Re-purposing challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pulled a bag from my "I may donate it pile" and made it into DD's soccer bag. Need to get an iron on or something like I did with her dance bag. It's just easier for each activity to have a bag. When we come home, all the stuff goes into the bag and stays there until needed again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been contemplating organization and lack of same in my chest freezer, and decided three oven racks will make a dandy bin in the bottom of the freezer. Two of the regular-sized ones are the right size to go the short way across the freezer, and I'll cut one in half to make the ends and fasten the whole works together with some sturdy cable ties in each corner. Should work out great, and help keep things from sliding around in there. I get the oven racks from the local appliance recycling place for free. I hope to get that done in the next couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my brother in law is a big truck mechanic and some big part comes in these big rectangle plastic tubs with tops

i have 2 under my kids bed one for each kids clothes..no dresser needed and more space in their room

i use another for a whelping box for my yorkies =)

i have a skinny tall dresser (dont know if this counts) i got at kmart and the bottoms started falling out and i stopped using it..well last night i fixed and put in light items in the top 4 drawers like bras and panties and the bottom one has all my body spayes (ALOT) and sunglasses

i moved the smaller under the bed store bought tubs to my room and put socks belts and hats in 1, my pjs in another and sweaters in another..now its under my bed and the closet thingy (stand up closet) has more space for hubby and my stuff and its neater looking

i cleaned off the kitchen counter/island and moved the computer in their and the printer is hidden in the cabinet part..more space in my room

moved the old desk from my room for kids room for tv and computer..took out old HUGE entertainment center from their room MORE SPACE

i have a round blue n white vase on the stove for utensils

my kitchen canisters hold plastics bag and utensils

a noodle canister holds sewing stuff

redoing my bedroom in victorian images and digging through the crap upstairs i found and old figurine set of a victorian couple//the back piece is broken but i dont think it is noticeable

my bookshelves is now in the kitchen for pantry items the top has my plastic storage with flour, and sugars next is my baking supplies then my condiments and crackers
    and then i re-purposed a box with border paper an placed it on the bottom bookshelves and it has the dog toys supplies and the food in on the same shelf

i got a shower candy that suctions to the shower wall (boomerang shape) but never really stayed now its on the floor, in the corner behind the toilet and holds tampons and stuff like that..and room spray =)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I took the lid to an old refergiator dish and put 2 old glad candle glasses on it one had creamer in it the other sugar..I uses a potato chip lid to cover each..spoons fit between them on the tray so no mess on the counter..

Also use milk creats 3 high sit on there side to hold towels and wash cloths in the bathroom..I have a piece of plywood on top to sit stuff on..I have them zip tied together and they just fit beside my free standing sink

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used a stair baluster to hold up the corner of the new microwave shelf in our kitchen. I have one left and plan to use that to hold up the corner of a cat loft over the patio door in the living room.

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This week the only thing I "re-purposed" was some ends and peels of this and that out of which I made delicious vegetable stock - but that's something, right? I got a lot of stock and all from stuff I would have thrown away, until I started my stock bag in my freezer a few weeks ago!

I think I already mentioned that I cut a thin dish towel in half to make cloth napkins by sewing around the edges. If I didn't mention it, that's new, I did it recently. But anyway, I've been embroidering them in my free time. Nothing "useful" but fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got out to the recycling place and picked up two broiler pans, a couple shallow plastic fridge drawers, and an old, old ice storage drawer from an antique fridge. Those replaced the broken, leaky, cheapo plastic gardening trays in my mini-greenhouse. I'm especially happy about the antique tray as it's aluminum so lightweight and sturdy. They all work perfectly! Nice to have something durable and sturdy so I don't have to worry about my precious seedlings ending up on the floor because the weak plastic crappy trays can't handle the weight.

I also picked up some plastic veggie drawers from fridges and recycled them into storage trays in our old kitchen cabinets that we put up in my sewing room.

And I grabbed some coated-wire drawers for various storage needs.

I love fridge drawers because they come in sizes that often fit where storage containers won't, they're sturdy, they're easy to clean, they always have a handle on one end and a rim on the other that works as a handle, and they're free. Sometimes I pick up enamel ones which are VERY sturdy and work great for storage of heavy items in the garage.

I have a pretty etched glass Tang pitcher that I use every day as my water bottle, since I've quit using as much plastic. I have a plain Tang jar I use to store hummingbird nectar in the fridge every summer.

I use Tupperware sandwich boxes for my beading projects. They make a great tray to hold beads and the lids fit tightly so the beads don't get spilled.

I use plastic veggie drawers from fridges under the front seats of our van and truck to hold hand wipes, Kleenex, and other little items. They make handy little drawers there for all kinds of things.

I bought a cat-shaped cookie jar missing its lid and use it as a planter to grow cat grass.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a half bath in our new home that doesn't have a linen closet in it. We had an old, but very good condition, VHS tape cabinet. It was the perfect size for the half bath. I keep rolls of toilet paper, lysol, paper towels, etc. in it. It has solid doors on it so everything is neatly hidden away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought an antique collander, black speckled granite, that was missing the feet for a quarter. I use it to hold my onions on my microwave cart. They get plenty of air circulation plus it looks cute!~

I used a large enamel pan to hold my potatoes, about 10 lbs will fit in it. It is red/white swirl granite so it looks cute in the kitchen too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is kind of for those who camp..Took the cutout from bathroom sink counter..Put a pipe fitting on the bottom..Screwed a galv. pipe onto the fitting..drove a stake into the ground that the pipe fits over and sit table on to for inbetween lawn chairs to put drank and good book on..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made some swifter wet jet pads out of and old cloth quilted mattress cover then i just throw them in washer has saved quite a bit by not buying the pads i also had some fleece that i had cut off no sew throw that was big enough to go on swifter and i used that for dry swifter pads.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

2.5 gallon water jugs turned into planters (with watering tube down to the roots so you don't have to water from the top)!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Turned a couple of Half and Half cartons into planters for the trees I got from the Arbor Day Foundation. The pots I had the trees in were too shallow for those long roots, and the Half and Half containers work perfectly!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This thread is a fun read.

Gives me ideas and I like that....like to see the creative people and their ideas.

Not sure I will do one a week......unless I can count them more than once.....but........we'll see. I do good during the spring/summer as I am always re-using something in the garden.

I save ALL bags off of anything (cheese, potato chips, popcorn, etc.) for dog poop bags. But I do this all year long.......just stack them out in the garage. (go through them fast in the summer as it is a 'daily duty'....)

I did find another tie rack this week at a TS........will be using it in the garage to hold hand garden tools. Love those things but they can be hard to find.

Also.......have been re-purposing wool sweaters from TS into felted purses of all sizes......depending on how the sweater shrinks.

And made about 7 reusable groc. bags out of old t-shirts this week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of the coolest things I've ever repurposed was an old childhood sled of mine....we refinished it and hung it upside down, widened out the slats and made a wine glass holder out of it. Always, people walk right to it and comment on it. It's one of my favorite things at my cabin, not just because it was mine when I was small, but the fact that my husband went to all that trouble to make into something that I enjoy even today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast