Get It & Keep it CURRENT chore challenge
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Get It & Keep it CURRENT chore challenge

I have this problem in many areas: bill filing, cleaning my frig, my pantry inventory, my coupon binder and inventory, etc.

The Fling 2009 things challenge has helped me and DH be more aware of what we have and need to get rid of. At the end of this year, he wanted me to count things HE flung too.

My idea with this one is that I update these lists or do some of my weekly chores that seem to get routinely dropped or deferred.

Here's my list of weekly chores that keep getting behind:

receipt filing
    bill filing
    purging my frig
    keeping the pantry list up to date
    clipping coupons
    culling out of date coupons
    updating coupon list

The last three all go together. I'll assign one day a week to each of the 5 categories:

Monday - Receipts
    Tuesday - Bills
    Wednesday - Frig
    Thursday - Pantry
    Friday - Coupons

Anyone else got chores they always put off? Join me!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My continuing issue is laundry. I'm a ridiculously organized person, and yet, laundry always gets away from me. I know the reason is because I hate doing laundry, but that's no reason not to stay on top of it...particularly in a familiy of 5!

I've been thinking about making myself a laundry chart and sticking it on the fridge next to the kids chore charts. I won't give myself stickers ( ) but it might help me keep track.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Amy I think u SHOULD hive yourself stickers

Judi something that has really helped me is a 12 pocket organizer right by the mail sorter. I have one for med bills and one for general bills and tax receipts. I just stash stuff in the appropriate pocket and poof done!
    I only have a few bills I file by name the rest are easy to refer to this way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AmyBoz View Post
    My continuing issue is laundry. I'm a ridiculously organized person, and yet, laundry always gets away from me. I know the reason is because I hate doing laundry, but that's no reason not to stay on top of it...particularly in a familiy of 5!

I've been thinking about making myself a laundry chart and sticking it on the fridge next to the kids chore charts. I won't give myself stickers ( ) but it might help me keep track.
    I agree that you deserve stickers! Whether it helps you keep track or just helps motivate you doesn't matter.

My problem with laundry is DH, who only piles stuff around the bed when it gets washed. After a while the stuff gets dirty again and has to be washed, again. The kitchen laundry that I wash and then immediately put away in the kitchen doesn't usually get behind or sit around. That's 1-2 loads a week of napkins, rags, and kitchen towels.

I could add a Saturday task of putting laundry away perhaps? I was really liking the idea that I didn't have any of these on the weekends. Hmmm.

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Judi ~ Once I get the new month's bill showing that the payment has been made and I can reference it to my online statement, I shred the old one. I used to keep all of the statements in a 13 pocket organizer (one for each month and the last for tax stuff) and I liked doing that. But then I realized I have years and years worth of old statements from accounts that don't exist anymore. Honestly, I am hoping the last bill I get statements for will soon out of existence as well.

The old way really helped with getting things filed quickly, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Missyall we still use the 13 pocket but find it less and less full as mist of our stuff is online. To keep it from building up when I start Jan 10 I will take out all if jan09 and shred it, that way I only have one going. I long for the day when we won't need one at all.
    Over the years we've gone from a stuffed 2 drawer cabinet and firesafe to a carryable file box +2-13 pockets and a firesafe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great idea JD!! My areas include (but are not limited to):

All paperwork (vast category, I know, but true)
    Piles of stuff in the LR

Am going to think about this for a while. I'm making progress in the paperwork area - but still needs refining.

The LR needs to be dcluttered daily, so it won't grown out of control.

Shall be back with more ideas - mahalo for starting this JD!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I could absolutely sign up for this -- my whole life can get away from me. But I've taken on other challenges, and don't want to commit to too much - they'll all fall through. But I'll think about it. I might put on one or two items.

I am a firm believer in stickers, AmyBoz. If nothing else, the first time the kids gleefully shoured "Mom didn't get a sticker!" would probably be embarrassing enough to keep you on track!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Amy, better yet, why don't you let the KIDS give you your stickers! This way, you are accountable not only to yourself, but to them also

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Thank you, Judi for starting this challenge!

My issue is filing. I have a wire basket on the computer
    desk and the pile seems to get 4 or 5 inches high before
    I finally get it all sorted and filed.

I brought my file cabinet in by my computer desk last
    month thinking I would file things IMMEDIATELY as the
    cabinet was right here next to me! Well, that was a
    nice thought while it lasted....lol

So, my challenge is going to be to file each thing that
    comes across my desk as soon as I open it, or, if it is
    a bill, as soon as it is paid. (I pay online).

As I spent all day cleaning out the 2009 things from
    the cabinet in preparation for 2010, NOW is the perfect
    time to start!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, I have spent a lot of time trying to find images we could use for stickers, and not had a lot of luck. Most of the images I found that would work are (c), so decided DH and I are going to do homegrown. This is only doable because he used to be a pro photographer, and so I have a reasonable expectation that we can actually get something decent. In the meantime, I may look through my stash o' stuff (there's a lot of it!) and see what kind of stickers I alreaedy have, and use some of those!

That will help with the "fling things" challenge I've already signed up for this year too.

Happy New Year...shall we get started?

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay. I worked on cleaning out the frig Wednesday. I straightend up part of the pantry and I've worked on coupons. DONE this week. (YEAH!)

Of course, these areas are NOT where I want them to be ultimately, but that's the idea of this challenge...by making me think about them I remind myself that I want to work on them more than a little bit every once in a long while.

What did everyone else do today/this week?

Happy new year!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The areas I have difficulty with are handling mail/filing paperwork, laundry, and cleaning the refrigerator.

To combat this, will devote 15 minutes/day handling the mail and paperwork and will clean the refrigerator weekly on Sundays. Laundry seems to be an almost daily project for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My difficult areas are being organized in general. I used to do "flylady" routines and that helped to keep me on track. I had certain chores to do on certain days. When my kids go back to school I am getting back on track. I need to start w/decluttering again......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to do this in so many areas I don't know where to begin. I guess the most obvious is couponing (which I just caught up yesterday until today) and refunding (which I am still behind on) and laundry (way behind). I think I will designate 20 minutes a day 5 days a week to refunding and couponing. Laundry will be do something with the laundry (other than look at it and wince) every day.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast