2011 - Homemade Christmas Challenge
Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast
    Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2011 - Homemade Christmas Challenge

Too soon?

Just looking at the tiny impersonal pile of stuff that I spent a fortune on at the last minute, and thought it was time for my annual vow to do better next year . The only thing I made myself was the bath salts for my mother in law - and only because she specifically asked for them.

I'm already starting to think of ideas for next year. Who's with me?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Me!ME!Me! waving from over across the room...lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'll jump in, even though my family doesn't really seem too thrilled with HM stuff. Maybe I'll make some beeswax candles - everyone likes candles, or at least NEEDS them sometimes!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in. I was just thinking about this earlier today
    I'm still thinking on what to make.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in, but I'm cheating. I grow chocolate mint and make satchels. My family isn't crazy about homemade gifts either but these they do use and then toss out without guilt because they know it didn't cost me anything but time.

My family "can't have" candles. Both men of the family adamantly refuse to "allow" the women to have them. But I love the idea of homemade candles and I hope you post pictures when you do them. (I do not personally adhere to their rule about the candles and love candles)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am joining here and I do not know if others in the family like or dislike homemade gifts or not. They WILL get them next year if they receive a gift from my dh and me.

I am going to learn to crochet better and learn how to make the bath salts, etc. I am also going to make tarts instead of wick candles (I will get some of those coffee cup warmers and votive cups to give with the tarts).

I will be better this next year, I WILL BE BETTER THIS NEXT YEAR.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Two years ago, I made homemade soap for my family. I even designed special labels for each bar and wrapped them. Put them in each stocking as a special gift. All but one has never even acknowledged getting them, and the one that did took close to a year to ask, in passing one day, was that HM soap you gave us for Christmas? When I said that it was, the response was something to the effect of, oh, I didn't even realize it until I looked at the label a little closer and saw the picture (which was the same as my avatar). Thus closed the HM soap for Christmas chapter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Never too soon to think about next year!! This year i totally blew it on my homemade gifts. With a series of events i just lost my xmas crafting ambition.

For 2011 xmas

I would like to make a copy cat version of beer bread sold thru tastefully simple. I need to find a copy cat dip to go with it. So in my travels at goodwill and SA i will be looking for bowls for dip and maybe a bread loaf pan, but that depends on the cost.

Also thinking of making flavored olive oil for bread dipping. That would entail me looking for those bottles that have a pourer at the top.

Thank you for starting this thread

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have several friends whose husbands won't *let* them burn candles....WTH is that all about???

Madhen...great to see you back!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    I have several friends whose husbands won't *let* them burn candles....WTH is that all about???

My father wouldn't "Allow" candles. The smelly ones gave him headaches mom couldn't wear perfume either because of this. The smoke from the others (maybe the melting wax) but definitely when we blew them out made him sick, smoke in genreal bothered him very much. My mom loved taper candles and had pretty candle sticks from her mother. But they couldn't be used.

After I grew up and moved out Dad discovered one day while visiting us ( hubby, me and our first child) that oil lamps with ultra pure oil didn't bother him physically and he found some taper glass "candles" that burned this oil and gave them to my mom.

They found a something that worked for them. Talk about love both ways.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post

I'm told it's because candles are a huge fire hazard. I get lectured anytime they know I am "still using those?!" But whatever, I am careful with my placement of them, I never leave the house with them going, supervise my pets as well. I don't have cats and they do, maybe they are afraid the cats will knock them over. Personally, knowing the people myself, I see it as just another form of control.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Will be taking free knitting classes this summer when I'm on summer break from work-so hopefully many gifts there.
    Made 2 quilts for gifts this Christmas, planning a few more for next Christmas.
    Made a hm tree garland as a gift this year-will do a few more for next year.
    I've been collecting mugs for awhile now to do mug mixes for my coworkers for 2011.
    Crochet dish cloths for stocking stuffers for dd1, dd2, and dil for the last 2 years, now they expect them.
    Making matching pajamas for grandchildren and dil and ds next year. They will love them. Just found patterns on sale at JoAnn's a few weeks ago.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh I am in! I did make some homemade dish cloths for my sis and mom this year. We will see how well it goes over! I also made a knitted homemade blanket for my nephew who is 5 months old....I am sure that will be well loved. I will probably make more dish clothes, and would like to make quilted tote bags and maybe learn to crochet or knit hats and mittens for next year! I love the idea of homemade christmas gifts...not sure if my family will apprieciate them though!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am in!! I made quite a few gifts this year and plan on more next year. I am adding candle making to my list as I found a great deal on wick already. Will be doing more sewing, quilting, knitting and crocheting. I am also adding homemade garland to my list as EVERYONE loved the one dean made me.

I also want to add homemade body wash, soap and rug making.

Thanks for starting the thread! I was going to start one the day after Christmas.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm not a fan of candles, I don't use them or let anyone use them in my house. I'm terrified of fire.

My mother-in-law uses them a bit, mostly on the table but I've seen a few decorative ones around the house. I was thinking about this: Sea Shell Candle Craft - How to Make a Candle Out of a Sea Shell for something to put in her gift (which will be mainly bath stuff as she loves the homemade salts). Their house is on the site of their old cottage and has a lot of beachy type decor, so I thought this would go well in the bathroom.

I'm thinking a basket of bath stuff - shell candle, salts, hm soap if I figure out how, maybe those facial scrubs that were posted, maybe something I could sew or knit...

Of course my MIL is the absolute easiest person to think of a gift for, it's my Dad's gift that I will be out on 12/24/2011 trying to find.

Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast