Home Decorators Challenge - Page 12
Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nuisance, I hadn't heard from you on this thread and was so happy to see you're still here! I love your new posts, and will get back to you with some comments tomorrow! I am so "typed out" after making the new challenge post!

TTYL!

Theresa

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ladies, Here's some interesting information about color that may prove helpful in this color challenge.

Using Color For Home Decor

One of the least expensive, yet most dramatic techniques for changing the look and feel of a room is color. No other single element can have quite the same impact. A judicious choice of color can transform an ordinary room into one that is perfectly spectacular. The right color can evoke feelings of warmth, calmness, excitement and happiness. Color has the uncanny knack of conveying any feeling you are trying to express. When choosing a color it is important to take into consideration the mood you want the room to reflect. Using color properly can make every room in the house unique and inviting.

Impact of Colors

Decorating With Colors"Color belongs to our being: maybe each one of us has his own". Le Corbusier

Color is a universal language, it stimulates the emotions, shapes, cultures and forms the background of our world. Everybody's life is enriched by color, which both energizes and lifts the spirit. Color can be a tremendous enhancement when you love it, or cause a real depletion in energy if you don't.

The rights colors are silent music; the wrong colors irritate and disturb. Louis Cheskin

Explore the impact color has on our living spaces and how we respond to its presence. Consider how color and texture in the natural world can act as your guide. Color can be vibrant and arresting, or calm and soothing, we are all born with our personal response to color. If a color bugs you, get rid of it. Color is powerful and personal, each one has its own unique color palette.

The way we see color can be very different from the next person, and what one person may consider to be bright and colorful, another may consider garish.

Each basic color includes a wide spectrum of tones and hues.

Stay within the palette you are attracted to, and your color choices will create an atmosphere you will enjoy every day.

Color can nurture your soul as food nourishes your body. Determine what colors are your favorites. You don't have to soak the walls in lurid planes of saturated shades to achieve a sense of color.

CHOOSE ITEMS IN YOUR COLORS, SUCH AS FABRIC, VASES, DISHES, THROWS, LAMPS, AND FLOWERS, AND PLACE THEM WHERE THEY CAN FEED YOU WITH A GLANCE. SMALL DETAILS WILL PUNCTUATE THE SPACE WITH A SURE TOUCH.

Be guided by what you love, and enjoy the result. Be acutely aware of color, intoxicated by the colors in nature and the impact they had on the environment.

Choosing colors for your home can be an exciting journey of discovery.

Color creates mood

Color has a powerful psychological impact and can influence our state of mind. Some colors are regarded as healing, making us feel happy and well, while others have a negative impact, inducing melancholy.

Many of these emotional responses to color have become expressions in everyday speech. We refer to black moods, to feeling ÓblueÓ and "seeing red.

For instance, the use of flowers in the home illustrates the mood-enhancing powers of color. Yellow flowers will create a bright and happy ambience, while white or green arrangements create a feeling of calm and serenity.

Yellow is the happiest color of the spectrum. On the color wheel, the opposite of yellow is violet, and mixing yellow with purple or blue works well .

Orange is an exhibitionist, the hottest color in the spectrum, it can be an intense and challenging color to work with, but the results can bring a carnival. Mixing bright orange with vivid reds and yellows, or rich burgundy and plum works well. Orange and purple are a vivacious team.

Bright pink is a positive, happy color, is a saturated hue with purple and red in its color makeup. It's fun and frivolous.

Blue is the ultimate cool color. Sky blue , shades of dove gray and fawn, and pure white create a peaceful retreat to soothe the soul, sending a message of calm and serenity
    Azure blue can be bright and vibrant as well as creating a feeling of calm.

Pale shades of blue against white, brown and quiet gray are gentle colors to work with in bedrooms, bathrooms, living rooms. Their quiet subtlety quite simply enables you to relax.

Lilac: it works best placed against white rather than dark wood. Look for heavy pottery, solids rather than patterns, especially floral .

Lavender: tones of shell pin are especially pleasing in bedrooms and bathrooms if you want to create a clean, calm atmosphere.
    All shades of lavender and mauve look wonderfully elegant partnered with silver groups and gray-greens

Green, deeply relaxing, is a central color in decorating, connected with nature and the sea, it may be one of the reasons people find it so easy to live with. Bathing room in plain green, using shade of apple, pea, and euphorbia, strong and subtle at the same time, always warms the walls and lifts the spirits. Relaxing and eating will seem the most natural thing to do surrounded by such a reassuring range of colors. Works with plain wooden or painted furniture rather than elaborately upholstered or decorated pieces.

White: combinations of white on white are always clean and refreshing( gray-white, bone-white, dirty white).
    White is always pure and appealing, a good way of neutralizing crowded thoughts and busy decoration .

Cream means white with a hint of yellow. It is a soothing and result on the eye, but also elegant. Shades described as ivory, oyster, magnolia, shell, and vanilla all sit within the color band.

Red is active more than passive, stimulating rather relaxing. Color of flame and passion, color of energy, spirit, power, vigor, love sexuality, and danger. It suggests both love and hate.
    Rich red is opulent and substantial, imposing and seductive. Use it with confidence on a grand scale or as obvious highlight for glamour and gloss.

Rust symbolizes the glorious display of fall colors when shades of rust prevail. Mixing rust with burgundy, brown, plum, and deep reds, while paler shades mix with light yellow.

Plum is a sophisticated color. As a close relation to black, plum is a receding color that absorbs light. To make plum look grand in a formal Victorian manner, mix it with grey. By contrast acid lime-green makes plum look fresh and modern. Plum by itself is quite moody- even a touch of melancholic .

Burgundy is a rich and sophisticated color.

Silver has been a key color on the fashion and design circuits since the year 2000

Theresa, I like this challenge and think I just may in the near future use it in my dressing room. The room will be accented with silver, so perhaps a small decorative arrangement in silver. Picture frames? I'm liking that....HMMM.....looks like I'm on a finding picture frames mission.

For this moment though I believe I will forgo the painting part, but use the same color theme part of the challenge. I really need to focus on using what I have. I will concentrate on the hutch filled haphazzardly with whatever I had close by and concentrate on filling with only the pieces I enjoy. I'm going to use my gray enamelware to create a color theme.
    Last edited by pollypurebred39; 04-22-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

baxjul, I immediately thought of your yellow checked curtains when I read this color challenge. How stunning would an all yellow arrangement be with those curtains!!! I think it would be incredible. But I just love yellow, it's such a mood lifter. Now of course you don't have to do the kitchen, or yellow for that matter *giggles* but it really would be smashing! Maybe flower pots painted yellow with yellow flowers? Okay maybe that just might be too much yellow, but then again....Can't wait to hear what idea you come up with!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm thinking.

I actually have some forest green paint that I've been meaning to paint things with, and it will match my living room. Hmmmm. What to paint, what to paint...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

nuisance, Loving the phone! replacing those phone batteries all the time, ugh...What a Racket! Replacement parts are a great way to make revenue. So tired of buying replacement parts or having thing die right after the warranty runs out. We been trying to make better choices in our purchases so we don't have to be continually be forking out cash. Researching prouducts before purchase to find the highest quality and the longest life possible. Of course you pay more in the long run, but if things last a lot longer then it's worth it. We are completely done with hand held phones. At first we thought we were just having bad luck with them, but after several years of replacing batteries then the phones themselves we've just had it.

I'm so happy your DH is liking your style, it's hard when styles clash. I expect when my husband decorates the basement it will be all recliners and a massive sectional sofa that will eat up the floor space till you have to pratically fly over the furniture to get a seat. Of course there will be a massive entertainment center with a HUGE tv. Because to him that says relaxation. LOL! I'm not going to say a word, it will be his cave. I'm postive I'll spend very litle time in the man cave.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

baxjul, ooo I like green!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by baxjul View Post
    I'm thinking.

I actually have some forest green paint that I've been meaning to paint things with, and it will match my living room. Hmmmm. What to paint, what to paint...

I think forest green will always be one of my favorite colors. I love deep, rich colors like that, and except when I had baby's rooms and my daughters were in their "pink years", I've never used a pastel color scheme.

I am so looking forward to hearing about, and hopefully seeing what everbody gathered together for this project! Should be pretty interesting and revealing as to your personality, kwim?

Polly, I am so looking forward to seeing your enamelware! Ya know, when you mentioned owning a collection of it, I went to Ebay because I've never seen it in grey. I couldn't find any though, so I'm guessing it's pretty rare, no?

Well, I did a little bit of "in house" shopping today, and put together a collection for one of the tables in my living room. I keep moving things around, so just not quite settled on the arrangement. I will post pics as soon as I'm happy with it.

I am also going to do another "corner", but this will take some paint. I want the fun of doing that part. I have this small unfinished porcelain sea horse night light that I picked up in the Dollar Tree, and it kinda got my brain waves rolling towards doing a couple of things in the bathroom. I have some VERY dark brown paint, and also black. Either will work, but I just might go with white or ecru. This will be in my blue BR, and the doors and molding is white, so....

Hope everyone is having fun!

Theresa
    Last edited by mamamia; 04-22-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi again ladies! last night when I posred the new challenge, there were a few things I gorgot to mention, so I'll go over them with you now.

Because this project will probably require some searching/shopping and painting, I'm thinking of letting it run till Sunday, Mat 1st. That's about 10 days. Is everybody comfortable with that time-frame? I of course want the projects to alwats be fun, so please speak up if you think 2 full weeks might be better.

The other things I wanted to talk about were some more ideas for items you might already have that would be useful, and also another painting technique, that could help too.

So 1st, here's a small added list of things you probably already own, and could lend themselves to make your "grouping" a little more interesting.

Keys
    Tiles or trivets
    feathers
    small branches
    small bottles- perfume bottles would be pretty
    different shaped strofoam- cones, balls, etc.

The other thing I wanted to mention was using different painting techniques. This might help break up the Monotony" of using just one "flat" color, especially if you're painting several pieces. You might want to try sponging or rag painting. Also, you might feel creative, and paint on patterns in another color such as white, and make stripes, squares, even polka dots.

Remember that stenciling is always pretty. Here's a couple of sites to download some free patters >>

Free Stencils -- Free Stencils Collection to Print and Cut Out

Free Stencils Collection -- Letters, Alphabets, Numbers, Words, and Phrases Stencils

Have you ever done stamping or transferring? This could be fun and creative for a very unique finished item.
    Think about how pretty gold or silver could look an all white or black item. Or for that matter, maybe find a place to stencil on your initial in black on a white item, or visa-versa. Or how about a familiar verse, like Live-Love-Laugh? aI like that idea alot.

So maybe you also have some painting ideas, or collection item ideas going on. Please bring them here, we all would love to hear them!

Keep those "thinking caps" on girls! It's time to get creative!

Theresa

Oh, and before I forget, I think it might be fun if we each keep a running list of things we are finding to use for our collection., and post to this thread. I'lll end this post, and start another with my list so far.
    Last edited by mamamia; 04-22-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Theresa,

"Polly, I am so looking forward to seeing your enamelware! Ya know, when you mentioned owning a collection of it, I went to Ebay because I've never seen it in grey. I couldn't find any though, so I'm guessing it's pretty rare, no?"

Actually I don't think it's rare. The blue and white bring a higher price. I'm not sure why it's hard to find. I'll do a search and see if I can find out some information on it. I'm only putting out some of the pieces, most do not fit on the hutch. I'm hoping it will make a better statement then what I had going on. It might just be one shelf, or maybe two but it will be gray for sure.

My brain's been spinning on this challenge. I'm going to have to make the challenge in silver a long term one since I need to find certain frames and such. I was thinking of doing one of the walls with silver accents. The picture frames, a mirror, that old lamp I bought, and the table I plan on using for my vanity, I'd love to paint the legs silver. It definately would need to be long term, so please keep that open for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    Theresa,

My brain's been spinning on this challenge. I'm going to have to make the challenge in silver a long term one since I need to find certain frames and such. I was thinking of doing one of the walls with silver accents. The picture frames, a mirror, that old lamp I bought, and the table I plan on using for my vanity, I'd love to paint the legs silver. It definately would need to be long term, so please keep that open for me.
    You got it Polly! Do whatcha gotta do! I love your silver idea. Funny too, ecause I had mentioned when I re-do my frrecycle chair in the black/white zebra stripes, I'd like to do the wood parts in silver. I think she'd love it with the teal and black she chose for her room re-do. We really do think ALOT alike Polly.

And I love your list of "collection items". I just got done making my list and post, when again I must have accidently touched something and it ALL disappeared. I HATE this lap-top!! But I will go back and make my list again GRRR!

Theresa

And BTW, another thing about your post that made me shake my head over just how much our decorating ideas are alike, was when I read the part about the silver wall accents. I was just tonight thinking about stencilling (or something) silver accents on my 17 YO's walls. And was also thinking of running a bronzey or copper colored running pattern, on the walls between the high molding we put in, and the ceiling in my BR. "Great minds really do think alike" Polly! But isn't that funny?

And thanks for trying to find the grey enamel for me. I really want to see it.

OK, off to mke my list AGAIN!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's a neat link of pictures of rooms decorated with color.

Editor's Picks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Polly - love that link - mahalo for finding it - a great inspiration!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Theresa, I think you may have hit the Esc key. I used to hit it all the time till I learned it deletes everything the moment it's hit. :hugs:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I have no idea what to do for this challenge. All my mind keeps running to would look cute and creative but would just be clutter. I'll have to think about this some more.~

Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast