2012 Home Project Organizational Challenge - Page 19
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91617181920212229 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Still working on the bedroom. I bought a curtain rod yesterday, to hang the thermal curtain. Need to bust out the drill to install it. I am going to try to purge the dresser drawers today, getting rid of extra t-shirts (I think they breed in there!) and socks to make the drawers easier to open and close, and finding things less of a needle-in-a-haystack!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Finished cleaning up the sunroom, and preparing for this week's hooking.

Think I'll work on cleaning up the sewing room again this week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In spite of a hellish day involving a truck that wouldn't start, a trip to the doggy ER, and having to get groceries for my mom and get her home from medical testing, I managed to sort out some more cookbooks to donate. I'm really mowing through those. I'm focusing on keeping the older cookbooks that don't call for processed foods in the recipes, and those focused on healthier eating.

Gotta learn to use the smoker this year so I can figure out which of the smoker cookbooks I want to keep.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wondered where you were today SD. I didn't see your posts! Hope tomorrow is better for you, and you get a well deserved rest tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did get a nap this afternoon, which helped. I hope I'm not up all night like last night, trying to keep our doggy comfortable. The diagnosis was inconclusive, but we're hoping for the best.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Still working on the living room, especially the couch area. We decided that we needed a coffee table, and I asked Hubby about building one. But we went shopping today, not really to buy, but just look at ideas. WEll......

We found a bench that is meant to set at the foot of a bed (it was part of a bedroom set), that was just the right color of oak, the right size, the right pricing and mission style (which we love). This was solid oak with a fabric topper, and was marked for only $99, since it was part of a phased out line of furniture. Hubby said he couldn't build one for this price. So..... we now have a coffee table. I placed a wooden serving tray on it, and put a light green throw on the sofa. The fabric topper pattern picks up the greens in the room.

Here's a pic:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You know fHg, one thing I was told by an IKEA employee years ago when we were first setting up house, was how they trained employees to do the floor displays. The guy told me they were trained to set up vignettes...little corners or 'spaces in time'. So now when I look at a big job like your living room, I break it down into smaller sections and just deal with them one at a time, like you're doing with your couch area. The big trick is to keep everything to scale.

The Mission coffee table looks fine, but it is a bright contrast with your sofa, as is the throw. Is there a way to tie the light and dark colours together with a medium value colour? Or is there more pattern on the throw/cushion topper than we can see in the photo?

I'd also suggest lowering the artwork on the wall to just above the head of a person sitting on the sofa. And centering it on the sofa. Maybe put some smaller pieces to either side to balance out the thermostat. I see what you mean about it being in the way. Too bad you couldn't paint it the colour of the wall! It would be less obtrusive.

I didn't accomplish anything today. had to go to the dentist and to a church event. Then to do some shopping and drop off an entry to a craft fair.

ETA: I got it!!! Put some dark value stones in the tray and place a nice textured pillar candle in the center...maybe a gold one with scrolls/swirls on it... Or you could stick to your green theme and put in a medium green candle... That might help. Or forget the stones...just find a dark green napkin to lay in the bottom of the tray and top it with a pillar candle and candle ring. That will give you the capability to use the tray whenever you want.

Don't forget wrought iron is part of the Mission style too. You could introduce that element as well to your living room. Or gold/brass... Maybe a black candle plate from the Dollar Store?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The throw is the same shade of green as the club chairs in the room. The fabric on the coffee table has quite a bit of green in it, along with a little gold thread. I think the lighting makes it look lighter in the photo.

I soooooo agree about the pic over the couch. Reminds me a man with a normal sized body and itty bitty head. So still working on that part!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cleaned out and reorganized the master closet yesterday. Have four garbage bags of clothes to give to goodwill in the back of my van. My mom will be in town for the next couple of days then I will get back to cleaning out my dresser drawer by drawer. I can't even close my sock drawer and have a horrible time finding matching socks (I normally roll my socks together, but the girls have been helping with laundry and I can't get them to remember to roll socks before putting them away).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

WTG warrenma! I've been picking up my sewing room a bit...a very little bit.

DH managed to mud drywall in the shower enclosure area of the bathroom. He's off to buy leveling cement tonight for the floor.

I must get back to the sewing room...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a sucky week so far.

Monday the truck wouldn't start. I completely lost it, which is unlike me. I desperately needed it to take my doggy to the vet because I honestly thought she was dying. Plus which, my mom was waiting for me at the hospital after having tests done to see if she had cancer again. (Luckily, she doesn't. That's the bright spot in the week, and it's the most important one, so I shouldn't complain but I will anyway.) So I called my husband, hysterical, which is completely out of character for me. Luckily he was able to come home from work immediately so I could use the van.

Tuesday, our dog was supposed to go in for a re-check but the vet called to ask us to put off our appointment so they could deal with an entire dog team of twenty sled dogs who were sick. I guess that's another bright spot, since that wasn't MY bill!

But in the meantime, in between dealing with a very sick dog, I managed to notice our freezer wasn't working. Yippy skippy. So I got to empty the small freezer which was full of dry foods that will eventually get stale, but don't need to be kept frozen for now. Then the fun of moving all the stuff that has to be frozen out of the old freezer. It all fit, just barely. I don't think there's room in the new one to insert a straight pin, it's so packed. Good thing I cooked the giant turkey last week, because I don't know where we'd have put it.

Today we took our doggy back in. She's doing great, another bright spot. The doc put her on a steroid to help with her spinal problems and she's stronger than she's been in a long time now. Of course that'll add $40 a month to her already enormous health care costs but that's okay. She's a great doggy who deserves not to suffer. But the total bill was pretty painful, almost a thousand dollars. That included the Frontline for two dogs and a cat because our winter has been so mild, the ticks are making pets sick left and right. Crazy.

I did a bunch of online research on our freezer and it appears it would cost more to fix it than to replace it. It's 35 years old and I'm not sure we could even get parts, plus we'd have to hire someone to fix it. Nearest service is fifty miles away, and we'd have to make at least two trips. So we'll probably buy a new freezer tomorrow.

Good thing we have all the food from the freezer, because we'll be cutting the grocery bill to the bone for a while to help make up for this week's financial disasters.

So what does this have to do with organizing? I have to clear out a space in my sewing room for the new freezer. I was going to move the old one in there to use as a work table, since it would have to be kept cleared off and wouldn't be a clutter collector like the table I have in there now. So now I'll have to put the new one in there instead. Guess I better start on that tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - sorry to hear about your doggie. I hope she continues to heal and great news about your Mom! Sorry to hear about the vehicle and freezer...it really sucks when everything happens at once. Hopefully things will turn around for you now and get better!

Been plucking away at the photos and totes. Worked in the storage building today for a while and completed two more totes. Another thing has come up in which I have already started and it will continue into March. My Ds and his girlfriend have found their first apartment for this summer in the city where they are attending school...they will continue to live there for the next two years as well while finishing up their studies....sooooo I am now looking for ANYTHING they can use for their new place which will help us tremendously to get rid of alot of these items that we will not use. Today for example I found a brand new 8 piece setting of Corel dishes and glassware, a new set of pots and pans and a new set of glass mixing bowls. So not only will it be out of here.....but they won't have to purchase it! Whoot! I saw alot more within the piles that they can use so this will be great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's great, DC! I'm sure they'll really appreciate it all. Seems like you might be able to leverage that into some help with sorting stuff! LOL

I ended up clearing off about two feet of cookbook shelf, so I got a big box of cookbooks ready to donate. I feel better now. I also sorted through a big tote I had been dreading sorting through. It wasn't too bad, but I'm glad that's done. Progress!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Spirit Deer, sure wish I lived near you. I collect cook books..... But congrats on finishing the job!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to collect cookbooks but then it got ridiculous. I still have twenty feet of cookbook shelving, which now has eighteen feet of books. If I don't get rid of old ones once in a while, I can't get new ones. Besides, my interests and tastes change over time, so no need to keep stuff I don't use anymore.

I decided I can find most any recipe I need online now, so there is less need to actually own and store books. Although of course I do have favorites I would never get rid of.

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91617181920212229 ... LastLast