Use It Up/Waste Not Challenge for January 2010!!
Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Use It Up/Waste Not Challenge for January 2010!!

Must get this thread going as soon as possible!!! I have learned so much from reading all the posts here - mahalo plenty!!

It doesn't matter what you are using up - please share with us - down to the little bitty bits that are left!!

Must admit that it is not even 2010 here yet - still over two hours to go!!

But that won't stop me from sharing how I am extending the life of my expensive makeup base (since I'm too smart to spend that much again)......I mixed my makeup base with some morning moisturizer and sunscreen. To use most effectively, I first put on moisturizer,then the new base mixture - goes on smoothly anc covers just as well. I am a happy woman!!

What are you using up in January?

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maui, I've started a yarn scrap ball. Whenever I have a piece of yarn that is 3" or longer I tie it to another piece of yarn. I now have a ball about an 1 1/2 inches. I have no idea what I'm going to do with my multi colored ball of yarn when it gets big. Perhaps a coat, like Joseph's coat of many colors, if I ever get that talented with a crochet hook! If I do, I promise I'll take a picture!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Polly - how interesting. I felt a sudden urge of 'I want to do that too!!' - please let me change that to - Polly, let me know if you want some of my yarn pieces to help you on your way.

I bet someone here will come up with a great idea to do with your yarn ball!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My Jan project is to use up and not waste what is in my freezer, fridge, and pantry.

By the end of the month I am hoping it will all be nearing empty and that NOTHING was thrown out to waste.
    EmilyD

Change/Piggy Bank Jar Challenge (I use it for my clothes allowance)
    All silver change into piggy for 1 year (Oct 2019) (Will turn in today 1/3)
    Household savings account $200.00 monthly, current bal. $900.00
    My savings: current bal. 10.00
    Pay extra on mortgage/loan/auto $50.00 @ monthly

Projects for 2020:
    # 1 New front porch
    Major declutter house
    Major declutter garage

2020 Stash Management
    2020 Frugal Challenge
    2020 House Purge / Declutter Challenge
    2020 Meal Planning Challenge
    2020 Grocery Budget Challenge $250.00 monthly

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You're so sweet Maui, I'll PM you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    Must get this thread going as soon as possible!!! I have learned so much from reading all the posts here - mahalo plenty!!

It doesn't matter what you are using up - please share with us - down to the little bitty bits that are left!!

Must admit that it is not even 2010 here yet - still over two hours to go!!

But that won't stop me from sharing how I am extending the life of my expensive makeup base (since I'm too smart to spend that much again)......I mixed my makeup base with some morning moisturizer and sunscreen. To use most effectively, I first put on moisturizer,then the new base mixture - goes on smoothly anc covers just as well. I am a happy woman!!

What are you using up in January?
    i read the other day that when you think your mascara is empty put it in a cup of hot water (with the lid tightly sealed) and it will soften all the dried mascara inside on the sides and give you a few more uses....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    i read the other day that when you think your mascara is empty put it in a cup of hot water (with the lid tightly sealed) and it will soften all the dried mascara inside on the sides and give you a few more uses....
    You can also just trickle the wand under warm water and insert back into the tube and twist it around. This works several times. Many more uses out of it. Done this for years.

I, so far today used up leftover spaghetti sauce for lunch. Also made toast out of older bread. This year I need to quit wasting fresh veggies and fruit. I see in the store and have good intentions of doing this or that with it and end up sticking in the fridge and forgetting about it or "to tired to mess with it right now" and ends up getting thrown out. This needs to stop.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've got 2 trays of old Dollar Store lipglosses, each containing about 8 tiny squares of different-coloured lipgloss.
    I want to mix them all together in a pot, add some olive oil, heat it up to kill bacteria, then repour into empty, sterilized lipstick tubes, or small, sterilized lipgloss jars.
    (Those tiny Mario Badescu sample jars would be perfect.)
    Hope it works!

If I don't get around to that, they'd also make good finger-paints.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Even small lengths of yarn are useful.
    I often use yarn to tie my tomato vines, and to attach strings to the garden fence for my morning glories & runner beans to climb on.

Also, the yarn could be cut into 2 inch pieces, and used for a latch-hook rug or craft. I did this once when crochetting an oval rug; the center is flat, but the outside 6 inches is raised by knotting short pieces of yarn into the stitches. The result looks like a shag rug.

These 2-inch pieces can also be used to make a shaggy pair of crochetted bedroom slippers. First crochet a pair of slippers from doubled-yarn. Then attach the 2-inch pieces all over the slipper by crochetting into every 2nd hole and knotting the stitch with your crochet hook or a latch-hook.
    Result: very warm and cute pair of slippers, and no wasted yarns.
    I have that pattern somewhere, always wanted to try it out.
    I've got lots of yarns, and there's always something that can be done with them.

One of my favourite ways to use up yarn is just to make a crochetted area rug. I use 6 thicknesses of yarn for the best results, and the pattern works up fast. In a few hours, the rug is about 1/4 done. I've got 2 area rugs crochetted in a Lace Rug pattern that I did about 14 years ago. They look good on the floor and are nice and warm for the feet; they vacuum or beat out well, wash in the washer, and still look almost new.

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    Maui, I've started a yarn scrap ball. Whenever I have a piece of yarn that is 3" or longer I tie it to another piece of yarn. I now have a ball about an 1 1/2 inches. I have no idea what I'm going to do with my multi colored ball of yarn when it gets big. Perhaps a coat, like Joseph's coat of many colors, if I ever get that talented with a crochet hook! If I do, I promise I'll take a picture!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default I kept that pack of opened crackers that i thought was stale...

My oldest son has an issue with opening p a new package of crackers everytime he eats them. (working on this) However I found an old package and was going to throw them... however i ate one and they were not to bad.. so i put them in the cupboard because dh is going to use them tomorrow to batter my fish.. It feels really really good to not throw it away....I usually put stuff in my refridge and it goes to waste and end up throwing it away weeks later... today we had chop suey left over from 3 days ago.. I told the kids it was their dinner and that is the way it is going to be from now on.. If there is something in the refridge left over it is to be used for dinner or lunch the next day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow Incognito! I'd like to know more about the rug. How do you make the yarn 6x's? and what number crochet hook would you use for that?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm with Polly on the rug questions Incognito!! Please.

Speaking of rugs....... here I am on a quest for a toothbrush with a hole in the end. Please let me know if anyone has one or knows where I can get one!! Mahalo plenty!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad someone started this post right away at the very beginning of the new year. Last night while going thru my coupons I noticed that I let several expire that were completely free and high value money off. Yesterday, while doing some refunding I noticed I let several refunds go by that would have been simple for me to do if I was paying better attention. This has to stop. It is just wasting money and that drives me crazy. One of my many goals this year is to not let that happen nearly as much or not at all. I also still have the goal of using up whatever food and hba I have on hand and not to waste either. In fact, I really want to be more alert to what I have around here in general and quit wasting just about everything. It all counts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OK, I've just been digging in my knitting needle can (it was once a big popcorn can from Walmart), and I've got 4 big crochet hooks there, plus my latch-hook.
    N - 9.00 mm is the one I usually use.

I've also got a big blue plastic crochet hook with no number on it!
    It's about as thick as a ring finger, I guess.

I just make 6 balls of yarn, then pull them all up together into 1 strand held in my left-hand fingers; then crochet the pattern.
    I keep the tension medium-loose, but tight enough to keep the strands even. They will twist around at times; that's no problem as long as there aren't any stray loops in there; just crochet them as they are, and it works up nicely.

Maui, I know that toothbrushes used to have a hole in the end, but I haven't seen them like that any more. I still use a toothbrush to push my loom rug strands together when weaving rugs from long strips of fabric. You might luck out in finding a toilet bowl brush handle with a hole in it. I've got a few; some of them are sturdy handles, others are more slender, but that's still a lot larger than a toothbrush. I recall my Mom using a rug crochet-hook once that was made by bending & filing a big nail that was pounded into a small block of wood, then whittling the wood in the shape of a handle. She used to make lots of crochetted rugs, some from baler twine (plastic twine and natural fiber twine). Those rugs lasted for 20 years, easy. But it was a real ordeal to work with the material--it was so rough on the hands.

Another thought, maui. You might check out the dollar stores for a suitable plastic handle with a hole in it. Look at the kitchen utensils they've got hanging there, and also some of the bathroom supplies. You might find something that works. Or try the thrift shops; they often have crafting items of all kinds, some are even homemade hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    Wow Incognito! I'd like to know more about the rug. How do you make the yarn 6x's? and what number crochet hook would you use for that?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Took my empty conditioner bottle and poured 1/2 of new bottle into it. Filled both the rest of the way with water. 2 full bottles of conditioner which work just as good as all conditioner. Just shake before using.
    used up 12 old tshirts from dds college days to make her a quilt, gave large leftover pieces to dh for paint and cleaning rags.

Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast