6th Annual Fall Fling Challenge! - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope we get a bunch ready to haul out today. This warm weather can't hold forever. I need to call the dump and see if they will be open Friday and/or Saturday. I'd like to try to get a load out of here Wednesday and Saturday for sure. My back seems okay today, so that's lucky.

We're going to tackle the back of the garage today, I think. There's a ton of stuff back there from my IL's that got moved up here when FIL had to go into an apartment here. He wouldn't get rid of it, wouldn't pay for storage space for it, and got very unpleasant over the whole thing, so we ended up stuck with it. Now he's gone and it's still here. We've been dreading going through it but the time has come. At least I hope we get that far.

We also need to dig out a steel exam table we salvaged a while back. It has a wood top on it so I'm going to attach my drill press to that and I think there's room to set up the chop saw on it, too. That will make both of those so much more convenient and useful. The table is on huge, locking wheels so we'll be able to wheel it against the wall for storage and then bring it to the middle of the floor when we need to use the tools. Between the table and us right now is a big stack of lumber and some junk, so it'll be a busy day of sorting, for sure.

We also need to go through the scrap lumber from the deck. Luckily, I was able to plan it so there was very little waste. Most of the scrap is less than six inches long, so it'll be easy to part with it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're going to add to the total of things flung in a big way this week! We got more done than I thought we would today. The clouds are moving in though, so I'm not sure we'll be able to haul it out tomorrow, but I'm hoping.

I'd say we have at least a dozen bags of lumber scraps to go. I haven't cleaned out under my radial arm saw for quite a while, so there was a pretty good pile there. We also sorted out a big pile of recycle stuff. Tomorrow, if it's not too cold, we're going to start going through the small stuff from FIL. That's going to be difficult.

I put a corner cabinet on Freecycle. The person who took the cabinet yesterday wants it, so that'll be gone before the day's over, I hope. It'll be good to get that big thing out of our way in the garage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yea! When the people came to get the corner cabinet, they also took an oak rocking chair frame I've been dragging around since the mid-eighties, an antique cant hook, and another small cabinet. Great! They may be interested in buying an old radio/record player and two old telephones, too. I hope so. I'd really love to get those out of here before winter. That would help soooooo much!

So I need to add four items to my sig, since that stuff is gone now.

I really wanted to keep the rocker, but have nowhere to put it and since I haven't done the work it needs in twenty-five years, I had to give myself a reality check and just let it go. I'm proud of me right now! It still hurts a little bit though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I figured fifty items per fifty-pound deer food bag of junk, which is what we used for trash bags. We took out fourteen bags of those, so 700 items there. Plus with the assorted junk, large pieces of cardboard, lumber, and metal, we're claiming another 300. It was more than that I'm sure, because we also took four 55-gallon contractor bags full of assorted trash. So we figure we hauled over a thousand items of junk to the dump yesterday.

My husband also recycled 70 magazines from his office yesterday.

I'm glad for this challenge, Constance. It got us moving on getting rid of things. We have a long way to go yet but finally we're starting to see some progress. The warm weather here this week has been a gift that allowed us to do far more than we expected to do in the garage this year. That's supposed to change tomorrow night though, so we're putting the garage back together so the cars will fit in again. After that, the cabin is next on the hit list. I'm hoping we can get that sorted and organized over winter and get rid of a ton out there, too.

We're gathering up stuff to sell, too, so I hope we can unload some more stuff and make a little money in the process.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Wow, SD, and I was feeling proud of myself for the two hours I spent organizing the garage today. I only trashed one bag of 25 items. It's something though and the garage does look fantastic now. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, but you just moved and you're a lot younger than us. We've been accumulating this crap for 37 years, close to twenty just on this property, plus we have a bunch of stuff from three estates we've had to deal with and are still dealing with.

I did pull out MIL's 1957 Wear-Ever roaster from the pile and clean it up. I think I'm going to keep that. She never cooked and it looks like brand new, except for a few knife marks in the brownie pan/lid where bars were cut. Very nice. I need it like a hole in the head but I'll be keeping it for a while at least.

We put the garage back together today so we could put the cars back in. We're not close to done but things are somewhat more organized and thanks to the excess we dumped yesterday, we can now get at almost everything without moving more than a few things, unlike before when we faced a monumental task to get at so much of our stuff. This is going to help us a lot with our winter projects. We re-arranged our rolling cabinets so we can get at all our tools again. That will help too.

I put a bunch of stuff on Freecycle and people are falling all over themselves trying to claim the xc skis I listed. LOL. Someone came right away to get those and seemed thrilled. That's the skis and bindings, poles, and Ski Hookers, so is that six items flung or three? I'll take three. Someone is coming to get the boat ladder today too, so I'll count that one gone as well and add another four things to the total. Some of the stuff we listed, if it isn't gone in the next week we'll probably haul it all out.

I thought I would be upset about the big cabinet of my grandma's that we got rid of, but it's just a relief that it's gone. It wasn't anything special and needs a lot of work, and once all that was done, I still wouldn't have a place to put it. So I'm happy I was finally able to let that go.

I'm thinking right now about those really expensive tool cabinets at Sears. You know, the ones that have a million drawers and spiffy wheels on them so they can be rolled around to wherever you're working. Considering the money we've already spent on tools and how much time it would save us instead of searching all over for our stuff, I'm about ready to make the financial sacrifice. This is a new thought, so I'm going to have to let it marinate a while, but we'll see. We have a huge balance on our Sears cash-back account right now, so we could buy one or two with 'free' money. Maybe I'll start watching sales...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yea! Someone wants the table and chair set my stepdad made for our girls when they came from Korea in 1981. I hope it gets fixed up and used. It's a really cute set but one of the chairs is broken and it needs cleaning and painting. I wish we didn't have to get rid of it but we have no use for it and nowhere to put it.

So that's three more items on the way out the door.

Yea! Just got another e from someone who wants the three metal cabinets we're getting rid of. It'll be so good to get those big pieces out of there Friday when she wants to come pick them up.

That's six more items out the door, with the table and chairs. Wish someone would take the golf clubs now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Are you giving all that stuff away for free SD? That is so nice! So many people are being blessed by those things I'm sure. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, we're giving it away. We just want it gone. It's probably not as great as it all sounds. Nothing has a lot of monetary value. The little table and chairs, for example, need work so I hope the person taking them tomorrow has some skills. The skis are older. They belonged to our daughter who just left them and hasn't been back for fifteen years, so we don't feel obligated to keep them. The metal cabinets are old but serviceable. Etc. But rather than pitch them, we decided it makes more sense to give them away in case someone can use them. Saves us hauling them out, too.

This stuff has been sitting in the garage for years, too, so most of it is dirty from the dust and dirt that comes in on the car tires. If I donated things to GW, I'd have to clean it all first. It's quicker and less work to just put it on Freecycle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went through the toolbox today threw away about 4 million allen wrenches and some random broken stuff.
    Also decided to just trash the box of empty cd cases by the time we can let the cds go they wont be worth selling, also an old car stereo

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The people who got the little wooden children's table and chairs seemed happy to get them. I sure hope they fix it up. Even someone with minimal woodworking skills should be able to make it serviceable again. It's such a cute set. I always wanted to make a chid-size set of Raggedy Ann dolls to sit at the table with a little tea set, but there wouldn't be any place to put it anyway, so it's gone now. My husband offered them the metal folding table and chairs set, child-size, that he had when he was little, so that's gone now too. Three more things out of the garage. Now if someone would just want the two sets of golf clubs!

My husband is going through stuff in his office and has been for weeks. I hardly see him these days. I'm afraid to go in there, but I'm hoping he's decided to unload at least half of the thousands of books he has in there. And at least twenty years' worth of old papers, but I suspect that would be asking too much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband recycled about 200 magazines, plus three large totes of assorted papers, and three big totes of other stuff from his office. I'm guessing at 100 items for three of the totes and 50 for the other three, although I'm sure it's much more.

We've been really mowing through stuff lately and I like it. It seems like we're finally making a little progress.

We've tried doing this one room at a time and it hasn't worked. The problem with getting rid of stuff from here and there is it never looks like we're getting anywhere, but lately we are starting to see some results, so maybe we've reached a tipping point.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did 6 months worth of paper shredding which isnt that much for is but i font have a shredder so i had to borrow.
    I have been throwing everything away im feeling ruthless latelY LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went into the basement and started tossing crap ive been on-the-fence about in the goodwill bag. So at this point i have 2 huge bags of stuff. Gonna pull out the xmas dec tonite so there will be more stuff i think.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was just informed 97 books will be leaving tomorrow, and we will be getting $50+ for them. Score! So that's more stuff flung. I know my husband has been sorting books to get rid of besides those, but I'm not inclined to ask about that because all his books are a bone of contention. I'm hoping he's sorting out gobs of them to donate. He never reads a book more than once so there's no point in him keeping them. Ah, well, considering the bad habits some people's husbands have, I can't complain.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast