Frugal Village Forums banner

Fling 2010 Things in 2010 Challenge

38K views 970 replies 68 participants last post by  madhen 
#1 ·
How much clutter can you fling?

I'll bet you have 2010 things in your house that don't belong there. Let's find them a new home, whether it be at the thrift store, a friend's house, or the dump. One less thing in your house is one less thing to clean or keep organized!!

#2 ·
Wow!...2010 things? This is a very hard challenge. I can't promise that I'll count every item and that it will add up to 2010, but I'll try my best to declutter as much as possible.

Reactions: madhen
#3 ·
I'm in! I plan on having a huggggggge garage sale this summer so it will help on the count. Not only that but I am dedicated this year to de-clutter even more. I am beginning to detest clutter!

Thanks madhen! :)

#7 ·
~I am joining this year. I only got halfway to my goal of 1000 things in the Fall Fling and I still have a long way to go with papers, kids toys and clothes and items in my sewing area.
I think last year some participants were subtracting things brought into the home. I didn't keep up with the thread all year so I don't know if that lasted or not. Is anyone doing that this year? If you did do this last year, how did it work out for you? Helpful or confusing?~

#8 ·
I want in as well! My tiny apartment is packed to the brim! I want to know also what is actually considered and "item", anything trashed? Like old papers, and such along with items, like old clothing, and unused things? I just want to know exactly, so I can properly give myself credit!

#10 ·
I'm in again this year. I actually went way over last year. 3049 items gone, but boy oh boy, you would never know it by what is left here.
I too am planning a huge patio sale over Memorial Day weekend and with everything my kids have left here that they no longer want and all the stuff dh and I never use and the kids didn't want, it's gonna be a doozie!
I never realized how quickly the items add up, when you sell, donate, give, or just dump.
Started today with 6 magazines to DIL. a large bag of Christmas mints to my dad, 9 egg cartons to the chicken storage shed, 12 soda cans to the recycle barrel, and a large bucket of compost to the compost pile. That's 29 for today. I'm well ahead of the game already.

#11 ·
I'm in.

I just added a page to my blog for my decluttering goal for the year. I'm going to spend the year pretending that we are moving. I'm looking at every item in the house through the lens of, "Am I willing to pack it up, move it, unpack it, and find a home for it in the new house?" I think this should help with some things that have been hanging on. Generally, I'm very good with clutter, but I do have a few things hanging on.

I started today with:

24 books freecycled
14 dvd's sold on secondspin.com
1 electric mug warmer freecycled
tossed Turbo Tax 2007 and 2008

Total: 41 items today alone, and it's not enough noon!

#12 ·
Glad to hear some have started the declutter today. I have decided on a weekly plan for decluttering. Reading other posts, I see that I neglected to count my yard sales items last year. I refused to bring them back into the house.They rode around in my car until I went to the Goodwill town.We also did a major clean in the basement. Still more to work on down there.

#15 ·
For those who asked. Generally, you subtract items from the total that you have brought into the household that are there to stay. I never counted things like groceries because you eat them and then they are gone again. It would be items like clothes, knick-knacks, furniture, anything that will be finding a permament place in your home. Hope that helps!

Today I tossed 4 jars that are no longer usuable. Will be hitting my closet hard tomorrow. :)

Congrats Amy and dean for having a great start! :)

#16 ·
I'm in again, love this challenge!!!

#25 ·
got rid of 10 Christmas decorations I haven't used in forever, a couple of baskets, 2 large bags of fake flowers (why did i ever buy them?!?!?) and one "papasian" chair. Hubby has a pile of socks, and tshirts in a bag for goodwill. I tossed several used up bags.......

#26 ·
Great start, everybody! I'm definitely in - and I like the calendar idea. It would be really satisfying to go back and look at each day and how well you did - or if there were any dry spells :) Getting a good start on the year, so hopefully I'll make it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.