Use It Up/Waste Not Challenge for January 2010!! - Page 5
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sent ds to school with spaghetti leftovers for lunch, will eat leftovers myself before heading out to run errands.
    Three brown bananas went into banana bread and it's baking as I type!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    How about regifting some of your bottles? They would make a great gift for some lucky people!!

My DD is all about recycling - but she wants me to recycle following her lead!! I told her that I saved the dryer sheets to use to stuff my crocheted snowmen at Christmas!! DD thinks that I am crazy to recylce such small items - I say - whatever we recycle saves something!!!
    I did regift some of it. It gets tricky, but I will continue to work on it.

I have been eating some pretty odd LO. I have ran out of meals and now am just eating whatever is left so there is no waste.
    Today I had BBQ little smokies, black beans, and a new can of peas to add some type of veggie.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If I get a scent that I don't care for, I regift it. People usually give me BBW stuff, so at the semi-annual sale times, I stock up on more of that scent and make up a gift basket to give at the Holidays. I usually gift something like that to one of my brothers' girlfriends.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Made toasted rusks from my HM oatmeal buns; eating them and drinking hot mint tea
    I feel a little better today. (saliva still like bitter, salty acid; face swollen, nauseous)

BRAT Remedy for nausea:
    B: banana
    R: rice
    A: apple or applesauce
    T: tea and toast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

While eating leftover chili last night, dh and I used up some more garlic rolls and three open pkgs of crackers. The crackers are now all gone and I don't need to buy anymore. DD used up a partial bottle of her laundry detergent that had gotten pushed aside and she forgot about. Wednesday night we gave our dfs the rest of a bottle of mayo and the rest of a small container of sour cream. We use very little of either. I bought them both to use in some casseroles I had to make for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Also gave them the rest of a container of tea. Tonight dh is having leftover meat loaf, leftover mashed potatoes, leftover biscuits and salad made from ingredients I need to use up pretty quick. Used up a container of body lotion yesterday, but I do not have to buy more as I already bought some at some point awhile ago.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

made food for DS birthday party tomorrow. I used up one boxed cake for cupcakes and made two boxes of brownies-all from the pantry already.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I knew I would be busy today, so I changed some of my menu this week. I added pot roast- meat in freezer, carrots and potatoes on the way to bad.

I finished off a can of Christmas popcorn last night.

I also used the following at DS party instead of buying stuff:
    plastic spoons and forks from last party
    MnMs as ice cream toppers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I made turkey meatloaf tonight with oatmeal instead of bread (we have lots of oatmeal and not much bread) and the rest of a small package of dehydrated mixed veggies - a very healthy meatloaf!!

This is sort of pathetic, but I have another root canal on Tuesday and the pain pills still untouched that the dentist had given me from the last one. So, I need to remember not to get the pain pill prescription refilled that they automatically give you.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I reused tin foil today. I covered the cat's can of food. I'll continue to use this tin foil for covering the cat's food until I can't anymore.

Added water to a seemingly empty bottle of shampoo and got one more head scrub out of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good going Polly - those little things really do add up!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I keep forgetting about this thread. Yesterday used up last of a bag of older but still good potatoes to make Baked Potato soup. Also used 1 block of cream cheese, rest of a bottle bacon bits hid in back of fridge and some of an opened box of cheese & garlic croutons as toppers for the soup.

Over a couple days time we finished a container of ice cream, a box of snack crackers, sour cream & chives cream cheese and chip dip. Really tired of junk. Got my fill even if it is near free.

Still using Walmart bags.
    Water froze up last night. Still don't have any at 4PM late afternoon. Instead of buying water I have some empty milk jugs that I'm filling up at friends and taking home. Hope it's unfroze by tomorrow. Can't believe no hardware here including Lowes and Home Depot carries heat tape or anything even remotely close. Car places have no clue what De-Icer for windshields is either. Geesh..
    Last edited by NikoSan999; 01-11-2010 at 04:08 PM.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In the past several days we have used up a number of things: Saturday night dh and I had more of the chili (this time over rice). We finished up the peanut butter pie this weekend. Also finished up various little bits of leftovers on our regular Sunday dinner - noshing (better known as grab it yourself). We used up two boxes of cookies with company and I bagged up some candy to give to my df today just to get some of it out of the house. For dinner tonight dh is having leftover fried chicken, leftover mashed potatoes, 2 leftover biscuits, leftover chili and rice w beans (still more left) and salad I need to work on using up. I am using the last disposable razor we have and will have to buy more. Used up a bottle of laundry detergent but have another one available to use. I think that is all for now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Used up more leftovers.
    Making curtains for a friend of DD#1 and he bought way too much fabric. He doesn't want it, so I cut out 4 placemats and 4napkins ( for a birthday gift) and will pass on the rest to DD#2 for some of her sewing projects. I saved the 1" strips of leftover material for DH to tie up tomato plants in the garden this summer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSan999 View Post
    I keep forgetting about this thread. Yesterday used up last of a bag of older but still good potatoes to make Baked Potato soup. Also used 1 block of cream cheese, rest of a bottle bacon bits hid in back of fridge and some of an opened box of cheese & garlic croutons as toppers for the soup.

Over a couple days time we finished a container of ice cream, a box of snack crackers, sour cream & chives cream cheese and chip dip. Really tired of junk. Got my fill even if it is near free.

Still using Walmart bags.
    Water froze up last night. Still don't have any at 4PM late afternoon. Instead of buying water I have some empty milk jugs that I'm filling up at friends and taking home. Hope it's unfroze by tomorrow. Can't believe no hardware here including Lowes and Home Depot carries heat tape or anything even remotely close. Car places have no clue what De-Icer for windshields is either. Geesh..

About the heat tape: if you can get to the pipes, try defrosting with a hair dryer attached to a long extension cord, but heat the area very gradually; sure hope the pipes haven't burst. If you let your faucets drip a little, they shouldn't freeze up again. Keep the cupboard doors open to allow heat near your kitchen/bathroom pipes.
    Instead of De-Icer for windshield, try Windex, it should work. I've even used rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle in a pinch. First scrape the windshielf frost off with a plastic card or even a plastic spatula.
    Spray some WD40 into your car locks, house locks.

I heard about the Florida freeze on the news last night; it's really terrible, all the hazards and problems, and the fruit ruined. Can it be salvaged? Is it close enough to the ripe stage to pick frozen, and then be used for juice, before it starts to rot?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

still challenging myself & dh to use up every bit of food in this house before we re-stock....we have a long ways to go.... but i have decided after this 'purge' that i am not going to keep such a stockpile of food...maybe just 3-4 wks worth as alot of food (such as meat in the freezer) is just not getting eaten fast enough before it hits freezer burn...and being within walking distance of the local grocery i usually can hit the reduced meat section before anyone else gets it all anyway...and 5 out of 7 days there is plenty of bounty....

but when i come across a good sale of canned goods (that we actually use...like veggies) then i will still stockpile if it is a really terrific buy....

so onward we go...eating it all...using it up....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast