6th Annual Fall Fling Challenge! - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm flinging again! I cleaned out my makeup bag...considering I rarely wear makeup there was a lot of old stuff in there.
    Flea marketed some toys and 4 other things
    Gave 3 video games to my uncle
    I added about 10 things to the bag to go to goodwill next week

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Oh my, somebody motivate me, please!
    Between all the stuff I need to do to buy the next house(oh so much paperwork for the third time this year), homeschooling two kids, taking two classes myself, house guests over the last weekend and a health issue I'm dealing with now, I haven't found one drop of motivation to use weekend time to do anything but clean, cook, read and sew or go on planned school trips.
    Worse, I've been adding stuff to the house over the last month. We have a new/vintage dining set(kept the old one in the garage for my sewing table in the new place), grandparents brought tons of toys for the kids, and I purchased some cloth pull-ups for the toddler and thrift sweaters and books for me. That's a lot of bulk that I'd prefer was going out.
    Our old house was 800 square feet with a shed, our rental is 1250 with a two car garage and the new place is 1492 with a 3 car garage, partial basement and storage shed. Just because I'll have plenty of space there is no reason to hang onto things we aren't using.
    New goal: 15 minutes a day to declutter. I may not have the time I'd like to tackle stuff but I'm pretty sure I can spare 15 minutes every day. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can do it!!! Think about how much easier your move will be if you get rid of stuff on this end instead of schelpping it to a new house.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in. I started about 3 weeks ago. Obviously, not fall cleaning daily. LOL I did rent a dumpster to get rid of some Little Tykes stuff on our back porch and some cardboard boxes. The porch is nice and clean and ready for our wood delivery soon. I have a big linen closet on the first floor. It always becomes a dumping ground for things when I'm not sure where to put them. I always go through it once a year, but this year decided to do something new. With being a family of 6, organizing shoes is a BIG ordeal. I've tried everything. Over-the-door hangers for everyone, shoe racks for each child in their own rooms, shoe racks in the entryway closet, shoe rack in the entryway, laundry baskets for shoes, etc etc. I emptied the entire closet and each family member gets an entire shelf for shoes. The other side of the closet is for sports gear. I had sports gear (big athletic bags) on a big utility shelf in the play room and then two rolling sterlite organizers with drawers. We still had overflow and that's with some sports gear that stays in the car trunk. sigh. So now I am using the shelf for some of the gear.

I purged a lot of clothing. I do this every year, too.

I cleaned and organized my pantry. I have one cabinet that I want to do. It holds silly stuff like sandwich plate sets, fondue pot, etc. I also need to do something with our family room. Toys always end up over here because the play room is the next room over. I purged tons of toys last year and am ready to do it again. With my youngest being 4, I need to hold onto some toys, but need to cull more for sure.

I cleaned out all of the coffee table drawers. Each side has two drawers and they were stuffed with books, school papers, whatnot.

My bag total of stuff out was at about 12 trash bags of what I consider junk. While that seems awesome, unfortunately, it doesn't really dent the sheer amount of stuff in this place. I really should let go of some comforters. I'm holding onto too many. I have them stored in large totes, but it's just crazy, really.

So family room is next. I only work a couple of days on projects because of work and kids. I don't do well with starting a project, stopping and picking it back up again. It's too frustrating for me. I have 6 weeks mapped out and specific tasks on certain days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I spent 2 days cleaning up yard debris (ok half days cause the soiders we skeeving me out) and I need one more day.
    We are preparing the house for ds birthday party so that's great motivation

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Last 5 bags of yard debris ready for pickup
    Freecycled a cooler
    Used some scrap wood to make a useful thing so I'm call that flung

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I flung 31 things to Goodwill Saturday, but then I went to the lumberyard and bought 33 pieces of lumber. The lumber is all installed though, so it's not clutter.

I'm not counting stuff I'm throwing away. I'd have a lot more stuff if I did, but I can't get into counting my trash. But we'll be making a big trash run shortly so I'll probably just count the big bags. And once winter sets in, I'll be flinging stuff from inside the house like crazy. I'm determined to reclaim my sewing room this winter. And the spare bedroom.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think I signed up for this but I also haven't been keeping track. At this point, I'd rather it all just leave the house vs trying to keep track of it.

Today I had an OCD attack and did the small upper kitchen cupboard that houses baking supplies, tea and spices. Lets just say that it was overflowing and when you opened the door, it was almost guaranteed that something would fall out. Now, its visually appealing, organized as in functional and there's actually gaps between items. Nothing's crammed in there I tossed 3 shopping bags full of expired stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in. I know I'm late but better than never. I would like to get rid of 1000 things by dec 21st. stuff keeps accumulating! how does that happen?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Well, I did get a smidge of time here and there over the last week to fling one large bag of non-donatable outgrown clothes, broken toys and paperwork. I also half filled a bag for donating. I'll count it as an even 30 out.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you found a new house yet, Nuisance?

I need to keep better count. I've thrown tons of stuff and not counted any of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Yes, SD, and hopefully this one goes through on schedule. October 12 is the closing date but I'm not holding my breath on that since the seller is doing a few repairs. I like this one more than the last place we didn't get. Municipal water and sewer here, .5 acre in a quiet country neighborhood, 2 miles from every store I ever need to shop at including my co-op and a brand new library, good schools should we ever choose to send the kiddos instead of homeschool and SMALLER! I'm very happy with the outside shed, three car garage, and small unfinished basement for storage, stockpiles, and just better means to organize the stuff that shouldn't be in living areas. Inside is just under 1500 square feet. There is a huge deck and mountain view. It's a little more than I wanted to spend but at 3.25% interest, the payments are absurdly low. So with taxes and insurance and basic maintenance, it will be equivalent to the rent we pay on this not-so-great rental we're in now. I'm not even going to try to pay off the balance over the 16 years we'll be there since we can do better sinking that money into investments that will pay more interest over that time period. That and it's almost certain that interest rates will be higher, perhaps much much higher, when we sell. With our VA loan, the loan balance is transferable at the 3.25% rate. So that could be a great advantage in the future if rates go up.
    And about your count, can you estimate how many grocery bag sized loads you've tossed? If you've stuffed at least 40 bags full, and it wasn't all big stuff like adult sweaters, you've probably made 1000 things out already. I count each grocery bag as 25 since I toss or donate a large amount of kids' toys and clothes and papers, which are all small-ish. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, Constance, your new place sounds like it will be just perfect for your family! I'm so happy for you.

Thanks, about the challenge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dropped off goodwill bags today and gathered coats for school coat drive ready to drop off on friday

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Anybody want to guess how many small grocery bags would equal a thirty-gallon trash bag? I'm trying to decide how many to count because I've filled a thirty-gallon bag and just skipped the grocery bags. I would say at least twenty, and that's if they're not smashed down. If so, then I'm well on my way to meeting this challenge!

Anyone? Just looking for some guidance here. Nuisance? This is your challenge. Do you want to decide?

Maybe I'm over-estimating.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast