Use It Up/Waste Not Challenge for January 2010!! - Page 4
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Used the last of the hash browns that were in the fridge. Made breakfast for supper. Added water to the coffee grounds this morning for a couple more cups.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Finished a bottle of dishwashing liquid; nice to have more room under the sink now.
    Used some allergic Colgate toothpaste to scrub the bathroom sink last night. Not only did it take off the soap scum, it also took off the water mineral deposits; this is a great use for it, other than as a toothpaste. Will try it out on my vinyl bathtub next.

Have 2 bags of recyclables to take to the curb (used 1 garbage bag and 1 empty potato bag to hold them); have been using up bits of this and that, and it's so nice to be utilizing my resources better, and having more room in my closets as a result.
    I realize now that I've got more than 1 of the same product open, and that's going to stop. So I'm using up all of my opened products, one by one, and I'm feeling fine and frugal about it!
    Have dealt with fridge foods & condiments, and that's under control.
    Dealing with bathroom products, and that's coming under control.
    Dealing with under-the-kitchen-sink products, and that's starting to come under control.
    Dealing with laundry detergent products, and that's now under control.

The out-of-control spending and out-of-control stuff are 2 things I want to conquer this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yesterday at dinner I used up the last 2 chicken breasts in a pkg, the last of some chicken broth, the last of the open salsa and another whole small pkg of salsa, the last onion and started the box of minute rice and a new pkg of cheese shreds to make Mexican Chicken and Rice. Afterwards, used up the last of the crunchy peanut butter, last of the cream cheese, the last of the cool whip and the last of a can of peanuts (for decoration) for peanut butter pie and put it in one of the chocolate pie crusts from my pantry.
    Today for breakfast I had 2 bites of oreo dessert (I know, I know). For dinner I made chili using up 3 pkgs of hamburger meat, 3 cans of diced tomatoes, 3 cans of tomato sauce, 1 can of tomato paste and 2 cans of chili beans (need to get more now). For garlic bread to go with it I used up a pkg of dinner rolls, finished a tub of butter and used up the last bit of garlic powder I have had for, probably, decades. Still tastes good though. Had to finish with garlic salt which I do not like as well but needs to be used up. Will only buy garlic powder in the future. I plan on eating on the open pkg of oyster crackers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used up the last bananas to make banana nut bread. That also used up the flour and pecans (I have more, but finished off these bags). I also used up all the strawberry jelly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Scooped the remaining conditioner out of the cap of the bottle this morning...

Gave ds a couple stray frozen pancakes from the freezer, so those are used up and I'm having some leftover chili for lunch. I put the rest of the chili into two lunch sized containers and into the freezer. At times I am guilty of letting the leftovers stay in the fridge too long and go to waste, so this is a little victory!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OMG I love this thread! One of my goals this year is to waste not! If I bought it I'm using it!

Today:
    -Made Navy Bean Soup with leftover salt pork (very tiny amount left from sausage yesterday)
    -Breakfast was biscuits and gravy, the biscuits from dinner 2 nights ago
    -Using all the novelty soap I've gotten over the years before I buy any more bars of soap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Fixed some more of the Christmas ham that was froze. Still have 2 more meals plus a bag of chopped ham for either soup, scalloped potatoes, omelets..something. Which is good. Farther it goes the better.
    Used a couple Walmart bags for trash instead of a bought garbage bag.
    Using a box of dryer sheets I found under something instead of my liquid. I use them twice before I throw them away.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished the can of baking powder.
    Dumped an ancient jar of bulk-foods-bin beef powder...it always made me sick whenever I used it...too many preservatives.
    Took UPC's off of Futura products today; repurposed old toothbrushes for cleaning brushes.
    3 bags of recyclables are now at the curb.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Added some distilled water to my dd's bottle of leave-in conditioner . . . there were some small dabs hanging on in there so now I'll see how many more uses we get. Tomorrow I think we may cut open ds's toothpaste tube that he was certain didn't have anything left today; I got a small dab out, but it was difficult. I'm sure there is more hiding around the cap end. The jig is up Shrek green Cologate goo!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I never use fabric softener but I have a half a bottle given to me by a friend who didn't like the smell! I use it in the dryer instead of dryer sheets ( put a few drops on a clean rag and toss it in with a load of clothes to be dried). Don't need to buy any dryer sheets for a while as this bottle is going to last forever!

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Leftovers for lunch today. I used the last bit of diced white onions from our taco dinner night by adding them to our teriyaki beef stir-fry. I love onions, can eat them in everything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

oh, bath soaps... this makes me crazy....
    I have close to what seems like a lifetime supply of free or gift body washes. I prefer bar soap, but will use what is free. My bath routine as of late is

Day 1: bar soap
    Day 2: body wash
    Day 3: little slivers of older soap my DH refuses to use
    repeat

I would say I will be happy when the cycle ends, but as I said I think it will never end. I got two or three more bottles of body wash for Christmas!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

using up lots of stuff for DS birthday party Sat. I am trying my best to use what is here instead of spending more money on food.
    My sis is making the main cake. I don't know how much cake we will need, so I am also making cupcakes with the last boxed cake mix. I am not frosting these ahead of time so if they don't get eaten we can freeze them. We are also doing a make your own sundae ice cream bar. I have lots of syrups and topping in the fridge now that need to be eaten. They are going. I am also taking a bag of Christmas MnMs to be mixed in. I am even thinking of baking some brownies to crush and add in. I am also stealing from DH's stash of sodas instead of buying more. Hope this works out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by qsaver704 View Post
    oh, bath soaps... this makes me crazy....
    I would say I will be happy when the cycle ends, but as I said I think it will never end. I got two or three more bottles of body wash for Christmas!!
    How about regifting some of your bottles? They would make a great gift for some lucky people!!

My DD is all about recycling - but she wants me to recycle following her lead!! I told her that I saved the dryer sheets to use to stuff my crocheted snowmen at Christmas!! DD thinks that I am crazy to recylce such small items - I say - whatever we recycle saves something!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie-cat View Post
    I never use fabric softener but I have a half a bottle given to me by a friend who didn't like the smell! I use it in the dryer instead of dryer sheets ( put a few drops on a clean rag and toss it in with a load of clothes to be dried). Don't need to buy any dryer sheets for a while as this bottle is going to last forever!
    hey deb...i know a couple of people that do this and say it works great...

soak a washrag or other cloth in the softner...let it dry out completely...then with each load throw it in the dryer...keep using it till you think it doesn't have any left on it (like many, many uses later)...resoak, dry, reuse.....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast