Frugal Village Forums banner

Fling 2009 Things in 2009 Challenge!!

71K views 2K replies 50 participants last post by  Judi Dial 
#1 ·
I enjoyed the fall fling in 2008, but now that I've flung 1,000 items, I want to see if I can de-clutter even further.

I am starting two months' late, but I am going to try to fling 2009 things this year. Just to add a twist, though, if I bring anything (other than groceries or necessary items [i.e, new hammer or something]) INTO the house, I am going to subtract it from my total flung. :) So skeins of yarn, strings of beads, new clothes, all that stuff, if it is semi-permanent, it gets counted against things flung.

As of tonight, I am at zero, and I hope to get things started moving OUT of the house tomorrow! :)

#2 · (Edited)
I'm definitely in on this one. We've been flinging already. We took 6 boxes to goodwill yesterday. I won't add that in. I'll start with a fresh count too.

With a possible move next year and 2 boys moving out this year, I think we can definitely hit 2009.

I'll do it the same way as you are madhen. If I bring anything in, I'll subtract from the total.

#3 ·
I may end up with a negative balance!!

I have also decided to count full big black lawn/leaf bags as 10 items. I counted them as 50 in the fall fling, but they are typically just trash, which doesn't really count. I will make an effort to dump at least 10 flingable things per bag. :)

#4 ·
I like this idea better than the other declutter so many per day. In your idea madhen adding to the total is a very good idea! Otherwise things aren't going out if you are bringing in lots per week! I will add this to my siggy. Fling, fling, here I come! :D

Reactions: madhen
#5 · (Edited)
I won't be counting things that would normally go in the garbage. It would normally go in the garbage anyways.

I starting counting things already. Dh seen me and asked what I was doing. I told him and he just laughed. After I told him that ds#1 had 12 pens in his room that were empty (why I don't know), he just laughed.

Madhen, I forgot to say I may go in the negative too. I have 2 large boxes of material coming in the mail this week. Oh my!!

#9 ·
I was at 144 things and then dd wanted 26 of the fling items so I had to take that off. Now I'm at 116. I know this seems high however I was in the boy's bedroom. It doesn't take long to add up there. :loop: I'm thinking I need to hide what I fling so no one sees it. At this rate, it will go from one bedroom to another.

I'm on a mission though to get rid of stuff. Our last big move we waited until a week before moving to get rid of things. That isn't going to happen this time. It's going to be a huge move too, so we don't want to be hauling stuff we don't have to. (Next is dresser drawers, probably not today though.)

#12 ·
i'm still in school so if we start counting individual papers i just might beat everyone to that 2009

#14 ·
I probably won't count sheets of paper. If I can Freecycle a REAM of paper, that would be one item.

If you are talking lots of paper, maybe give yourself a quota, like my "each bag = 10 items" rule. Maybe 50 sheets equal one item, or one grocery bag full of paper equals "x" items - whatever works for you and you think is far, based on how much effort it takes for you to fling it. :)

#15 ·
This sounds like something I would like to join too. I have been decluttering things to school.....so that others could use them for crafts and such....but I would love to see if I could reach this goal. I would have had a large number if I had counted the decluttering of my kitchen. It was embarassing!

#22 ·
Absolutely!! I have to fling approximately 200 items a month to meet an average per month to make my goal, so I need to get moving! It was actually good for me, because it made me think about it a bit before I bought the new yarn, and the "price" was two-fold. Not only did I have to pay for it, I had to sacrifice something to keep it. (It was SO worth it, though. Beautiful yarn.)

#23 ·
Wow, madhen I never thought of it that way! 200 items per month. I better get moving!

#26 ·
Two hundred items a month....we're in big trouble when we bring things in. :loop:

Glad you're back in the black madhen.

I think what I'll do with paper is count a full bag as 20 items. It'll be brimming and I know there'll be a whole lot more than 20 papers in the bag. I could probably count 2009 papers in the boy's room. Ds#1 is a packrat when it comes to papers.

#27 ·
I may lurk with this challenge. At this time, there are 306 say left in the year and that would be 6.5xxx items per day. Totally doable from that perspective. I want to count the three bags of recycles that I dropped off today. I will count my recycle bins as one items as I have to take them somewhere to drop them off ~ a little effort is needed on my part there. I just brought three boxes home so I can organize my office at home (January & February resolution gone bad). Hopefully, I can make March my month!

#28 ·
Hmmm... I may be able to do this. Now to get off my butt and DO it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.