Use It Up/Waste Not Challenge for December
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Use It Up/Waste Not Challenge for December

I was wondering about a use it up and/or not waste it challenge for December. It does not have to be just food. I was thinking of a general challenge that would include samples, hba, craft supplies, school supplies, books, clothes, food, etc. One example I need to start is to not waste my excercise bike I paid good money for several years ago and start riding it again - even if only for 5 minutes a few days a week. Of course I also have hba, school supplies I need to find and use before buying any of those things again. Books and clothes need to be read and used as well. The clothes fit I just don't think about varying my wardrobe much. Craft supplies are not an issue for me because I am virtually talentless in that area, but I know there are many on this forum that are very talented. I hope I did this right and I hope you will join me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i need to use up the odds and ends in my craft drawer, hope to use some in gift wrapping and my bil gave us a ton of sample size moisturizers i want those tiny bottles GONE. i have some bread cubes in the freezer i need to make a french toast casserole or something, also 2 pitas and now frozen canned whole tomatoes that i only needed half of for the recipe.

im in

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

YEAH Geckoace! I hear you about samples and such. Welcome aboard! Last night I used up the last lonely bagel in the refrigerator (and I'm not buying anymore) and the last of a package of sandwich meat also. We are notorious for wasting the last few pieces of sandwich meat so I was glad we used it up. I gave an unopened bag of cereal to a friend because I was afraid it would go bad before we could use it and there are 3 very hungry 20-somethings in her house. I started wearing base make-up again because I have some that is very good stuff, but probably 7 or 8 years old and I just can't throw it away. I have another bottle already I got for a very good price recently so I have back-up. I need to wear make-up anyway when we go someplace nice so as not to scare any small children or animals. I would love to hear what you do with the stuff in your craft drawer. Crafting to me is one of the mysteries of the universe, but I love to see what people can do. It is usually pretty amazing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today we used up two open packages of different crackers and 2 bananas that were going to have to be pitched in a day or 2 if not eaten. I also 'used up' some reward points towards a Christmas present. Those used to not get used for a long time until I figured out what we had and how to use them - glad we figured that out! We also finished up some cookies that dd made 2 weeks ago and the last of the low-fat vanilla ice cream for dessert - which, of course, I could have done without.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

On Tuesday, I used up the last little bit of conditioner in a bottle that was sitting in my daughter's bathroom for weeks. She informed me it was empty and just kept forgeting to throw it away. I added a drop of water to it and had enough for another rinse. I don't like wasting that stuff it can be expensive. So, one bottle completely emptied and recycled and not wasted.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i am on an incense/smelly candle/air freshener moratorium.

burt's bees merlot lip balm. must use all here before buying more...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

good challenge....last January when i joined i had a challenge with myself to use up all the food that was around here and not buy anymore until there was absolutely nothing left and i got really close...(i did have to occasionally buy 'something' but it was few & far between...)....i have been thinking it is time to do that again and have 'slacked' off the past week and 1/2 visiting the grocery stores....i think its time to go all out....(it took me 2 1/2 months to go thru it all...and i didn't 'stockpile'....it was just a 'pile' of food... made for some really interesting combinations towards the end..)..lol...

as for all the other stuff...hba's, craft supplies, cleaning supplies, etc.... i have been trying to use up everything all year long...i have made a huge dent in the bathroom cabinets but still have a ways to go...(its amazing just how much stuff you can acquire)....when all the misc cleaning supplies are gone its vinegar all the way around here....

i think i have 100's of little bottles of shampoos, cond, lotions...i've just stock-piled them for...for what...? i really have no idea when it comes down to it... i started in on them a while back too... shampoo is used to clean the toilet (works really well too) & as bubble bath in the tub (coz i am picky with 'my' shampoo and use only 1 type on my hair-mess)...cond's i use to shave with...and all the lotion bottles i carry in my purse...(i used to keep re-filling a single bottle for my purse but until these are gone i am using the bottles up and when they are empty recycling them out of here)...then back to my regular re-fillable bottle....i used to be a 'fan' of 'stock-piling' all the little 'travel' size stuff for when we vacation but it is just as easy to keep re-fillables around and use them...so now i am using up everything i have lying around except for the small toothpaste tubes....(i haven't yet quite figured out how to refill them).....

count me in...coz i can certainly 'step it up a bit'......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome ladykemma2 and Sabrelvssammy! Glad to see I am less and less alone in the need to use it up/not waste it. Ladykemma2 I know exactly what you mean about candles. I have been working on using up 3 large candles for months. I am just now down to 2 half-used. I had no idea Sabrelvssammy that shampoo could be used to clean toilets. Thanks for the info. I know what you mean about accumulating so much 'stuff'. I used to buy make-up all the time when I could get a really good deal on it. About 2 years ago I had a garage sale with my oldest daughter and discovered I had 82! variations on orange lipstick! Fortunately, a lady and her son came looking for make-up for her mom in the nursing home and her mom loved orange lipstick! They bought 35 at a dollar a piece and then came back later and bought 35 more! However, I decided I did not want to 'stockpile' that much of one item again and I need to pay better attention to what I have on hand. Thank goodness for that mother and son though!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm slowly getting rid of the samples. I've put them in a nice little holder in the bathroom and make myself use 1 every weekend. Most of them are bodylotion-type, and during the week I don't have enough time to rub that on and let it dry. It's slow work using them up, and occasionally I get new ones because I never say 'no' when someone offers them to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

so this one is a little different...i have to use up/waste not my time these days...i am back to sitting on this puter and before i know it i have blown away hours at a time....(darn your wonderful FV people)....lol.... not that this place is a waste of time at all....quite the contrary....but i am getting NOTHING done....!

so my challenge will be no more than 10 mins for every hr....(and no i can't 'stockpile' them from sleeping time either.... that's hrs that i am awake....(i already tried to get away with that one)...

so here is my first 10 mins....and i am off to use up some stuff around the house.... have a good morning everyone....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by geckoace View Post
    i need to use up the odds and ends in my craft drawer, hope to use some in gift wrapping and my bil gave us a ton of sample size moisturizers i want those tiny bottles GONE. i have some bread cubes in the freezer i need to make a french toast casserole or something, also 2 pitas and now frozen canned whole tomatoes that i only needed half of for the recipe.

im in
    i cleaned out my fridge (i do it every tues cause wed is trash day) and we have made progress as far as food waste but could really do better, but there was progress this week

i used up:
    the 2 pitas
    a sample body wash
    the last of some hair conditioner
    put a sample lotion by the sink
    one in my diaper bag
    2 samp sz bottles of lotion on the kids

plan to make sausage and peppers for dinner tonite will use those tomatoes

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

have not competely 'used up' anything today but continue to make progress ....food, hba's, cleaning supplies.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

going on vacation saturday so eating up everything in the veggie/fruit bin...finishing off the veggie soup in the fridge...dh is tackling the gallon of milk but i will buy a new one before we leave so that i have it in the fridge when we get home late wed night...

using up all the dishes so that i can run the dishwasher full on the morning we leave....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't you thank we get more creative with the scraps of "stuff" in our lives ? When we can think of thrifty ways to use and re-use stuff, it can be very exciting ! I want to try to be as creative as I can in my 2010 Use up game !

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This may be a little off topic for what you're discussing, but a large free fell on one of our dog houses which is made of a hard plastic of some sort. It left part of the roof and also the base with jagged breaks. I started repairing it today by clamping and gluing it with Gorilla glue. When that dried, I placed a piece of treated plywood over the break and installed several bolts for stability. It's kind of fun to fix something and keep it functioning.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast