2012 Home Project Organizational Challenge - Page 7
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's the thing when it comes to keeping stuff. If it's not stored in such a way that it's easy to get to and organized so you know where to find it, you might as well not have it. I've been keeping that idea firmly in mind when I go through kitchen stuff, and also constantly remind myself NOT to follow my mom's example. She has wonderful items that would often serve her needs perfectly, but because of her lack of organization and overcrowding her storage areas with useless crap, the stuff is so buried it's not worth the time and effort it would take to dig it out, so she ends up using some third-rate substitute instead. Why have the nice stuff then? And why cling on to the third-rate stuff so hard? I don't want to be like that, and that motivates me to do better.

A few years ago I bought a wrapping organizer. It was new with tags from GW for $3. It's not exactly like this one, but it's the same concept:
    Christmas Wrap Storage Bag Red : Target
    That's one of my favorite organizer things now! I don't use much wrapping paper, so it works for me, but I love that when I do need to wrap something, I pull it out and everything I need is right there. (Except the bows. I keep those in a box so they don't get smashed.) It also helps keep me from buying more paper just because it's cheap and it's pretty, because I'm determined all my wrapping stuff has to fit into that bag. Having a defined, limited space helps me keep from spending on things I don't need.

I can see a need to make changes in my organization methods in my sewing room, too. Still thinking on that one. The first thing is to weed out stuff I probably will never use, finish UFOs, etc. so I don't need as much storage. Then I'm going to replace my cutting table with a freezer. The table is a major clutter collector so I can never use it anyway. The freezer is guaranteed to always be cleared off. There's a walk-in closet in there that needs some changes, and I really need to figure out what to do about the thousands of little items I have and what the best way to store them is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I switched gears today and decided to work on organizing scrapbooking memorabilia. I'm moving it from files in cardboard boxes into binders with page protector sleeves. I'm sorting as I go. This is a slow process. I'm trying to remember why I'm keeping some things. For the life of me I can't remember for some of it!

I finished everything prior to 2002...about a 3" binder full. It's taken awhile to get to that point, so I think I'll stop there for now and take a break. Only 2 boxes and one 6" pile to go...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's hard to sort stuff in large blocks of time, IMO. After a while your eyes glaze over and your brain gets numb, so you can't think of what you need or don't need.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah...I'm taking it a bit at a time. This is going to be a longer project than I thought. Maybe a couple hours a day will get me through all this paperwork?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A journey of a thousand boxes begins with a single sheet of paper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I scored two boxes of free almost new binders tonight off Full Circles (Cdn. version of Freecycle). I replaced most of my old ratty binders with these nice white newish ones. And I have a box or more of binders left to gift to friends or pass on. We'll see...I have a few more old binder contents I want to transfer to new binders...if I don't toss the contents first.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sorting through more scrapbooking stuff today - tossing and storing in binders in page protectors. This is a good way to presort things for scrapbooking. I noticed it didn't take me long to put everything connected with an event in the same sleeve!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Making incremental progress on the kitchen. Hope to still have it done by the end of the month!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

I plan on tackling one shelf-system (there are two, 5 shelf stands, floor to ceiling in the office) on Friday - between "big cooking" and Dr appointments.

I've worked a bit on the household notebook - actually found my glasses prescription, yay me, and tucked it in the page protector sleeve in the health section. There's going to be so much stuff in the binder, I'm at least working on it, rather than giving up before I've begun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am slowly making my way through the kitchen as well. I have the large pantry and the cupboard above the stove, and the cupboard beside the stove to do yet. Need to find a large block of time and knock it out all at once.

I am also making progress with the totes. I picked up two more on Monday when I got groceries. I did find two extra totes that I was able to empty (and toss most of the stuff) and use those as well. I am hoping as I de-clutter, I will find more totes I can use.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I installed the pot rack shelf modification, so that's finally done. I'm going to love that as much as I loved it when I got to hang up all my cast iron so it was so easy to get to. Now the Corningware is the same and won't get banged around as much as it did when stacked in the cupboard.

Now I will be re-organizing the baking stuff that was on the old pot rack shelf. That will all go into the pull-out where the Corningware was, in the island. Most of the time we mix things on the island so it makes more sense to have that stuff there.

I didn't realize I had this project listed for three different challenges. I guess I really wanted it done!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Looks great SD and everything is so easily accessible! You have given me some ideas.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to re-organize the flours and sugar on the buffet, too, but I'm waiting to use more of it up. I need to get rid of some of the containers too, or at least make room for them elsewhere.

I love how the pot rack has turned out. Prior to building that, it was so hard to get at pans at the bottom of the CI stack that a lot of stuff didn't get used. Now I can easily get to any of it and it all gets used regularly. Much easier on my back too, rather than having to lift out a big stack of iron.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OK,finally got emails again so I know what I'm supposed to be doing!

My January project will be putting the bathroom back together,the one that was remodeled last January. I still have a few boxes downstairs with "stuff" that needs to be taken care of.

My long range project is to clean out the basement by 2013. I got rid of 3 boxes today with a Big Bro/Big Sis pick-up and packed one small box for the next date they will be in the neighborhood. This is the 3rd time I've been able to put things out for them. Not sure I'm seeing a big difference but it is not getting any worse. I think that is a good thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You inspired me SD. I love all your jars...I use all kinds of jars for storing my staples.

I cleaned out the all the cupboards except the pantry this afternoon. The pantry consists of three large cupboards. The top one is done so just the middle and the bottom ones left. The middle one is the worst. Will try and tackle that tomorrow.

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast