2012 Home Project Organizational Challenge - Page 13
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast
    cmu
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

lol, that is too funny MadHen!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Alas, I'm currently organizationally disinterested. What do you expect when I have the new Dean Koontz in my hands?

I love reading about everyone else's progress, though.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have gotten rid of a TON of toys. I feel awesome about this. The kids still have PLENTY of toys to play with and we are just getting rid of things left and right.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's amazing how much you can get rid of and never miss it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well I organized some of my jewellery, but you saw the results of that on the other threads and I WILL NOT post another photo of that thing on here! Man! Amazing how these threads overlap at times.

Today I'm focusing on finishing things up. DH has ripped apart the basement utility room and moved the electrical box where he wants it. Next up is to figure out how to get a sheet of drywall home without it costing an arm and a leg. It's $60 if they deliver, $20 if we rent their van, and no way it's going to fit in our car. Hmmm...will talk to a friend whose son has a bigger vehicle.

My chore at this point is to clean up.

Right now I'm waiting for some Korean male students to show up for an English lesson and supper today. My lesson plan fell through when I found out the venue I was taking them to isn't open today. So we're going to wing it. I'll teach them about the Canadian government system and then get them making chocolate chip cookies. It will be interesting to see if they go for that plan or have other issues/plans. I have to keep reminding myself I am the adult here! Hard to do with 3 young men about 1 foot taller than me who come from a male dominated society. We'll see how it goes.

DH is coming home early from work for supper tonight to talk to them a bit about Canadian life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How good are you at mudding Sheetrock? If you're good, can you cut it in half to get it home and then patch the seam later?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Cleaning Room

In 2012 I want to basically organize the whole house. My mom works so she doesn't have a lot of time to clean. I mean, it's not like we live in a pigsty or anything, but... (Oh, just to explain the living with my mom thing - I'm 16).

So, since January is almost over, I'm going to to do the easiest room in the house: my room. Right now I have everything taken out and am working on sorting it into piles. Apparently I can't post pictures here until have 15 posts, but once I can, I'll put up before and after photos.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good idea SD! I'll talk to DH about it.

The teaching lesson with the Koreans went really well. They learned about the Canadian government. They baked a great batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies and almost made themselves sick eating them. We walked to the store where I showed them the aisle they would find the baking supplies in for making more Chocolate Chip Cookies, and actually walked them down the aisle. We also picked up some vegetables for supper. They helped make supper.

They looked at art books. They wanted to know about the spinning wheel, so I showed them how to spin and the finished yarn. We talked about dyes and I showed them some cochineal I had in a jar.

We talked about Canadian history a bit. They asked how to pronounce certain words in English. One poor boy kept saying sh*t when he meant 'sheet'. He was asking for a 'sh*t' of paper! I ended up copying some audio files I had made on English phonograms to one of their USBs to share with each other.

They told me next time we get together they want to go sightseeing. They listed some places they'd like to go. So the next lesson will be on the road!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, all of you have made so much progress! I feel like such a slacker. I got the old tile floor and underlayment removed from the back entry. The next step is to remove the very worn oak flooring, but to do that I need to remove the threshold under the back door. There were some days in the low 40s here, that might not have been too cold have the door off, but I just couldn't force myself to do it. I did organize the little cupboard I have in the back entry. I think I'll defer the flooring project until March or April when it will consistently be warmer. I did organize a few shelves in my office, so for February I'm going to finish decluttering and organizing the office and put up some blinds I purchase two years ago. I have a lot of stuff in the office that I want to try to sell, so I expect this project to take the entire month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

RaineyDaye,every little bit helps. My Jan project didn't last long but it is not somehing I have to keep thinking about now.
    My Febuary project is to work on the shelving in DD's old bedroon which is now the office/computer room.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today being the last day of the month, I am pretty happy with my kitchen. I've managed to keep it under control, and I just have to clean out the inside of the fridge to finish. I can do that this afternoon, because I'm leaving work early to give platelets, so I'll be home by 5p or so.

Tomorrow, I start tackling the bedroom. I was tempted to tackle the bathroom/mudroom, but I want to start on the easy stuff first. The bathroom gets dirty on a daily basis, in the winter, because it is the main entry/exit to the house. I am going to save it for drier weather!

My LR looks like a hidden object puzzle right now, because it is currently the repository for everything that I don't have a home for, so it is my March project.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I ended up sorting through all my herbs and spices today, so that's finally done. Now I should be able to find things easier, and there's more room in the pantry. I also threw out a bunch of old stuff and stuff that's too salty. It doesn't look like much but it took me three hours.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yesterday I went through all my stuff execpt for my books and clothes. I probably only have about 1/4 or so of the stuff in my room now. The other 3/4 I either took care of because they belong somewhere else or I put in the cellar into two bins. One is to see if I miss/want to use any of it within the next few months and the other is for stuff I know I'll want to use, but don't want cluttering up my closet. For instance, I have quite a few books on cassette tapes, so I decided to keep one audiobook in my room at a time, then when I'm done with it, I'll put it in the bin down cellar and get another one.

In hind sight, it wasn't such a good idea to have my "keep" pile next to my door. I kinda got stuck in my room for a while... Oh, well. At least that made me have no choice but to keep working on it.

Today I'm finishing by going through my clothes and books. I don't have a ton of clothes, but I do have quite a few books, and I want to put most of those along with my bookcase down cellar. If it's not too difficult, I also want to move my desk down there, but it's pretty heavy, so I'm not sure if that's going to happen. Actually, so is my bookcase, so I might not move those down cellar tonight, but I'll get everything else done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My project for February is to organize, fill and label 4 more totes and to work on my photographs. I plan on taking all the photographs out of all the photo albums they are in now and putting them in a box specificially made for photos. The box will hold all the photos and this way I will be able to get rid of all the albums and have only the one box which then can be stored under the bed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

My office/craft/thinking room (ha!) is mostly organized and decluttered. I will continue to have to do some projects in there, declutter more, and MAINTAIN. I still need to hang a decorative two-shelf thingy, and a painting, or two. I also have some border wallpaper I picked up over a year ago that might be nice to actually make it onto the walls.

I've moved most books into the bedroom (new - to us - bookshelf), I've gone through some photographs and gotten rid of the ones I'm not going to scrapbook, I've chucked paper I've been hanging on to (didn't really like, was never gonna use it anyway, or used part, and had scraps), I've combined and reduced three hanging files of "important papers" into one, plus a Household Notebook (amazing things can happen when I can actually find my glasses prescription)! I am hard to keep motivated, and I lose interest too fast. Thinking I need to write all the small jobs still left on my ongoing "to-do" list and tackle one thing at a time, over time.

The basement is next up: leftovers from plumbing and electric projects down there, some trash, need to organize my overflow pantry, repack some buckets of beans, etc, control the chaos of canning supplies, make an easier system of inventory, ROTATE and USE what I have - especially in light of tax season fast approaching (and the consequent MASSIVE bill we get), do something with the sleds, switch Christmas storage to a 'harder to get to' spot and bring forward the items I use regularly, *sigh* there's a lot down there in terms of work, and this is a short month - however, I will have a week's vacation later in the month, this may be great!

Great job everyone, we are 1 for 12!!

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast