Frugal Village Forums banner

Fling 2012 Things in 2012 Challenge!

14K views 261 replies 32 participants last post by  telephus 
#1 ·
~I love this challenge!
It's amazing how much stuff comes into our homes over the course of a year. I kept track last year and I was shocked at how much came in(and I know I forgot to track some stuff!) Remembering to fling regularly will keep us from getting buried and owned by our stuff.
So, can you part with 2012 items this year?
That's 167-168 items a month.
38 items a week.
5-6 items a day.
3 in the morning and 3 at night.
Break it down the way it works for you. I like to do big power sessions of 50-100 items at a time, once or twice a week. I will also be counting the items that come into our home this year.
We can do this!~

#82 ·
Not sure how to count this toss out but, it was at least 2 pounds of paper junk...so I think I'll count it as 8 :) each 1/4 pound as 1 item.

#83 ·
Well I am really on a roll today :)...have a 30 gallon trash bag filled with unnecessary paper crud...it feels liberating to get rid of it!

***Note to self: stop saving every piece of paper that comes into the house!!!!!

#84 ·
Dropped off a box of stuff to thrift. Also "flung" a platter of baklava that my mother gave me. No need for it here, so I took it to the vet's office when I dropped my pup off for surgery. Hoping the bribe will make them give him a little extra TLC. ;)

#86 ·
Flung a 10-cup coffee maker that technically still worked, but was a bear to use. Half the time, the brew cycle would shut off mid-stream, so you'd have half a pot of really strong coffee and a reservoir full of water. I tried cleaning it out, de-calcifying it, in other words, gave it every chance to save itself. It refused, so it became refuse.

#87 ·
Ok, I've been flinging the last few days, not much, but it's a start. I'm definitely going to try to get to 2012 items this year.

So far I flung 20 items, not that many, but have to start somewhere!

#90 ·
~Strange that you flung a coffee maker, I just flung our cappuccino maker. It works great but I only pull it out dozen or so times a year. It's easy to use and we enjoy cappuccino, we just prefer regular coffee in our French press. I'm thinking that we won't even miss it.~

#91 ·
I'm in! I LOVE getting rid of stuff. Just did a bunch last year so at the moment I don't have too much annoying stuff laying around but I do have 2 boys who seem to bring everyone else's junk here. I guess this will make me examine a little bit harder at what is most important and what I really want to keep.

#93 ·
Today's toss:
(2) 2003 & 2006 Medicare Books
(3) pocket calendars
(1) paper shredder
(1) wireless router

#94 ·
Sad to report that I tossed 6 boxes of moldy blueberries & blackberries. Dad shoved them to the back of the fridge and wedge it so well behind other container that I just found it today. I thought he ate them :(

Also unloaded 3 tubes of cream and a body spray to my sister. Its out of my house, consider it flung.

Total Flung To Date: 130

#95 ·
~Cappuccino maker
tortilla press
pair shoes
curtain rod
charging station
another bag of candle wicks
knife
finished our collection of state quarters, ooo'd and aah'ed over them as a family then drove them over to the bank :crackup:
and closed a bank account
=9 OUT~

#97 ·
Flung a cracked coffee mug. The last of the "heavy" glass mugs I bought from Wal-Mart, in a weak moment some time ago. They were blue glass and inexpensive, but looked thick and durable. The first couple chipped/cracked right away, within months of purchase. This one has lasted about two years, but when I picked it up to fill it today, it had a crack running down the entire side. So much for bargains. They were a few bucks each, just cheap enough to make it not worth the hassle of returning, which I guess is how Walmart stays in business. You keep buying cheap crap to replace the cheap crap that breaks and is too cheap to bother with hassling for a refund.

#98 ·
You keep buying cheap crap to replace the cheap crap that breaks and is too cheap to bother with hassling for a refund.
~That's why I use vintage kitchen stuff. My mugs are those white glass mugs you see in diners in old movies. 50+ years old and still going strong. In fact, we broke our first one recently after dropping them on our floors(including a tile floor)over 20X. That's quality!~

#101 ·
~So, I just pulled out 111 dishes plus a 40 piece flatware set in the original box, a pie dish, and a tiered serving tray. Whoa, if I sell everything I just set aside, we could make $500. :D It's HUGE step for my DH who has been making us keep all our china sets(grandmom, wedding and Asian)even though we never use them anymore. When I showed him the selling prices for the dishes he got pretty excited. :thumb:
Now to get them listed....154 OUT~

#102 ·
That is GREAT, Constance!! I lugged my grandmother's 8 place setting china around (with all the extras) for YEARS before I finally put my foot down and said I was going to give it away if nobody would take it. It took the threat of it leaving the family, but one of my cousins finally stepped up and took it. I hope she is getting more use out of it than I did!

11 more items flung out of the kitchen, and I'm still going strong!

#105 ·
January 15th:

5--magazines...gave to my daughter
3--magazines....recycled
2--chair arm covers
1--chair back cover
1--pair of slippers

#106 ·
See thats one thing I never understood, I know the point of the China Set collection of when you get married is to start your 'together' life with 'new to both of you' stuff but I just couldn't fathom trying to collect an entire set/service for 4 or 8 especially since dad and I are clutzs and would end up breaking each piece sooner then we'd be able to use it. And now you have both just confirmed...it gets lugged around and *maybe* used once a year if even. :laugh: (Though I do like the historical aspect of it - hand me downs, but everything is so disposable now days :()

We're not ones to 'display' the dishes but rather use them...right now we have a cheapie Ikea set on the go - from DSIS from over 15 yrs ago AND should those start dying off - DH has his own set of Ikea dishes...those suckers may be cheap but they sure are durable! (mmm k, but not like Corelle LOL)

#110 ·
~I was never into the wedding china stuff either. That was all DH's idea. He has champagne taste. I picked out white dishes and he picked out Sasaki dishes. I liked them so we went with it. They were heavily used until we broke enough that we didn't have 4 settings anymore. But DH wouldn't let me get rid of them and I wasn't about to spend $80 a setting to get more.

We have Corelle. I love that stuff! They look great, take up 1/3 of the space of regular dishes and are super durable. Here are the dishes we actually use and that I love:

Inheriting dishes as a memento is really only cool if you have actual memories of that item being used in connection with the person you got it from. My DH has no memories of his grandmother's china. She gave it to use to be nice and to use, not as a keepsake. It just happens that I can't tolerate florals so they weren't used.
This is her set:
~

It was a wedding present that HE wanted and *I* ended up with, somehow.
~That sounds familiar. We are just too nice to the guys when we set up housekeeping I think. I mean, if they were doing the majority of the cooking then maybe they would be the best person to choose how to properly display their creations but that's not usually the case.~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.