2011 Home Project Organizational Challenge - Page 15
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The weather has been overcast and drizzly for the last couple of days, and it has been acting like a wet blanket on my motivation. Trying to bust out of the doldrums today and get back to getting things done!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Debbie, you're such an optimist!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My doorways are done and I just need one last coat of white paint on the telephone alcove. I'll probably finish the last wall in the hallway before the end of the week. May's goal will be to prime and paint the 2 doors and get them rehung w/ the hinges and lever style doorknobs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Doubtful I'll get my sewing room done, but I have a huge start on it so I should be able to keep at it. The biggest problem is some large UFOs that are taking a lot of space and creating a lot of clutter. So I'll have to work my way through those to make any real progress. But at least I can see most of the floor again and the five sewing machine tables are mostly cleared off. That'll help a lot!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You must have a huge sewing room SD to have 5 sewing tables in there! I'm jealous!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish! It's only about 12x13 plus a 4x4 closet, so it took some careful planning to fit everything in and make it all work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My master bathroom cabinet was originally painted in oil-based paint, but the guy we bought the house from swiped latex paint over it for a quick fix, and it's peeling in a few areas. Mostly the drawers' sides where they've been scraped as they were pulled in/out. My question is, can I prime over the entire thing and repaint, or do I need to sand the latex off, prime, and then paint? Or could I get by with sanding the areas already peeling, priming, and THEN painting?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MyMelody View Post
    My master bathroom cabinet was originally painted in oil-based paint, but the guy we bought the house from swiped latex paint over it for a quick fix, and it's peeling in a few areas. Mostly the drawers' sides where they've been scraped as they were pulled in/out. My question is, can I prime over the entire thing and repaint, or do I need to sand the latex off, prime, and then paint? Or could I get by with sanding the areas already peeling, priming, and THEN painting?
    I'm not a painting expert, but Kilz is pretty amazing stuff. I'd scrub it clean, throw on a layer or two of Kilz and then paint it. We had a bedroom that had Sharpie ink all around it and Kilz covered it just fine with no bleed through. Took 2 coats as it was black sharpie, but that was it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Made good progress yesterday on April's project of getting the backyard in shape. Still working on the deck, and I have to come up with a May project!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My project for May will be to get the small garden prepped and planted. The larger garden will have to wait until June since it is located where it has more exposure to the elements. I won't he able to plant until the very end of the month but fingers crossed that the weather will cooperate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

MyMelody, if the paint is where the drawers normally rub and isn't seen when the drawer is closed, I'd leave it as is. Sometimes adding paint on a drawer's runners can cause it to stick. The paint won't stay on it if it's on two surfaces that constantly rub together anyway.

KILZ is great stuff but if you're sensitive to chemicals at all, stay away from it. The last time I used the oil-based stuff, my face swelled up about three times normal and I got a red rash all over. I've tried using the water-based version as well, and even using it outside caused a mild version of the reaction to I had to the oil-based stuff.

If paint is not sticking to the layer of paint underneath it, you need to remove the peeling layer at least. Then sand and paint.

My husband moved 62 concrete blocks to the new garden area for me tonight, so I can get started on the new raised perennial garden in front of the house. That's part of my May project, so I hope it all goes well!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I NEED to join this challenge, if I may? I love a clean house, but never seem to keep it that way!!

For May my goal is to clean, declutter and organize my bathroom. I would also like to finish the vinyl tile around the doorways--a project started long ago.

I started working in there this morning, but can't seem to stay on track. Help!!!

Eskielover

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've shifted focus away from priming/painting the doors to instead sprucing up the master bath to make it passable and try to get this house sold. I'll eventually get to the doors also. Probably won't finish both by the end of the month, however.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Doing well on this month's goal. The small garden is prepped, fencing in place around it to deter the deer and rabbits. I have planted my chives, carrots, radishes, celery and broccoli so far. We are expecting freezing temps this weekend so I will have to cover the celery and will plant the peppers, basil, tomatoes and cauliflower next week. . This is the best year I have ever done with starting from seeds. I must have done something right as the plants are huge and healthy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today I primed:

- 4 doors
    - bathroom cabinet
    - doorways
    - window frame
    - baseboard

Tomorrow I hope to prime:

- crown molding
    - sliding closet doors
    - built-in cabinet over toilet

and get a coat of white paint on everything I primed today, plus spray paint 2 sets of white shutters. This will get me about ready to paint the walls, then we'll look at replacing the mirror (DH already took the old one down), light fixture, and put in new cabinet knobs, curtain rods and towel bars. Let's hope my energy lasts.

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast