5th Annual Fall Fling! - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Sometimes I think it feels like more than the actual number because all those little things take up mental space. Processing what to do with them can be exhausting. And you realize why you don't need this stuff in your life!~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Exactly. I want to be mentally clutter free...baby steps right?

My goal for Nov before vacation is to reclaim the bedroom - boxes of 'stuff' just stored in there so we could arrange furniture for DH to move in and then hide stuff from the wedding guests.

I watch 'Consumed' on HGTV Canada and after each show Im motivated to just chuck stuff left right front and centre.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I watch Hoarders a lot. ~

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today was a wasteful but productive fling. We had been piling stuff in front of the shelving unit down here in the basement which needed to go onto it - stockpile pantry stuff. If I leave it upstairs, dad tries to work through it ASAP so we'd be eating the same thing for eons to no end. When DH moved in, we packed up a lot of items in banker boxes and well I didn't have time to label them. A lot of things flung today were expired food.

Today's List
    6 pk of tomato juice
    6 campbells bowl soups - just nuke & eat
    4 tetra pack of campbells vegetable soups
    4 campbells cup of soup - heat and drink
    1 processed cheese spread - brie (came from gift basket)
    10 boxes of drink mix sticks - crystal light, nestea, generics
    12 boxes cup of soup mix - expired in 2009! bit outta my comfort zone for dry goods
    3 opened and half finished boxes of snacking crackers

1 pocket calculator
    1 mini table lamp w/burn shade (lamps awesome but to find another shade is beyond super hard and not worth it - lamp cost me $5 eons ago and not sure why the shade burnt in first place?)
    1 Christmas cookie cutter set

3 tee's
    1 long sleeve tee
    2 knit tops
    2 track/lounge pants
    1 nighty
    5 tank tops

------------
    63 items so far today - not sure if we're going to continue purging/organizing today (I'm taking a break now )

Grand total to date: 266

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In the last two weeks i had an unplanned fling of items.

My coworker was looking for book donations for his upcoming church fair so i was happy to donate some already read books taking up room in my spare bedroom.

Which spured a cleaning out of the spare bedroom and filled a bag to go to goodwill, then i found old bills from 2006 &2007 and i shredded them.

I shredded 5 grocery bags of bills
    gave away over 20 books
    a set a of sheets
    a sweater
    gave my mother 2 baskets and a bag of yarn.

It is a nice feeling to fling that much

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I attacked my sewing area again. I have way too much stuff. I'm emotionally attached to some of it and what it could be so I can't purge as much as I'd like. But I go back to it every few weeks and it gets easier each time to pull a few more items out. Progress!
    So this morning I pulled out 27 clothing items out of my reconstruct pile and trashed or donated them. I also trashed 7 scrap clothing pieces.
    I had an idea a few weeks ago about how to reduce the bulk of the baby clothes I'm saving for keepsake purposes. I was intending to make a quilt, but if I made one, I wouldn't want to actually use it and what would be the point of that? Decor? I don't like quilt decor.
    So I'm thinking of making a swatch book of the fabrics. If I cut 2X2 inch squares with my pinking shears and put them in a scrapbook with a description and memory, I'll be able to turn a garbage bag of bulk into a nice little book of accessible and sharable memories. I could even cut out little baby clothes shapes in paper and stick the fabric behind the hole shapes to make it look cooler.
    Another project is to weed down my keepsake items by doing something similar. Instead of keeping the item, I want to take a picture and write a journal entry with the story of the item. Especially since several dozen of those items have now found their way into my kids' possession. I think it would be special for them to know what it was before it was theirs.
    I have tried to weed down my keepsakes many times before but it's hard when items trigger strong and special memories.
    The scrapbooks and journal will be my "Winter Fling" project though.
    Oh, and while I'm feeling chatty about Flinging, it occurred to me this year how stupid some of my hang-ups are with letting things go. This week I folded and put away my pj's as usual when it I suddenly saw two pj tops in the drawer that I never wear. Now, I knew they were there. Every year I unpack and wash these Winter pj's and only wear the bottoms. I've kept the tops because they're a set. But I never wear them. Stupid! Even though I know that now I still haven't been able to put them in the thrift bag. :/ ~
    Last edited by nuisance26; 11-08-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

nuisance - I have 'sets' too in which I only wear the top or bottom but never together I've kept them for that reason. I mean honestly, why make pants if you're going to offer it with a tank top? Summertime I wear the top and fall/winter/spring I wear the bottoms. I have plenty of tanks and designated tee's for pj's that I don't need the 'set'. I should purge pj's now that I think about it

Just an update - haven't sorted/earmarked/flung anything for donation today but I did take the whole lot (trunkful) to the Goodwill to donate it. Good riddance! It may only be a lil bit of 'stuff' but its that lil bit of 'stuff' thats no longer sitting in my house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

haven't updated in a while
    flung:
    a whole bag of clothing to a women's shelter
    a carpenters belt to an RN friend of mine who needs more pockets
    several busted up cardboard organizers into recycle bin
    2 stackable paper organizers to the front desk at work
    another bag of the children's outgrown clothing
    a few junk toys that had accumulated
    a vcr
    a small closet organizer drawer unit
    2 books to the free book store
    3 halloween themed decor items
    2 halloween costumes
    Last edited by geckoace; 11-10-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: addition

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~100 items out today in the Fast & Furious Friday Fling. I love putting up big numbers but it usually takes an all day effort to get one. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Still flinging today:
    2 hygiene items
    zipper
    catalog
    stickers
    product manual
    coin wrappers
    shave ice maker
    large embroidery hoop
    leather coat
    silk top
    2 UFO sewing projects
    3 pillowcases
    2 curtains
    scarf
    =19 out~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~It is so hard parting with good items that I like just because they are rarely used. The bundt pans almost went into the bags this morning because I use them rarely but 6X a year rarely. That's often enough to keep. The pretty blue goblets have only been used once this year though so they should go. It's just so hard because I like them. The reality is that we have drinking vessels we like to use more than those. I just can't keep everything I think is pretty. So with that in mind, this morning I boxed up:
    a vintage blue handbag
    4 goblets
    bowl
    platter
    Pressure cooker
    5 cookbooks
    I also tossed an unmentionable and a marker in the garbage. 15 out.
    Here's my little fun flinging fact, since starting this year's Fall Fling, I've been more diligent about posting items to sell online(10 or so every week). I've sold $500 worth of dvd's, video games, sports equipment, clothes and kid's toys in the past two months. Nothing was super valuable, just a bunch of little stuff averaging $7 each.
    It really makes sense to take a few of my leisure minutes to make quick internet searches to see if the items I'm about to donate have a decent value. Some things are really surprising. Last night I sold an old Jerry Lewis movie on VHS tape for $15! I paid $10 for it years ago.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    ~Still flinging today:
    2 hygiene items
    zipper
    catalog
    stickers
    product manual
    coin wrappers
    shave ice maker
    large embroidery hoop
    leather coat
    silk top
    2 UFO sewing projects
    3 pillowcases
    2 curtains
    scarf
    =19 out~
    Isn't it ironic - you toss away stray coin wrappers but then end up needing the odd one (most likely the one you tossed) just to finish up rolling your change? This is ALWAYS the case here

---------------------------------------------

I have had a mad urge to organize my night stand, it has 3 drawers. I needed organizers for the items inside as they roll around which made me want to sort and organize. Those organizers are so expensive but my tissue boxes are flimsy now and need to be replaced.

What I tossed from just my night stand: (I think I should switch to a table type vs drawers )

15 receipts
    2 expired freebie vouchers :'(
    7 misc notes to myself and things to do etc
    1 expired RX
    2 empty boxes from RX's
    1 paper pharmacy bag
    1 printed recipe
    1 small baggy of fish oil caplets (have no clue how old they are)
    1 mini plastic shopping bag
    1 wrapped toothpick
    2 broken hair elastics
    1 RX instruction/information booklet
    1 empty pill bottle
    1 expired pack of gum
    --------------
    37 items from ONE DRAWER!! And the drawers are not large/deep - I don't understand how all that fits in there

The other two drawers are housing sleeves of cd's and hidden candy from DH and magazines which I need to sort/purge soon.

Total flung so far: 303

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I hope donating the coin wrappers won't backfire on me. I wrap coins once a year and take them wrapped to the bank. Well my bank has had a free coin counting machine for three years but I've never used it because I had wrappers.
    I get stuck in leaving items in mental categories of usefulness when they really don't belong in that category anymore. Coin wrappers are outdated for me now. Why spend my time and store items when I can get that service for free? But it took three years for that thought to actually make it's way into my mind during sorting.
    Getting rid of the wrappers was like getting rid of a hammer or something like that. It was so far entrenched in my useful things category that I didn't even look at them and think when I sorted every year.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Today I really really really looked at my silverware drawer. We have 8 place settings that match and then a bunch of mismatched stuff so that we'd "have enough spoons". We'll have enough spoons with the 8 settings if I stop using the extra spoons as an excuse to not do the dishes! It is sooooo much easier keeping up with things when you have *just enough*.
    So today I purged:
    21 flatware and serving pieces
    rubber stamp
    game accessory
    3 stockpots with lids
    3 serving bowls
    4 holey socks
    a rug
    promotional pin
    2 wooden salad spoons
    4 salad bowls
    rolling pin and rest