Use It Up/Waste Not Challenge for December - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by qsaver704 View Post
    Oh, I know the candy. I have some here now. My problem is I really don't like it. I think some of this is from Easter. I had some candy canes gifted to me last year for Christmas. I am not a huge fan, so I laid them aside. Well, they are still here. It may be time to waste/trash the candy that is more than 4 months old and not frozen.
    4 mos old? its now in its prime...lol.....send it here...i will eat it...haha...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Added water to my shampoo and conditioner this week and stretched out 3 more uses before tossing the bottles.
    Reused styrofoam meat trays to freeze venison steaks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

used up two rolls of tape with wrapping presents and hanging Christmas cards. Running out of tissue paper for noses. I decided to not replace them since they are already in every other room in the house. Also started on another free conditioner today.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Used up 4 partial boxes of different pastas to make macaroni salad for Christmas Eve. Mixed them all together and they look great. Hey, San Georgio makes a pasta trio, I made a quartet.

Dug out all my motel shampoos and conditioners, and free samples. 19 in all. That's enough for dh and myself for almost 2 weeks.

Used up another partial box of Christmas cards for gift card giving.

used up turkey and gravy and stuffing by turning it into a casserole by adding 1/2 bag of noodles to it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

1. Used a pk. of Listerine pocket packs (which I'm allergic to) to make a homemade toilet-bowl gel pack. Yes, I'm allergic to so many products with all of their toxic and/or harsh chemical substances, so I took the little pocket-packs, wet them, and they stuck together just fine; then I placed the pack on the inside of my toilet bowl, where it is acting like a Scrubbing Bubbles toilet-bowl gel pack.
    2. Tried out some new toothpastes, which I won't be able to use as toothpastes (see above reason); anyhoo, they'll make really good scrubbing paste for my bathroom sink. Must contact the companies that made them.
    3. Finished off an old tube of lipgloss.
    4. Have some old deodorant which I feel never did live up to its name; will rub some of it on an old deodorizer blotter (the kind shaped like a spruce tree that you hang on a knob in your car), and hang it in the basement to keep it smelling fresh. They might also work in candle warmers as air fresheners.
    5. Saving some soap scraps to make bodywash. Will break into little pieces, add water, soak till soft, then heat up in a pot till melted and mixed, then add more water to dilute, cool, pour into nice bodywash bottle.
    6. Also found out I'm allergic to Christies crackers (entire mouth went numb, killed tastebuds for about 4 days), so that went out in the garbage today. Was cutting up my cooked Christmas turkey for freezing, so had saved the turkey fat and melted it, thought it might mix well with some seeds and these cracker crumbs, but images of little winter birds in my backyard with allergic reactions caused me to change my mind.
    7. Tossed out the aged condiments in my fridge: relishes with a 5 o'clock shadow, pickles which had a shape until I shook the jar.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    i think i have 100's of little bottles of shampoos, cond, lotions...i've just stock-piled them for...for what...?
    I have a suggestion...if your community hosts new refugees or has a big food stamp population, at least here in NH, food stamps (or SNAP) do not cover HBA. So people arriving in NH to start their new life have no soap, toothpaste, etc. A few years ago I worked with a local refugee group and I can tell you donations of that type were MOST welcome!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I may divide this into 2 days of posting because I can't remember everything. I need to post more often while thoughts are fresh. Christmas Eve: youngest dd used up the rest of a partial roll of wrapping paper and then used up an entire roll as well as tape and bows on hand. Dh used up the remainder of a roll of wrapping paper as well. I used up most of a partial roll of wrapping paper as well as bows, tape and tissue paper we had on hand. I am still working on the open box of Christmas cards I've been using all season and I still have 3 or 4 left. Gave oldest dd a box of Christmas cards to finish with her list and to keep at her house for future use. I gave sil a can of tomato paste from the pantry (now, I need to get more) and two packages of potato rolls from the freezer for Christmas Eve dinner he was cooking. He was thrilled he didn't have to go to the grocery store on Christmas Eve. On Christmas Day I used up a coffee cake that had been in the freezer since about September. I also finished up the remainder of a jar of creamy peanut butter, most of a jar of crunchy peanut butter and some cool whip I bought on deep discount over the summer for peanut butter pie. I think I will continue tomorrow as I am now drawing a complete blank after that. I will say I have to really be careful with open bottles, boxes and jars as they can go bad really fast here in the hot south and I tend to forget about them. Have to pay more attention.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Used up one roll of wrapping paper.
    Used stockpile for Christmas dinner
    Used same for leftovers to eat today
    Hubby made coffee this morning from individual pkgs that someone had given us and it was really strong. When almost gone I poured another half pot of water in to make another pot of coffee.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i have started my 2010 (ok--i'm early)....

use up all the food in the house (cabinets/pantry/fridge/freezers).... till its all gone...(did this last year...down to the bottle of ketchup in the fridge)...

started in the end of january and it took 2 1/2 months....

so here we go again...(actually started about 2 weeks ago coz i have bought nothing new).....

i will be buying milk/bread/fresh fruits/veggies and i found that last year i had to pick up a couple of things to round out the meals...(who can eat 5lbs of lunchmeat if you have no bread)...kinda stuff....

but for the most part...no new food...til its all gone... then dh & I will sit down and make a list of the foods we really care to eat and that is what will make it back into the door...

it worked well last year except we didn't make the new list and i think that is a must....why continue to eat things you really don't like all that much....i guess our tastes are changing and evolving or something....

so here goes some interesting combos.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    i have started my 2010 (ok--i'm early)....

use up all the food in the house (cabinets/pantry/fridge/freezers).... till its all gone...(did this last year...down to the bottle of ketchup in the fridge)...

started in the end of january and it took 2 1/2 months....

so here we go again...(actually started about 2 weeks ago coz i have bought nothing new).....

i will be buying milk/bread/fresh fruits/veggies and i found that last year i had to pick up a couple of things to round out the meals...(who can eat 5lbs of lunchmeat if you have no bread)...kinda stuff....

but for the most part...no new food...til its all gone... then dh & I will sit down and make a list of the foods we really care to eat and that is what will make it back into the door...

it worked well last year except we didn't make the new list and i think that is a must....why continue to eat things you really don't like all that much....i guess our tastes are changing and evolving or something....

so here goes some interesting combos.....
    I agree with all this! I am ready to start early on 2010. I made up Jan. menu already-using food I have here almost totally!

I also understand about having food neither on of you like. We have about 5 bags of fish sticks. That was just something I grew up eating. I don't really like it. DH doesn't eat it at all. We have 5 bags about to go bad.

I am pretty sure I can go for 2-3 months without buying major items if I stay committed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

oh, and how could I forget, the reason I came here to start with.

I shreaded a pork loin today for BBQ sandwiches. I used 10 packs of fast food BBQ sauce. They were those packs you get with chicken nuggets. They were taking up so much room, but are gone now!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Used left over ham for ham, potato and cabbage soup.
    Used left over mac. and potato salads for lunch.
    Cleaned out a drawer and cut up some old shirts for quilt patches.
    Used up 2 partial skeins of yarn to make myself 2 dish cloths.
    Using up many scraps of scrapbook paper with the Cricut cutter dh got me for Christmas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To continue from last night. . . . I used up a ton of gifts I bought on deep discount that had been sitting in my office over the past year and did not buy very many new gifts except for immediate family. We only have one more present to give from under the tree. Truthfully, yesterday and today we did not use up very much. Oh well, I am happy to have used up the Christmas stuff we did and I am doing everything I can to not buy anymore because I still have plenty for next year at least. You folks are doing a marvelous job of using up. I really like the idea of only buying things you really like for the pantry, fridge and freezer. I think our tastes are changing also. So, do most of you want to do a January 2010 use it up challenge?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in for a Jan. use it up.
    I enjoy the challenge of trying on a daily basis to use up or reuse all I can. It's fun to get ideas from everyone else.
    I dug out an old sweater tonight that I haven't worn in years because of all the pilling on it. I got out a disposable razor and gave it a good shave and ran the lint brush over it many times. It looks brand new. I'll be wearing it to work next week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile Using it up, recycling and tossing

Finally had time to do some Christmas baking yesterday.
    Used up the remainder of:
    A jar of marachino cherries for Shortbread Cookies
    A can of cocoa, pks. of icing sugar & walnuts for Fudge Brownies
    A pk. of raisins, Craisins, carton of eggs for Fruit Cake
    Still have 1 tsp. of baking powder to use up in one can

Used up a roll of plastic wrap today to wrap the brownies for freezing; saved the inside cardboard roll to wrap homecrafted doilies around it for gift-giving.

Tossed out the rest of the jar of beet pickles.

Used up a Washer Detergent gelpack for a load of laundry, nice fragrance.

Boiled eggs to use up one carton of eggs: made egg salad sandwiches--finished up a plastic spice-jar of Basil.

Used up bits of margarine and wrappers for greasing the baking pans.

Used a large, empty plastic potato bag as a garbage bag to hold recyclables.

Finished the Motts garden cocktail in the fridge.

Tossed out an old jar of off-tasting jam; all my fridge condiments are now sorted out for consumption (lots of space now).

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast