Frugal Village Forums banner

Clean a Closet a Day Mini challenge

2K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  Shanna 
#1 ·
OK, so my house isn't too messy these days. That's because I stuff everything in my closets :eek: !!

My mini challenge for the week (and yours too if you care to join me) is to clean one closet per day. I am a teacher and so have the week off and no excuses for not being able to do this (note to self: laziness is not an excuse).

Part two of this challenge is to bring everything I toss to the Salvation Army or other worthy charity. It doesn't count if I just move it to the garage :box:. It's the last week for tax donations so maybe that will encourage me.

I will post here to keep me honest. Anyone want to keep me company? Even if you're not up to a closet how about a drawer . . . anything?

Reactions: mauimagic
#2 ·
Forgot to add that I really started this yesterday. I cleaned my bedroom walk-in closet. Guess what . . . I really do have a floor! :yippee: I keep walking past it just to see how great it looks.

Filled two garbage bags with clothes and blankets. Even found a couple of items for my friend to put up on ebay!

I think I will move on to DS#1's closet if he will allow me in his cave. I think there are still baby toys in there . . . and he's 16 :shame:

Wish me luck . . . I may never come out . . .

#3 ·
I am in, I must get my stuff together for my tax deductions! You are right we only have a couple days left. I have already finished a couple closets, so off to the drawers and cupboards!

#5 ·
I'm in - this fits perfectly with my need to go through all of my clothes!!

Today I will start with my hanging clothes closet!!

Mahalo for starting this!!

#7 ·
Totally cleaned out my hanging clothes closet - had a lot more stashed on the floor than I ever imagined!! It's all on our bed, so when I return from physical therapy, I will start the sort. Only things that fit and that I like will be put back!!

#8 ·
Wow you are quick Maui!
I am still deep in the bowels of DS#1's closet. I have to stop and treasure all the memories of when he was little :tedblue:.

Suzanne . . . maybe you could change it to a closet a week . . . :cheerup:

Let's keep going!

#9 ·
Well I am back to report success in DS#1's room. They are so clean there is hardly anything left in there! Of course, once I cleaned the closets we (DS and I) continued on and cleaned his room out completely. It looks amazing. Even he is really pleased. Now he wants a few new posters and he'll be ready for the new year!

I was so motivated I then started on the family room closet. I am getting a head start on tomorrow's job. This is largely the game and toy closet. Already moved out a bunch of old puzzles and mismatched game pieces etc.

I may have to make several runs to charities! Feels good!

#10 ·
It's not that I'm quick, firefly, it's that the closet is very small!! Am very pleased with the results of the hanging clothes. I still have one box on a shelf that I need to go through of 'winter clothes' - yes we have seasonal clothes in Hawaii too!!

Let's bump this up and see who else wants to join this great challenge!!

Reactions: firefly615
#11 ·
Well, ds's and dd's closets (go figure) are actually clean. It is the master closet that is a nightmare. I think I will add a couple hot spots onto the list too: top of fridge, top of both curios, and top of hutch. Those are my safe-zones from little fingers. You won't imagine the things that are up there!

#12 ·
I think that top of fridge, bottom of curio and other nooks and crannies should definitely count! Maybe we should start reporting the long-lost, unusual, or downright strange things we have found? Might be amusing?

Maui, I'm not sure 1 box of winter clothes is going to go over too well to those in the midst of the blizzards :snowing: But who am I to talk, California winter clothes aren't all that much warmer :smirk:

Took DS#2 to a movie and we walked the dog (people and animals before housework!), so am now about to dive back in. I think I will tackle a small closet today. DD won't let me in her room just yet. I may need to wait until college classes call her away again . . . then . . . lookout! :va:

#13 ·
Just telling it like it is!! I've actually forgotten what's in the box and didn't get it down today - will put it on the list for tomorrow morning!!

I'm having our DD clean her closet before she heads back to college - cannot wait to see what she finds there!!

#14 ·
Got a load hauled out and delivered, so far a bunch of coats, jackets, board games, hardback books, mugs amd glasses, a large tote of c-6 christmas lights. thats all the car would hold. Back in for more, this time will load the pick up.

Hows everyone else doing?

#15 ·
I am several days behind everyone, but I am in. I guess this will just make me not sleep in tomorrow but get up earlier. I have to catch up..lol.

I am scared to go through my son's closet. He has something in front of it just to keep it closed.

(thank goodness you are not cleaning your attic!)

#16 ·
Glad to see there are some more takers out there!!

Tomorrow is the last day to donate and get that write-off for the year . . . let's get going! (Read: I've fallen behind, but you are all thankfully kicking my butt which is why I started this in the first place :whistle:)

I have gotten a bit overwhelmed with this task but am back on it now! I will overcome :wink:

Now if I can just get off the darned computer!

#17 ·
I agree, it's hard to stay away from this wonderful place!!

I have gotten a lot of paperwork done today, but no work on my closet yet. First step - get the winter clothes box down!!

I'm off to do it now!!

#18 ·
Okay, I did the top of the fridge and dh did the top of the curio in our bedroom. I also moved all the kid's crafting doodlies out of the laundry room (shelf above washing machine/dryer) and down to it's new home in our playroom in the basement. Ha-ha play-doh and tempera paint . . . you can dance all you want on the old kitchen table and concrete floor!!!!!! Muahahahahaha!

#19 ·
You are on top of it ri*smom!!

Well, I did manage to get the box down and it is now on our bed!! Before I shower tonight, I will try everything on to see where the garment really belongs!!

#20 ·
Good job everybody! I tackled the dining room closet/cupboard/drawer. Boy was that a job. I actually found a baby sock in there. Jeezz! Tomorrow the kitchen and then to charity. Friday will be the day to put away all the Christmas decorations. Still need to get into dd's room ;-)

#21 ·
Went through the 'winter clothes' - they still fit, but will soon be on their way out because they will be too big!!

Plans changed for today and I need to spend several hours in town with DH, so my major cleaning plans will be squished into a shorter amount of time when we get home.

Reactions: QM
#24 ·
Okay - plans changed again - actually I changed them - decided I did not need to go to town today - needed more time at home on this end. Unfortunately I am not getting any closet cleaning out done yet - arm is too sore - so I am finishing up 2009 paperwork organization. Still productive though!!

Hope to get a few more things hung up before the day is through!!

firefly - you crack me up - wish I'd seen your message before I ate 1/2 cup Low carb ice cream!! I'll save the thought for tomorrow!!

#25 ·
Good job everyone! I guess I'm about done too. I have to clean up some of my cleaning out and finish one more cabinet in the kitchen, but that will have to wait.

Happy New Year to you all!

Reactions: pinetree
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.