5th Annual Fall Fling! - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We started a "minimalism challenge" with our friends (it's one couple with a child) that started Oct 1st and lasts thru Jan 1st.

We have to count everything that comes in, and everything that goes out.

The winner is the family with the most out on Jan 1st.

The prize: winner picks the resturant, loser buys dinner.

so far; we've purged....

1 pair of men's shoes
    1 pair of women's shoes
    1 pair of kid's sneakers
    a very large, heavy gas grill (that was broken)
    a propane tank (gave it away to the people that took the broken grill)
    a large halltree that was in the entry
    a quilt rack
    6 pack of microfiber towels
    36 pack of microfiber towels (returned to store for refund)
    3 bottles of lotion/body oil (returned to store for refund)
    numerous books
    bag full of old school work (classwork, homework)
    glass candle
    bag full of old undies/socks/undershirts
    jewelry box
    wire hangers
    board game
    magic kit
    keychain
    magazines

I've been taking photos as I purge things, and also photos of items that come into the house -

not much really, but we did buy a few things for halloween, and I've been buying organizing bins -

I made a plastic bin for each school year's collection of work/art/etc. If it won't fit, it can't stay. They are perfect size for papers.

I also started a "home notebook" so it's all in one big 'ol notebook ~ everything you need to know & didn't know you needed to know ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hello everyone. I've been so busy trying to get outdoor projects done before the weather turns bad, I kinda quit decluttering & counting. Here are a few items I did manage to keep track of.

From Garage:
    2 jacks
    2 rolls of plastic garden edging
    2 gasoline cans
    5 pcs. of scrap lumber
    2 fishing pole holders & 1 fish stringer
    1 edger tool, 1 shovel, 1 snow scoop
    6 wood corner protectors
    2 paint cans
    2 old storm windows
    2 pcs. pegboard
    1 pc. drywall board
    4 bags of trash @ 25 items each (100)

Total for garage: 136

House (trash)
    3 pkgs. of old flower bulbs
    6 magazines
    22 ink pens
    1 old hinge
    broken glass from a frame

30 newspapers (recycled)
    35 plastic sacks (recycled)

Goodwill bag (so far)
    1 dress coat
    2 slacks/pants
    2 shirts
    3 pair shoes
    Total so far: 106

Hmmm, I've barely started decluttering--I think I may have set my goal too low.

Will try to stay current on my counts (or at least better than last month!)

Eskielover
    Fall Fling-- 242/350

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Not the best few days for flinging. I'm working on getting rid of 100 t-shirts by turning them into diapers. I found out I needed more tees so I bought 35 more. The project should be done in a month.
    135 t-shirts takes up a lot of space! I have thrown out a bag stuffed full of scraps.
    I sold 16 items on Ebay this weekend and made $175 profit. I lowered all my prices on Half again. I will be listing another 30 or so items this Saturday. Hope to get another $200-ish.
    Other than that I've just been putting things in the bags here and there.
    2 markers
    3 socks
    headband
    book
    2 bookmarks
    plus the 16 sold items
    =25 out ~

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I organized my closet today, getting out the summer and old stuff and getting in the cooler weather and new-to-me stuff.
    I eliminated:
    a pair of holey socks
    28 clothing items
    and a box.
    I actually ended up with an empty drawer. That has never happened before since Fall stuff is bulkier it should take up more room than the summer stuff. I'm proud of me!~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    ~Am I the only one declutterring here?
    Ditched 15 broken pens and pencils yesterday as well as 3 toys, a box and 4 aprons.~
    No, I'm still purgeing as I can. I'm just not getting the time to sit and visit (read & post) here as I would like. I've tried to remeber to keep track but I know I have missed some. Here's what I've got jotted down.

~ 82 clothing items
    ~ 75 (3 stuffed kroger bags of papers and oddball "what the h&$% is it" stuff)
    ~ 12 items out of the storage closet

46 + 179 = 225/1000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wish I would have been following this thread earlier...took a truckload to the dump and then a pile of nicer clothing to the SA drop box...Not sure how many items this was...but probably already hit my thousand! LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~This morning I worked in my kitchen craft area. I looked at everything from the perspective of how long I had it saved and haven't used it and that we'll probably be moving. I've tried that before but it feels more real now so it's more effective.
    I parted with:
    2 teapots
    coffeepot
    2 funnels
    glass measure
    corn holders
    2 embroidery hoops
    pastry blender
    masher
    fry pan lid
    closet organizer
    big bag of craft clay
    2 jars
    2 latches
    and 35 salvaged metal zippers
    =56 today~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I scrapped another bag of t-shirt scraps. But I realized as my project unfolded that I'd overstocked on color tees. I hadn't intended to make all the liners white(just used what I already had for my dd)but since these are a gift I just think they look nicer. So not only did I have to a buy a bunch more white t-shirt, it now means I still have about 50 t-shirts I didn't use. This represents less than a $5 investment so I could just donate them. I kinda wanna turn them into diapers and sell them though. I think I could get $50 for 18 of them.
    Anyway, I scored a victory yesterday. DH finally parted with a significant amount of dvd's and video games. I guess the move ahead is making the burden of stuff more obvious to him as well. I needed space on the bookshelves to store the stuff for the baby we were expecting so I packed away all but a dozen items and put them out in the shed. We've only gone out to get something a couple of times in well over a year. When DH realized that, he was more willing to part with the items.
    All in all we put 83 items in bags or listed them online. Already sold one overnight. hoping to make $200 off of what is listed.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yesterday, I decided to revamp the school area. I took out a huge 4x9 table, that simply collected things no one wanted to put away. I brought in a little 3x4 instead. I have set up a rolling cart to store the laptops and net books when we aren't using them. The table is completely clear. It opens up the space.

I through out 3 bags of papers so far, school work from last year. I still need to continue. Dh is skeptical that the little table will work. I told him to have faith. The table can be slid against the wall when we need floor space to create a large project, used as extra seating for company if we have a large gathering.

recently, dh and I were talking about homeschool. This started out as a few month project, and now we're entering our 2nd full year(we did 1 partial as well). We are planning to do this until we think it isn't working. DD12 has no desire to go to a 'traditional' school. DD7 is quite happy. so this conversation sparked the desire to make our school space, a real school space. I now have access to one wall on which I can put a white board, charts and posters. If it gets rough, it's only a paint job to fix up.

So there will be more paper tossed, tonight and this coming week. We have company and a b'day party, so I'd like to get it done this week, and a half, and then I have a few days to get ready for the party.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I want a real school space too. We used the kitchen table last year which was a pain because I need to work in the kitchen a lot during the day and ds found every noise a movement to be a big distraction. This year we're using a dvd curriculum. I haven't figured out how to get a real desk or table into our tiny living room. He's using a lap desk for most subjects and that's not ideal. DD isn't on a full curriculum yet but will be in January. I have to figure something out by then. I could give up my sewing table but I don't want too. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Cleaned out under the crib today and purged:
    31 baby items
    3 bags(15+ pieces each) of bottles and pumps
    Those will go to my sister.
    During my regular cleaning, I weeded out:
    a lanyard
    a chalkboard
    bracelet
    pair of undies
    sheet set
    duvet
    6 game manuals
    video monitor
    =90 ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

very impressive - have been getting rid of stuff but in a haphazard way and need to be more on point to be more effective. At this time I am not going to keep a list - but plan to move like a bulldozer through all of the crafting stuff I have on a large table in the LR - that's my project for after work. Mahalo for this thread, it's very inspirational.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~A bulldozer is a good analogy! I feel like that sometimes. I pull it out, pile it up, look at everything and move a ton of it out.
    I hate getting rid if craft stuff but every year it gets easier. When I know that I've been doing this Fall Fling for 5 years and certain projects still aren't started, then I feel better about letting go.
    Keeping a craft blog also helps me realize just how many projects I can really complete in a year. Like most crafters, I plan more things than I'll ever have time to do.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Today I had a pacifier crisis. I tore the house apart looking for one. It took 1.5 hours. Mama was not happy.
    In the process I got disgusted by all the junk we still have. Seeing it all out made me furious and frustrated. I easily crammed 60 items into a big trash bag.
    I've decided to double my original goal. I've never reached my goal of 1000 so early before. It's clear to me that more needs to be done. A lot more.
    So my new goal is 2000 items out. Eeps.~
    Last edited by nuisance26; 12-30-2014 at 06:13 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sad - I lost my original list. I suspect it got tossed into the garbage or shredded by either myself or DH - we went on a shredding binge last weekend.

From what I can recall - 3 grocery bags of tinkets - plastic trinkets, baubles and junky items given away free as promo items, promo items - magnetic calendars, ribbons, pens that don't work anymore, hm pen holders made out of covered soup cans plastic zip bags of misc items was planning to use for crafts, old receipts, misc scrap papers w/notes that make no sense anymore, small stuffed toys, dollar store junky items - cups, picture frames, cilps, picture holders and more junky items I can't remember anymore.

I'm going to guess 100 items give or take.

- 1 bathing suit
    - 2 bra's
    - 1 pair gloves
    - 2 small purses
    - 2 pairs of shoes
    - 9 pairs capri's
    - 1 laundry basket
    - 20 pairs of socks
    - 2 tee's
    - 3 plastic promo travel mugs
    - 60 margarine/yoghurt/sour cream tubs & lids

Total of 103 items

Total to date - 203 items flung (I swear it felt like more?)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast