are you keeping clothes you don't like?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default are you keeping clothes you don't like?

For far too long, I've had clothes that I just "tolerate" wearing. They don't fit right, look shluppy, or otherwise make me feel awkward while wearing them. In the past few days I have been cleaning and organizing my closet and I am donating the things that don't make me feel good when I am wearing them.
    I don't have many clothes at all. I work in scrubs and basically just need jeans, tee shirts and sweaters for daily use. If there is a special occasion coming up, I most often end up shopping for something "nice".
    I've decided that I'd rather have fewer things in the closet, and know that those pieces fit well and look good. I've never been in the habit of primping unless I'm going "out" but I have been realizing the value of feeling good about myself, and noticing how much my appearance affects my mood.
    It truly doesn't take any more time or effort to put on a tee shirt with a nice fit and springy color and well fitting jeans than it does to put on a stretched out bummy tee and ill fitting jeans. It changes the way I feel immensely though.
    After getting rid of the jeans that don't fit, I was left with one pair so I plan to buy a couple new ones, which I swear I will actually try on before I leave the store! I did keep a couple pairs one size smaller than I am now, since I am 2 months post partum and may lose a bit more weight. But, I made sure the ones I kept are ones that I liked when they fit.
    So, I challenge my fellow FVers, donate or sell the clothes that make you feel less than good, and see how much your mood and outlook improves!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I;m doing this right now!! I have several piles ready to go this weekend. donate, sell at consignment shop, and trash (yea, some are that bad!)

My closet is looking sad, but I refuse to fill it with cheap, ill fitting clothes ever again!

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Did this yesterday, but I still have to go through my pyjamas (aka pile of ratty t-shirts and holey pj pants).

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been getting rid of clothes that were to big and just made me look bigger. It does make me feel better when I know I have a nice outfit on that is comfortable to wear.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Simple answer.... yes!

It's a never ending work in progress...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am totally starting this too. I've noticed i've seperated my closet in half. One side is good, new, nice fitting stuff and the other side is old, ill fitting, ratty stuff. I do however have a couple of Tshirts that are wornout, faded, OLD and mishapen that I will not get rid of for sentimental reasons. But I only wear them to bed OR to work out in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

nope. i purge and consign regularly.....and i try to go by the if you havent worn it in 2 yrs, get rid of it! rule.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

mama,I feel where you are coming from. I'm trying to be better at just buying things to make do until another day. How many days do I have left? I have a stack of things for the Goodwill that don't really look good on me for some reason or the other. Then there are a few things I haven't worn in years.
    I did get measured for jeans at Lane Bryant and loved them.I then lost a few pounds and now they don't fit. Gotta decide what to do next.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I need to go through my clostet. There are things like everyone else for one reason or another I hold on to and need to get rid of. Dh needs to go through his stuff too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to purge. End of story. Most items in my closet on hangers I've barely worn or may not wear again. I should just toss them into a bag for donation w/o batting an eye ... but its hard. All my current clothes are in my bedroom in a wardrobe or dressers.

One day I'll get motivated

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm making myself keep clothes I don't like for the next few years to save money. All too often I will do a purge and comfort myself saying "oh I'm giving it to Goodwill, its ok I will buy more at Goodwill and its so cheap" only to realize that I'm just reinforcing my shopping habit instead of the "waste not want not" habit that I used to prefer.

If its horridly ugly then by all means get rid of it, but be aware of your reasoning, we can rationalize anything when we really want to. I was. Not saying you are.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to do this, thanks for the reminder! It IS important to wear clothes that make us feel good! I have a lot of clothes in my closet that I never wear and just haven't been able to get rid of. I don't know why it's so hard to part with them!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

if you are loosing weight, a good tailor is a great help! they can take in jeans. but, only take in the ones that are worth it. i wouldnt bother taking in walmart pants, etc. but, if they are a good brand name, then by all means, go to the tailor and make them fit properly!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfriend View Post
    I need to do this, thanks for the reminder! It IS important to wear clothes that make us feel good! I have a lot of clothes in my closet that I never wear and just haven't been able to get rid of. I don't know why it's so hard to part with them!
    You're probably like me...hoping to be able to wear the clothes again sometime in the future but by then they would be dated. Plus the fact you spent money on them, you don't want to just 'toss' them but sometimes its the right thing to do.

Just think of it this way - less clutter = better for your soul

(at least I keep trying to tell myself that!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post

If its horridly ugly then by all means get rid of it, but be aware of your reasoning, we can rationalize anything when we really want to. I was. Not saying you are.
    I totally understand where you are coming from. If replacing the items that I get rid of doesn't fit into the budget, then I'd rather wear the things I do like over and over again than feel crappy in what I have on.
    I've fallen into the habit of just throwing on the ratty stuff to run errands etc and saving the "good" jeans or the "nice" sweater for another day. I would talk myself out of wearing a bracelet or a swipe of mascara because I was "just running errands". Well, grocery shopping, running errands etc is a huge part of my daily life and I guess I decided life's too short to not feel pretty. Frugally, and within my budget of course! An added bonus is that since I feel like I look presentable, I have been able to be more spontaneous and meet a friend for lunch or pop in at work with my new baby without feeling like I should run home and "get ready" first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast