Use It Up/Waste Not Challenge for January 2010!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

RaineyDaye - your cake sounds soooooo decadent - can't wait to hear how it tastes!!

Josephgoins - no drill bit - even if I did I don't think I should use a tool as dangerous as that might be in my hands - mahalo for the thought!

Suzanne I want to see your pictures!! I love cold meatloaf - think it's a mainland thing. DH always heats it up for LO - not the same!! But who am I to complain - he cooks!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RaineyDaye View Post
    I've been using up pantry and freezer items since after Christmas.
    Today I'm baking a cake using some odd ingredients that I have on hand. A box of yellow cake mix, eggs that are getting a little old, oil, a packet of vanilla instant pudding, a packet of lemon kool aid(the recipe called for a lemon cake mix and lemon instant pudding, so I thought I'd try this instead) and some dehydrated lemon zest. Then a topping of a can of crushed pineapple from the pantry and some coconut I've had forever. Bought nothing new. The cake is baking now - it smells yummy!
    Let us know how that turns out. I am not that brave!

We used up a jar of taco sauce today on the quesadillias. I also took out the 1/4 cup of cheese out of the freezer and finished that with our meal. I went through leftover candy and most of it went into treat bags for DS's birthday party.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH made me a screen for papermaking out of an old woodburner door. Using it today to make some cardmaking paper.
    Used up more leftovers yesterday for lunch and supper.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My challenge will be

to eat out of my freezer more. I generally prefer to cook fresh, so it takes a concerted effort to remember to thaw food ahead of time. I do not own a microwave, so that is not an option...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm using leftover shrimp and crab for seafood cakes.
    Too good to feed to the cats.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another way to do this is to heat up a slot-type screwdriver on the stove element, and then push it through the toothbrush handle to make the hole. Scrape and file off the messy edges.
    But the drill bit is the best idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Josephhgoins View Post
    Got a drill bit?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by qsaver704 View Post
    Let us know how that turns out. I am not that brave!
    The cake is really good, but still not lemony enough for me, or maybe the pineapple overpowers the lemon. (I love lemon)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

for b-fast...used up 3 potatoes that were on the verge of extinction....cut up and fried in olive oil with diced green peppers & onions...and a dash of pepper, garlic & chili powders...that's what dh got with 2 fried eggs & a piece of toast....(plus i now have a leftover)...

got a quart size baggie of fresh veggies yesterday from one of dh's friends..(brocc, yellow/red peppers, cherry toms, baby carrots)....stir-fried it up this morning and added a sliced onion, green peppers from the freezer (from the garden), a leftover carrot sliced, a can of baby corn and 4 packets of soy sauce (from a restauarant)....dash of pepper, garlic/chili powders.....(plus i got a brand new quart size baggie to wash out...weehee)....that's lunch with brn rice that i steamed yesterday...(froze a gallon baggie full of rice too)....

ate a lone english muffin from the freezer leftover from thanksgiving weekend for my b-fast...toasted it and spread w.p.butter & jelly....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OUr shower was spraying a piddly amount of water. DH wanted to buy a new one but we took it off, cleaned it out inside and now it's working well. Yeah, saved some $$. Also kids are drawing on the backs of old school papers instead of using new sheets.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love coming to the thread in the morning and see what everyone has been up to - makes me smile - and that a great way to start the day - Mahalo!!

We had our 'holiday' dinner out with DD and close friends last night. It was their idea to go dutch - which was great for me since we were going to pay!! I had a steak with two different salads, ended up taking 90% of the steak home as the salads were both huge and great!! So we now have the meat for lunch for the three of us!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today, I finished up the split pea soup, a few of the holiday treats, sent the LO candy in a ziploc to work with dh (outta sight ...)

Ate 2 pears close to spoiling (I don't like them too ripe)

Going to clear the top fridge shelf to place all the pershiables so they aren't so apt to spoil. Will do that tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cool That's the Plan!

Well, today I'll be finishing off the turkey bits and other LO's in the fridge.
    To work with:
    -turkey bits & broth (partly frozen)
    -half a plastic baggie of frozen/thawed boiled potatoes
    -a few turkey slices (the rest of the turkey was sliced, bagged and frozen on Boxing Day, so I'm using small bags of frozen turkey slices from time to time)
    -HM applesauce

Meal Prep:
    -Cut all turkey & cooked potatoes into pieces to make turkey stew.
    -Chop up an onion, scrape & boil some sliced carrots, peas; add some frozen celery.
    -Add to turkey stew; add seasonings.
    -Make dumplings on top of the stew (add basil/caraway seeds to dough).
    -Use applesauce as is, or make muffins or cake.

Fridge is nearly empty now, just half a jug of milk, poured-off cream from frozen milk, water, condiments, some bargain-bin apples left, a few carrots, 2 doz. eggs, cheese slices, margarine. All the things I need for creative cooking and baking are there, and my freezer & cupboards, pantry are almost full.
    (Feel no pressure to spend money; but might use up some of my January coupons, if the deals are great.)
    Hamburger is thawing: for another lasagna or maybe cornmeal dumplings on chili; it goes further that way.
    There's also room now in the fridge freezer-compartment for a few HM baked goods. Have no bread in the house now, so need to start a batch of refridgerator dough ASAP (probably my white flour/oatmeal recipe). I have room to freeze some buns now.

Made my January Budget yesterday, and I want to save $200 or more to put into the EF, etc. (Setting my face like a flint on this; I want more money in my bank account for various reasons, and I'm the one to put it there and keep it there.)
    After rent, I've budgeted for:
    Phone and internet--lowered the internet rate again with a new 1-yr. plan which kicks in this month @ $19.99 per month.
    Water
    Groceries: budgeted for $100, but will try for $75 or less if possible.

Have lots to do today, so I'd better get at it!

Later, F.V.'ers!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finishing up the very last bits of toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner and body wash before opening up new tubes/bottles It's tempting to start using a fresh new one sometimes, but I'm resisting lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Last night DD colored my hair and there was leftover coloring. Following advice, I sealed the bottle and will use for touchups!! Will let you know how this works!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay keep in mind that my mother and an aunt send leftovers from Christmas dinners home with me, which I love BTW, so...

About a week ago I made potato soup. I had a half a bag of red potatoes, with ham (from Christmas dinner), and misc. items from pantry and ate on that for awhile. I put the remaining soup that I did not eat into the freeze in individual size containers.

There was a lot of broth left from the potato soup after I divided it up and I didn't want to throw it out. So this morning I put broccoli and a few carrots (leftover from the Christmas meat&veggie tray) in the broth and let it go in the crockpot for awhile. I have to say I'm eating some now and it ain't half bad. I also had a grilled cheese sandwich with bread and cheese leftover from the Christmas dinners and meat trays as well.

I think I have done pretty well today. If I do say so myself, hehe.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast