Reorganize my whole life! Challenge to me!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Reorganize my whole life! Challenge to me!

I have never started a challenge before, but then I have never been in this situation before. Please help me with any suggestions and encouragement you might find helpful.

I recently retired from work...like, last week. My house is totally a disaster. Every room cluttered, piles of stuff everywhere... I know...very bad. But, I want to take one room at a time and clean it from top to bottom. Then, I want to get in the habit of keeping it that way. I find myself sitting and watching tv with DH or on the computer, and I keep thinking, I need to get started.

I starting with the bathroom. and just hitting each room as it comes.

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to spend at least 1/2 the day cleaning, if not more, until the entire house is done.
    TIA.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

First - on your retirement!

This article is a good read, it may help > Get Off Your Butt: 16 Ways to Get Motivated When You’re in a Slump | Zen Habits

I had 3 weeks off this past summer and before I knew it a week was GONE by sitting on the PC and watching TV.
    So what I did was limit myself. I put the timer on and when it went off after an hour, the computer was shut down! So you need to set some rules or goals for yourself. Not "have the whole house done in a week" goal. Small goals. Maybe once you reach the small goal you will continue.
    ~Russ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. That's good advice. I figure if it takes me a couple of months to really get through my house, that's ok. As long as I really try to get it done. I want to be able to get up in the morning, do a quick run through the house to tidy it up, then on to other projects. LOL....I'm a long way from that point, but I'm really going to try. And thanks for the recommendation of the article...will read that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great idea with the timer Russ! Congrats on your retirement acabin. Another thing you could try is making a day schedule for yourself. If you see things written down on paper, it might help you to get things accomplished and stay organized! Enjoy your retirement!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Definitely - congrats on your retirement!! Now on to the rest of your life!!

Russ - love that article - have saved it for the future, but enjoyed reading it now!!

Acabin42 - you might want to join our weekly Pyramid Challenge. I've really benefitted from planning and writing things down. Since what you want to accomplish is a definite process - you do need to also schedule fun timing during each and every day.

Please let us know what and how you are doing!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the advice. I do like to work from lists. When I worked, I always made a to do today list. I am getting excited about this now... I'm sure it's going to help to have you'all in the background.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I challenge you to fill a single trash bag this weekend and take it to the curb. Or fill a single bag with donations to a charity resale shop.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats on your retirement.
    I find if I do an hour per day in one room, by weeks end things are pretty organized. With all your built up clutter, it might take a few weeks, but you won't tire of one room if you limit your time there.
    I have a box in my basement for donations, when it's full I drop it off. Several boxes in the shed for Yard Sale items. Recycle bins and just plain trash. Organization leads to more organization and then there will even be time for hobbies, crafts, reading, computer, TV, etc.
    Enjoy!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good morning my friends! I accept your challenges!. I will spend at least one hour in the room, and will fill at least one trash bag.
    I got up this morning, fixed breakfast, then GOT DRESSED, (instead of hanging around all day in my jammies). Checked the computer, made my to do list for today, and am ready to begin.

This is just what I need...thank you....will check in later.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck acabin. I know you can do it. And what a sense of accomplishment you will have each and every day til it has met your satisfaction.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Break time to ask a question. A lot of my problem is clothes. I have so many clothes it's downright shameful. I wear dresses only, so I need to know how many to keep. I need house dresses, town dresses, and church dresses, but don't know how many to keep for each category....and how many for fall/winter and spring/summer.?
    I'm not good at decisions.

BTW, I have 2 bags of clothes for the church yard sale, one bag for a friend to go through, 1 bag for the rag bag...... Down to my shoes in that room.... not going to keep alot, because I also have too many of them....Man, I ought to be ashamed of myself. I didn't realizse I had so much, and sure don't need it all.

going back in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great work acabin. If I was you, I would first sort the dresses according to season, then cut the amount by 1/3. You can always sort again later, after all you do have the time now that you are retired.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, Dean. That's a good idea. I should have the bathroom done by the end of the day,except for sorting my clothes. I am going to be ruthless! Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

First of all I am SO INCREDIBLY JEALOUS! I want to retire too.

I see you're in Arkansas, so spring is probably coming soon. For the clothes, if you have room, you could pack away all the fall and winter things for the present, and cull the spring/summer. Then in the fall, when you have the house under control, you will have more leisure to deal with them. By then you will also have more of a sense of how much you should keep. That is also the time of year when charities would probably be really happy to get any you might want to discard.

My first thought when I read your post was the same as Mauimagics - join the Weekly Pyramid Challenge. I start it just this week, and I really did get more accomplished. I had actually told someone what I intended to do, so I felt obliged to follow through on it. I didn't score a 100, but got closer than usual.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Russ, sometimes we just need a week of tv and computer. It can be frustrating in retrospect, but I've done this too on long breaks (my drugs of choice are usually jigsaw puzzles, very light books, and computer). I'm always annoyed with myself, but then I try to be realistic and admit that if all I wanted to do was sit comotose, probably I was really really tired and it was, on the whole, good for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast