Use It Up/Waste Not Challenge for January 2010!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Incognito - mahalo for the directions and information. Shall play around with the s arn strand rug as soon as I can get to my yarns - ie. dig them out of my craft/sewing room!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Used up 2 containers in fridge today.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had already decided to do this with a lot of the stuff around my apartment. I'm using up the food I already have and eating from the freezer; using fabric scraps to make items to sell on Etsy, same with yarn; all the samples of health and beauty products and makeup; I could go on forever with this one. I have realized I have way too much stuff.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is my motto for the New Year. Use it up, Wear it Out, Make it do, or Do Without!

That's really important to me this year. Things are so tight around here that we would be doing this anyway.

The biggest things I'm focusing on are leftovers and my craft supplies. We are the worst about eating left overs so I either need to make sure its something dd or I will eat for lunch the next day or try to cook less.

I'm also going to work on tailoring projects to fit my yarn and fabric stash. Instead of finding a pattern I want to make and then getting yarn or fabric to match I'm going to pick a fabric or yarn I want to use up and then pick a pattern that will work with it.

I'm lucky to have a large stash thanks to gifts the last couple of years so I have plenty to choose from. Just yesterday I was thinking I need to get some light purple yarn to make my neices birthday gift but then I thought of my new motto. I found enough yarn in my stash to make do with and even though its not the exact color I had in mind, it will work well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great ideas on using up crafting supplies.
    Today I finished a jar of jelly in the fridge on my toast.
    Used up bacon grease that I've been saving and small bag of mixed bird seed to make suet for birdfeeder.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

made bisquits and gravy for dh this morning and used up the bisquits that i had bought for thanksgiving weekend that never got used...after this i will start making my own bisquits....

and of course all the other ingredients i used were from the freezer/pantry.....still working on using up all the food in the house til it is all gone....i ate a package of kashi oatmeal that had been around here for at least a yr or more.....

continuing to use up all the hba's around here...i don't think i will have to buy much in that department for 2010 either....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Maui, further to the toothbrushes with the hole in them, I just checked my own kitchen utensil drawer, and on my long turning forks, each has a 4-6 plastic handle with a hole in it. These handles are just a bit larger than toothbrush-handle size, but still this might work for you. If you don't have any, check the thrift shops; there's usually some small bundles of long kitchen utensils there, and there should be some suitable handles on them. Just remove the handle from the utensil with rubber gloves and pliers, and you're good to go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been trying to be less wasteful for quite awhile, but I need to keep getting tougher about it. Yesterday we ate leftover meatloaf from the freezer. I tried to finish up a shampoo sample but its got atleast one more use in it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's surprising really how much those samples contain. Usually I get about 2-3 uses out of these samples, and if I cut the package open, there's another use or two.
    For shampoo or conditioner, I like to cut the package open after I've used it up, then soak the package in a half-cup of water, then pour the liquid into a dispenser for couple more uses.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mahalo for the lessons in expanding my possibilities - re: the toothbrush and using other handles!! Need to add "what else could I use?" to my thinking processes!! Like what MandaRenee is doing!!

I'm noticing that DH is putting out little leftovers everynight with dinner. Makes mealtime much more interesting, frugal and fun!!

Last night when I as finishing up crocheting with a cone of cotton yarn, I came to the almost end. Normally what I would do is just store the cone with yarn - forever. Last night I played around with a different shape dishcloth til it was used up. Now I have no LO yarn, another dishcloth plus a cone to use for Christmas crafts in my preschool. For some reason, this really tickles my fancy!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    Last night when I as finishing up crocheting with a cone of cotton yarn, I came to the almost end. Normally what I would do is just store the cone with yarn - forever. Last night I played around with a different shape dishcloth til it was used up. Now I have no LO yarn, another dishcloth plus a cone to use for Christmas crafts in my preschool. For some reason, this really tickles my fancy!!
    That tickles me, too, Mauimagic!

I used up the dressing from a few meals ago in a meatloaf that I just mixed up. I read a tip on this site, from someone, about using leftover dressing in meatloaf. I can't wait to see how it turns out! I love meatloaf, and leftover, cold meatloaf in sandwiches too, so I am so happy to have a meatloaf ready to go into the oven later today.

I took a photo of the unbaked meatloaf a little while ago, and will take a photo of the finished product to post on my blog this evening, if anyone wants to see.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default i found two packs of dried peas in the cupboard..

so we are having ham roast this evening for supper.. meat in the freezer that we have had for a few months...I will take leftovers from the ham and put it in the pea soup for tomorrows dinner...and whoever doesn't care for pea soup will get a sandwich or noodles...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    I'm with Polly on the rug questions Incognito!! Please.

Speaking of rugs....... here I am on a quest for a toothbrush with a hole in the end. Please let me know if anyone has one or knows where I can get one!! Mahalo plenty!!
    Got a drill bit?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been using up pantry and freezer items since after Christmas.
    Today I'm baking a cake using some odd ingredients that I have on hand. A box of yellow cake mix, eggs that are getting a little old, oil, a packet of vanilla instant pudding, a packet of lemon kool aid(the recipe called for a lemon cake mix and lemon instant pudding, so I thought I'd try this instead) and some dehydrated lemon zest. Then a topping of a can of crushed pineapple from the pantry and some coconut I've had forever. Bought nothing new. The cake is baking now - it smells yummy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i've been using up packets of condiments from restaurants & fast food places...i have a giant tub in the bottom of fridge that is full of soy sauces, taco bell sauce, ketchups, mustards, etc....

put soy sauce on noodles for lunch yesterday...taco bell sauces on rice/bean combo for today's lunch....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast