Frugal Village Forums banner

Fling 2012 Things in 2012 Challenge!

14K views 261 replies 32 participants last post by  telephus 
#1 ·
~I love this challenge!
It's amazing how much stuff comes into our homes over the course of a year. I kept track last year and I was shocked at how much came in(and I know I forgot to track some stuff!) Remembering to fling regularly will keep us from getting buried and owned by our stuff.
So, can you part with 2012 items this year?
That's 167-168 items a month.
38 items a week.
5-6 items a day.
3 in the morning and 3 at night.
Break it down the way it works for you. I like to do big power sessions of 50-100 items at a time, once or twice a week. I will also be counting the items that come into our home this year.
We can do this!~

#27 ·
Fling 2012 things in 2012!

edited to add: i didn't realize this had already been started....now i have somewhere to post. :)

i so want to do this in 2012. does anyone else want to join me?

i started flinging last year and i got to about 300....and then i lost interest. but i want to de-clutter like there is no tomorrow this year! i'm tired of having so much stuff everywhere and not being able to find things because of all the piles and stuff!

track with me!

be as detailed as you want (ie. list everything you're flinging) or as vague as you want (ie. just list numbers).

also, you can have whatever rules you need to have to make it work for you (ie. will each piece of paper you fling count as 1 item? or will 1 bag of papers count as 1? will big things like furniture count for more? if you have to make dificult choices about what to fling will they count for more?)

flinging can include items that you've thrown out, donated, or given away.

check in often for motivation and to motivate others! :cheer4:

we started yesterday as we took the christmas tree down and tidied up.

we took our old xmas tree to value village along with 2 boxes of clothes that don't fit ds anymore (20 items), 3 xmas tree decorations that i don't like, and ds's old wagon and stroller. i also threw out 3 broken decoration s :)down:).

that makes 29 things we've flung! 1983 things left to fling!

#28 ·
yesterday was semi productive, all together about 150, so that puts me at 206, which leaves me with 1756 left to fling

#29 ·
As we cleaned out her closet and dresser yesterday, I explained the fling to DD. She loved it and said she wants to do some flinging, too! I said, "Absolutely, my dear!" and can't wait because her room gives me a nervous tic!

#34 ·
~Not too much going on the last couple of days, busy with school. But flung:
bucket
calendar
pan
3 holey socks
holey glove
2 packs of diaper pins
pen
whisk
toy car
video game
=13 OUT
DH brought home a 2 pack of super glue and my mom gave me a book
=3 IN~

#35 ·
I'm in! I have got to get a handle on this place. I always feel like our house is tiny but really I think the problem is not the size but how we are using the space we do have. I need to declutter and organize! So that's my big goal for this year. 2012 in 2012 watch out junk!

Reactions: nuisance26
#37 ·
I'm bad about keeping count...but I just took a whole load (back of my Rav4, seats down) to the thrift store. I'd guess at least 200 items. And today was trash and recycle day and I dragged every scrap of anything I couldn find to the curb!

#40 ·
I think I'm in ??? 2012 items seems like so much !! I have a lot of stuff to sort and get rid of so maybe I can do it?

Reactions: nuisance26
#42 ·
~Of course you can do it! If it simplifies your flinging, you can assign a number value to bags of stuff purged. I sometimes weary of counting so I count a grocery bag full as 25. If it's all papers I may count it as 50. You can estimate however you want.
Some hot spots to start at, for me anyway, are the plastic container drawer, family socks, the "mail center"(magazines, expired coupons and flyers) and the fridge. Get your feet wet today and think about where you want to work tomorrow. ;) ~

#41 ·
Okay maybe it won't be 'so' bad? I just went into ds room and flung 56 items of clothing (I had kept bags that didn't fit with the intent to sell them, but they just keep hanging around - time to get rid of them) and we went through his pajamas and pants and got rid of a few. 1956 items left to fling here :)

#45 ·
I just flung another 73 items (of various clothing) that no longer fit our family or was hand me downs that we couldn't use. So my total flung today (and this year) is 129. Feels good, but is kind of embarassing I have that much to fling in a day ... and <gulp> I dont think I'm done yet today (when I get on a roll it's best to keep going) ...

#46 ·
~So I have to get a handle on my keepsake boxes. I go into them for something a couple times a year but most of it is an emotional chain around my neck. I've spent hours on it today and only filled 3 bags. I didn't even reduce it by half yet.
I'm going to take a break from emotional stuff and go back to the neutral/useless stuff again for awhile. The emotional stuff is exhausting.
So today:
3 bags/boxes full of old cards/letters/trinkets
5 rubber stamps
microwave food cover
fondue pot(3 pc) with 8 forks
2 BBQ tools
16 metal skewers
spatula
marker
=112 OUT~

#47 ·
I think I'm done flinging for today!! I have flung 382 items of clothing today and now my stockpile closet has room for my growing stockpile :) DH is dropping off the rest of the bags tonight (I just want it out of here now that's it's sorted).

#50 ·
~A tin, a dishtowel and 43 books.
After sorting through my books for the 20th time in 5 years, it occurred to me that the same information would be available to me online or at the library. Classic literature is available free for Kindle. I mean, I knew that before but the emotional attachment and history with my books kept making me feel I had to keep them. Not anymore!~

#53 ·
I just flung 22 more items (all clothes again that didn't fit or were stained) - we are now at 400 items flung and 1612 to go :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.