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I returned a steamer I borrowed almost a year ago ... Sigh a pan and a container

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Flung two broken pet food dishes.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Judi, thanks for sharing your progress here - it is really inspiring! I saw Hoarders after the discussion here last night (A&E also has it on their website, for anyone who still hasn't seen it and wants to), and it really is sad. Its hard for me to imagine real people living in these conditions, and I hope that some people might actually be getting helped by the show (I try to be an optimist ). At any rate, I am impressed by your courage and your progress - so keep it coming!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

non-flinging day so far. Transported kids,got 96# dog food,went to dry cleaners for drop off,hung DS washed 2 loads,washed drapes twice. Watched Buffy the Vampire DVD-trying to pare down dvd/videos even further.

Judy,I really didn't find any exploitation going on in the show. She monitored their comfort level,kept explaining they were in charge,that they could stop at any time. They wanted to do it but needed the backup. Not all of them completed. The show can come close to home but I found it helpful. None of my earlier comments were personalized to you,I swear. If you got that impression I'm sorry. We all have our battles. Both my DM and My DH were abused. I guess I was bullied emotionally too. Everyone has issues. WE all have cobwebs to clear.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Couldn't leave it at that. Filled 2 garbage bags w/ old clothes from the bsmt kids stuck down there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior View Post
    Judy,I really didn't find any exploitation going on in the show. She monitored their comfort level,kept explaining they were in charge,that they could stop at any time. They wanted to do it but needed the backup. Not all of them completed. The show can come close to home but I found it helpful. None of my earlier comments were personalized to you,I swear. If you got that impression I'm sorry. We all have our battles. Both my DM and My DH were abused. I guess I was bullied emotionally too. Everyone has issues. WE all have cobwebs to clear.
    Not to worry, I not THAT sensitive! And I'm glad that it isn't just people being exploited! I think I'm twitchy coz of the person who wanted to put ME on public TV about that. But again, I took NONE of your comments as directed at me, I really am NOT that sensitive.

I AM sensitive about the fake friendship I was offered, when it was just a ploy to get her and her camera crew etc. (like 12 people?) in my house.

But no one at frugal has ever been judgmental or nasty to me about it, so I don't take it personally. If I did, I wouldn't participate here and I SURE wouldn't talk about it!!!

FW, we're fine. I'm fine. And I apologize for being so judgemental, as you can tell, I have reasons, but still, I should have asked and gotten the answer BEFORE I passed judgement.

Ah well, I'm human today. I was yesterday too, funny how that works!

Thank you for caring my friend --

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default In all of this, I forgot!

I took bags & boxes back to the farmstand when I went to work this afternoon. One more added to my total.

Judi