Use It Up/Waste Not Challenge for December - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    Using up a bottle of Crest ProHealth mouthwash by using it as toilet bowl cleaner (allergic to it).
    This is a great idea. I never thought of using it in this way.
    Thanks
    I have a big bottle of Listerine (regular) (no one likes the taste)that has been here for awhile and couldn't bear to throw it out. Now I have a use for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! You folks have some fantastic ideas. There are so many I can hardly keep track. I was writing some of them down but I may have to print some of these out since there are so many. I can't read my own writing so good anyway. I've never heard of the mouthwash toilet bowl cleaner, but I bet it works great. As far as the pill bottles go, my late FIL used them to store the occasional screws or nails that he only had 1 or 2 of and labelled them. He then put all the little bottles in a small plastic box on his worktable. Another thing a friend of mine who was a fabulous seamstress used to do was use them to store buttons that she only had a few of. Then put them in the bottom of her sewing box. She said it was easier than digging for them among the thousands of buttons she had. Today I finished up a partial roll of wrapping paper and started another partial roll. I want to be sure to use up all the partials. I also gave my daughter 4 of the boxes I had been holding onto to hold Christmas presents. Keep those ideas coming!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ugh! Just when I thought I was beginning to use up my girly bath items (shower gel, bath wash, bubbles, sprays, lotions, etc) I got another basket of the stuff for Christmas. Don't get me wrong, I love and appreciate presents, but the new stuff will not even fit in the cabinet. Looks like I will have to take lots of relaxing baths in the near future!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh, and I thought of another way to use up Christmas supplies. I was given some basic white bags. They were too plain. I used card fronts from last years cards I received and glued them onto the plain bags. Each bag has a winter/holiday picture in the middle now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by qsaver704 View Post
    ugh! Just when I thought I was beginning to use up my girly bath items (shower gel, bath wash, bubbles, sprays, lotions, etc) I got another basket of the stuff for Christmas. Don't get me wrong, I love and appreciate presents, but the new stuff will not even fit in the cabinet. Looks like I will have to take lots of relaxing baths in the near future!
    too funny.... did you ever think the day would come when you just want to shout "please STOP GIVING ME THINGS..." !!!!.....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by qsaver704 View Post
    Oh, and I thought of another way to use up Christmas supplies. I was given some basic white bags. They were too plain. I used card fronts from last years cards I received and glued them onto the plain bags. Each bag has a winter/holiday picture in the middle now.
    LOve this idea.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

for a snack today when i got home and was 'famished' but way too lazy to actually 'cook' something....(ok-- take something from the fridge to the micro...yup...THAT lazy) anyway.... i looked in the snack cabinet and instead of eating up all the good stuff...i ate the stale saltines w/p.butter on them....yum-yum...

use up/waste not........

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did not "officially" join this thread at the beginning of the month, but I have been trying to use up a lot of things that are open in the fridge and pantry. I have been doing a great job.

But today had been phenomenal. I can not believe the number of plastic/glass bottles/jars and boxes I have added to the recycling! I even used up two packages of chicken from the freezer.

This morning I got out several of the free tubes of toothpaste and containers of dental floss (from the dentist) and put them in our bathroom drawer to use. A flight attendant friend always brings me handwipes and hotel soap, shampoo, cream rinse, etc. I will NEVER have to buy that stuff again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

since last week ive used up:
    • a jar of coconut oil as lotion
    • approx 4 lotion samples and one on its way out
    • a bunch of chicken breast (we are so SICK of chicken breast)
    • the leftover peppers and onions food processed into a sauce
    • the last of one type of laundry detergent cause we had already started on a new box and left this one little loads worth
    • half bottle of hand soap
    • 3 bananas that usually go to waste instead i baked them with honey! yumyum

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You guys must have Phd's in using up/wearing out! Ya'll are really going gang-busters. The creativity is fantastic. I feel so proud to be a part of this frugal group. The ideas are so good! The problem around here is that between Christmas and my dd's birthday, we are accumulating leftovers faster that I can use them. But, I am working on them. Saturday night dh had leftover meatloaf and leftover mashed potatoes and I had leftover chili. Monday night dh had leftover steak and garlic bread and I had leftover pizza and garlic bread. I used up two pkgs of different kinds of rolls (that seriously needed using) to make the garlic bread. Tonight, if all goes according to plan, dh is having leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes and I will be having leftover chili again. Hopefully, that will finish that. As far as Christmas, I am still working on the same partial roll of wrapping paper. HBA wise, I am almost finished with a bottle of lotion and have another one to use up after it. And, I think I am forgetting one or two things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DD and DH have an eating challenge to eat the HM carrot cake that we just received last night as a gift. Since I am bound and determined to beat my recently diagnosed diabetes - I am not touching it!! So DH had some for breakfast!!, Now DD is having one too - how funny.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i am now down to eating the remainder of the 90% off halloween candy...you know...the stuff that you wait til the very end to eat....when you are desperate and having a sugar-attack....the candy that if someone offered to you on a normal day you would simply say "no thanks...i would rather eat broccoli.." but hey...wait a minute...i LOVE broccoli... slimey brussel sprouts then....

hurry x-mas...get over with...i need new clearanced candy....

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You are bad SVS!! In a funny kind of way of course!! Looking forward to hearing of the great deals you get on clearanced Christmas candy!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have something to share from today. Around Thanksgiving, I bought a package of chicken gizzards (to use in the dressing) because I knew I wasn't going to get the turkey giblets from #4 son's turkey. They were going to be used by someone else for the giblet gravy. But as it turned out, son #2 was not using the giblets from his turkey, so gave them to me, so I had the large package of chicken gizzards left in the freezer.

Tonight I am making giblets and rice for dinner. I am trying to catch the thawing gizzards when they are thawed enough to break the bunch in half, but still frozen enough to repackage the other half and return them to the freezer for giblets and rice again in a week or so.

Around Halloween, someone gave my #2 son and his family a lot of pumpkins. He gave me about 8 of them. I cooked the 5 big ones and mashed it and froze it. (You can see the process in my blog, if you scroll back to Oct. or Nov.) They made a LOT of mashed pumpkin. I've made use of it for a pumpkin dessert recipe several times since then, at parish dinners as well as for us, for family get-togethers. The last of it will be used on Christmas Eve for the last pumpkin dessert of 2009. I still have 3 small pumpkins that I need to cook, puree and freeze, so I hope to get that done very soon. Most of the seeds from the other pumpkins were toasted for snacking, with a few being informally planted to hopefully make new pumpkins. The stringy inside stuff was given to the chickens and used to enrich the soil.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    i am now down to eating the remainder of the 90% off halloween candy...you know...the stuff that you wait til the very end to eat....when you are desperate and having a sugar-attack....the candy that if someone offered to you on a normal day you would simply say "no thanks...i would rather eat broccoli.." but hey...wait a mi/nute...i LOVE broccoli... slimey brussel sprouts then....

hurry x-mas...get over with...i need new clearanced candy....
    Oh, I know the candy. I have some here now. My problem is I really don't like it. I think some of this is from Easter. I had some candy canes gifted to me last year for Christmas. I am not a huge fan, so I laid them aside. Well, they are still here. It may be time to waste/trash the candy that is more than 4 months old and not frozen.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast