teaching my religion to my kids challenge
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default teaching my religion to my kids challenge

I am challenging myself to take teaching my religion to my kids back from the church. I plan to read devotions nightly with my younger two and put inspiring quotes and scriptures on my oldest child's mirror. If anyone is interested, please join me.

I started not to post here but I was lazy and skipped last weekend. I need to keep myself accountable. I started Jan 3, 2012.

With the 4yo I am reading a book about making right choices. I read a book of his choosing and then I read a short story from this book. It has some questions at the end and we have a little discussion. The book was supposed to be "Gotta Have God: Fun Devotions for Boys Ages 2 to 5" but it was back ordered. I had the right choice book from when the teen was little.

The 10yo has 2 books. "Life Lessons from the Princess and the Kiss" is once a week. The other nights it is "His Little Princess: Treasured Letters from Your King". There have been a lot of good discussions so far.

The oldest gets a card from "101 Secrets Every Teen Should Know--Box of Blessings". Day one was "the only time Success comes before Work is in the dictionary". So far it has been similar stuff. Tomorrow is the first scripture card.

I am reading my Sunday school lesson each day. I have "the purpose driven life". Maybe I will start that this week. The kids are back in school and activities have started back. So, I'll see how much my schedule can handle. I have limited my TV and that has helped a lot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is a great idea to keep the word into your children life. We have scriptures posted in our house and we read a short passage right after supper every night. Praying for a blessing upon your family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dog got run over last night. He is pretty scraped up and needed a few stitches but ok. We put him in the main bathroom before bed. I didn't put 17yo DS's card in the mirror. I should have put it in the other bathroom mirror but I just wasn't thinking by then.

I also didn't read to 4yo DS. He kept bouncing around the dog and getting in trouble. I wanted to watch the dog because the vet said he might get sick. I let DS play his leapster instead. I know, not good.

I have kept up to date on 10yo DD's stuff. She sat by the dog while I read.

I never did look for the books for me. Maybe this weekend.

Now picking myself back up and starting again.

Good news, the back ordered book has been shipped.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks like I need to work on my weekend schedule. I tend to slack off then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We watched courageous as a family. I was shocked the 4 yo sat thru it. Everyone liked it so much that dh and I are thinking of buying it.

I still need to work on reading to the kids every night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't posted here in a very long time. Our family has been in crisis with our teen son. But your post has inspired me to bring the word to my sons. In my case, I haven't been in church for quite awhile. I already read to my nine year old son each night, so it shouldn't be hard to work in a reading about the life of Jesus. I have a few books we can use.
    My teen is a different story. He is having a very rough year (16). He tried to commit suicide in Oct. and was hospitalized. He has experimented with drugs, sex and alcohol. And he is very anti religion. For that matter he is anti anything that reflects our values and morals at all right now. So I'm not sure how to start getting through to him. Maybe some "values" type quotes on the mirror like you are doing. Thanks for the inspiration.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought a 365 day devotional for the year by Joyce Meyer that my teenage daughter and I both LOVE. Its called Love Out Loud 356 devotions for loving God, Loving Yourself and Loving others. Its a short plain talking one page lesson for each day of the year and I look so forward to it each day. She has some amazing easy to read books that got me through some very dark days . She also has cd's and you can watch her speak on the website for free and get amazing inspiration. She also sells alot of her books and cd's for whatever you can pay . Some are not like that but some are. I got my teen daughters bibles specifically for teen girls . They also have them for teen boys and they make everything less formal and more like a story so they stay interested and don't get discouraged trying to analyze the language and more time analyzing the message .