Room by Room Challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Trying to!
    I need to get a power drill ours is really dead this time and I can't remove the old wall mount without one.
    I tossed the old food out of the fridge but now I have to scrub it own.....I hate that the freezer is already clean cause spilled coffee grounds in it so I had to scrub the whole thing anyway

Its cold and damp today but supposed to be nice this week maybe I can get the kid's desk painted now instead of waiting for spring.. We shall see

Registered User MakeADollarHollar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Front half of the house is mostly done. I've also been keeping up and doing touch ups in the rooms that were already done so they are staying good and clean (DH, homemade enchilada sauce and in immersion blender...need I say more? )...except the laundry/pantry floor. That's gonna need another scrub.

Got all I can do in the Living Room done today except "the corner". It's a dead spot, caught between the entertainment center and the love seat. I usually do it when DH pulls the love seat away from the wall to do the windows and blinds. I have some antique wash tubs turned upside down/stacked and an antique milk crate on top with a live plant on top. I'm sure there's dead leaves and plenty of dust bunnies back there. ***Shoot***As I was crossing things off the list I totally forgot about the screen door. Need to go back and do that.

Remaining in the Pantry/Laundry Room:
    Shake Rug (All rugs are in the process of being washed today so I can take this off)
    Polish All-Clad
    *Skillets
    *Back Row
    *Middle Row
    *Front Row

(Polishing the cookware is something I'll do once the rest of the house is done. If I can't get them all done at the same time at least I can do a few pieces at a time.)

Remaining in the Kitchen:
    Polish Knives (*I'll do this when I do the cookware)
    Scrub Gel Mat
    Shake Cloth Rug (this rug can't be washed...it is literally falling apart and needs to be replaced ASAP!)
    Sweep
    Mop
    DH – Sharpen Knives
    DH – Blinds
    DH – Window
    DH – Light Fixtures
    DH - Replace light bulb

Remaining in the Dining Room:
    Sweep
    Mop
    DH – Blinds
    DH – Windows
    DH – Light Fixtures
    DH – Examine Spot Near A/C Vent

Living Room
    Clean Out Corner
    Wipe Screen Door
    Sweep (I did one pass over but it will need another when the floors get mopped)
    Shake Rugs (washing in process)
    Mop
    DH - Blow out Tower Fan with compressor
    DH – Blinds
    DH – Windows
    DH – Picture Above Entertainment Center
    DH – Ceiling Fan
    DH – Light Fixtures
    DH – Steam Clean Furniture

Next comes the Hallway and Bathrooms. Probably will do Thursday. Tomorrow is "desk day", paying bills and such.

Hallway
    Wipe Walls
    Wipe Baseboards
    Wipe A/C Intake Door
    Wipe Closet Door
    Shake Rug (washing in process)
    Sweep
    Mop

Bathrooms
    Scrub Tub
    Scrub Shower Walls
    Refill/Replace Soap/Shampoo as needed
    Scrub Sinks
    Scrub Toilets
    Scrub Trash Cans
    Windex Mirrors
    Wipe Out Medicine Chests
    Inventory Medicine Chests
    Windex Clocks
    Wipe Doors
    Windows
    Wipe Scale
    Wipe Shelf and “Stuff”
    Refill Q-Tips/TP/Soap as needed
    Shake Rugs (washing in process)
    Sweep
    Scrub Floor
    Wipe Out Closet
    Take Inventory
    Wash Fake Plant (Did this the other day when I did the others)
    Wipe Beadboard
    Wipe Baseboards
    Wipe Pedestals
    DH – Light Fixtures

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Borrowed the drill, removed the wall mount, spackled the holes.
    Need to sand and locate paint to touch up.
    Could use a frame for the art i just bought.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yesterday was spent doing desk work and laundry (household and mine...I do DH's separate). Today I got back on the house and am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Well, except for our office. It's like a whole 'nother universe so I don't even think about it until the other things are done. Today I did bathrooms, hallway, finished the screen door in the living room and washed the quilt and shams from the bedroom. I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow morning but should be able to knock out the bedroom in the afternoon. Even though the list looks long it's an easy room to do.

Remaining in the Pantry/Laundry Room:
    Polish All-Clad
    *Skillets
    *Back Row
    *Middle Row
    *Front Row
    (Polishing the cookware is something I'll do once the rest of the house is done. If I can't get them all done at the same time at least I can do a few pieces at a time.)

Remaining in the Kitchen:
    Polish Knives (*I'll do this when I do the cookware)
    Scrub Gel Mat
    Sweep
    Mop
    DH – Sharpen Knives
    DH – Blinds
    DH – Window
    DH – Light Fixtures
    DH - Replace light bulb

Remaining in the Dining Room:
    Sweep
    Mop
    DH – Blinds
    DH – Windows
    DH – Light Fixtures
    DH – Examine Spot Near A/C Vent

Living Room
    Clean Out Corner
    Sweep (I did one pass over but it will need another when the floors get mopped)
    Mop
    DH - Blow out Tower Fan with compressor
    DH – Blinds
    DH – Windows
    DH – Picture Above Entertainment Center
    DH – Ceiling Fan
    DH – Light Fixtures
    DH – Steam Clean Furniture

Remaining in Hallway
    Mop

Remaining in Bathrooms
    Scrub Tub*
    Scrub Shower Walls* (*I'll do both of these this weekend when I take a shower)
    Scrub Floor
    DH – Light Fixtures

Master Bedroom
    Dust Furniture
    Wash Quilt/Shams (Done)
    Wash Dust Ruffle
    Iron Dust Ruffle
    Wash Hamper Liners
    Wipe Doors
    Helmac Lamp Shades
    Clean Floor Fan
    Windex Pictures/Glass/TV
    Clean Off Bench Seat
    Shake Rugs (Done)
    Sweep Floor
    Sweep Under Bed
    Inventory Under Bed Storage
    Mop
    Wipe Screen Door
    Windex glass
    Wipe Doggy Door
    Wipe Walls
    Wash Fake Plant
    DH – Ceiling Fans
    DH – Light Fixtures
    DH – Dresser Mirror
    DH – Blinds
    DH - Windows

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Worked today so nothing got done. Tomorrow is my day off so I plan to do DH's bathroom and the office.

MADH - what do you wash your walls down with? or are you just wiping down random marks? I really need to wash my walls in my house but have no idea how to do this.

geckoace - glad you found a drill. I applaud you for tackling that project!
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rabbit, I don't wash the walls. Since we run our A/C about nine months out of the year ~and~ ceiling fans run almost constantly we can get a build up of dust on the upper portion of the walls. I get what I can with the feather duster, if there's a corner I can't reach I have DH do it.

Krud Kutter is my favorite cleaner. I used to only find it at Sherwin Williams Paint Stores but now it's available in Lowe's and Home Depot. It takes out ink, blood, nicotine (we used to smoke in the house), kitchen grime and all kinds of stains and crud you didn't even know you had until you made a clean spot. I use it on almost everything, including furniture, bedding and the occasional laundry and wouldn't hesitate using it on my walls ~after I did a test spot just to make sure it didn't remove the paint. It's my "Secret Weapon".

**Edit** I fill a squirt bottle with the stuff and use it for spot cleaning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks MADH, I will have to look for Krud Kutter at Lowe's. Just noticed you're in Florida, lucky you! I'm in Michigan, trying to prepare myself for the long, cold winter.

Well it took me 3 hours but I got done what I wanted to accomplish today.

DH's BATHROOM -

wiped top of picure
    washed door
    washed baseboards
    wiped vanity inside and out - also washed baskets under sink
    light fixture
    cleaned wastepaper basket
    cleaned fake plant

OFFICE -

cleaned window, blind and tracks
    cleaned fan and globe
    wiped down door
    wiped down baseboards
    cleaned closet
    dusted inside cabinets on desk
    vacuumed cold air return
    vacuumed valance
    vacuumed top of cat tree (rest of it gets done biweekly)

I also wiped down baseboards in hallway and cleaned the light fixture. Only 3 rooms left.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was on fire this morning. Painting and sort and bagging. Got 3 bags of stuff on the porch for goodwill, rearranged the sunroom where the extra bed is Temporarily being stored, sorted through Xmas decorations pulled some more stuff for goodwill, found a bunch of CDs my mom will want and pulled the cabinet to take over the weekend, bagged some trash from the basement, and organized some stuff my sister asked me to freecycle for her.

Living room
    Polish floors
    Bring up radio
    Remove wall mount
    Remove cord management
    Patch screw holes
    Touch up paint
    Tidy entry shelves
    Move box of wires downstairs

Master bedroom
    Get rid of tv
    Clean dresser top
    Get new tv

Kids room
    Beds
    Move desk
    Cull stuffed animals
    Clear out under bed
    Purge from closet

Kitchen
    Clean inside of fridge
    Pantry organization

Dining room
    Take down shade
    Clean or replace

Porch
    Move bikes down to basement

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Way to go Gecko!! You really were on fire!

DH came home early today. A part he needed isn't ready and he's not feeling well anyway so he's crashed out on the couch and I'm staying quiet. Looks like the bedroom will have to wait another day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WOW, great job geckoace! Don't you love seeing all that stuff leaving your house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks guys!!

Yes as i was piling it up i thought "WOW this is a lot of junk taking up space in my life."

Something i read recently urged us to consider the amount of time spent managing your stuff and that really resonated with me. I feel like i just haul stuff in and out of the basement endlessly. Id like that to stop

After it was done i took some time to hang my fav decorations.... Wreaths i make each year out of all of the xmas cards receive. They makd me think of all of the people who think of us. I am working on a new list to reflect the rest of my pre-decoration prep my littlest is eager to get the holiday season underway

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just finished reading the book "The Joy of Less" and although I do tend to try to keep up on getting rid of things in my house I got alot out of this book. Something that stuck in my head from the book was that alot of us (myself included) put things in the basement because we just don't know what to do with it. The author was saying to either decide to keep it and make a place for it or get rid of it. I am going to start following this rule.

Today has been busy, running errands and doing some Christmas shopping. Now I have to get ready for a Christmas party. So didn't get alot done but did some.

MASTER BATHROOM -

cleaned light fixture
    cleaned medicine cabinet
    wiped down vanity inside and out
    wiped down baseboards
    windex clock
    vacuumed valance (just put it up a few months ago so didn't need washing)

Will try to finish this up tomorrow, not much left to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just noticed this thread, and am definitely in the de-cluttering mood these days. I down-sized last winter, and this winter I'm doing it again, and repurposing stuff too.
    Ever hear the song..."Put Away In Boxes"? It's a bit of a downer, but the honest truth.

In November, I reorganized my kitchen pantry, the cupboard under the kitchen sink, and the food cupboards. Also decluttered my shoes and boots collection, cut up lots of clothes for rag rugs, organized other materials for making winter wear projects. Was up late last night sewing, and up early this morning cutting fabrics. Also learned how to sharpen my own scissors properly...instead of a circling motion across the blades, I use a downstroke across each blade from side to side, and my scissors are working like brand new again.
    Also, stacked up a few books in my book collection, found some paper for my binders (yeah!), and organized my desk, threw out about 6 bags of scraps from the entire process, and am looking forward to some more hard-jawed de-cluttering, then vacuuming and washing floors. I have to get going on cleaning my walls, ceilings, blinds. I finished cleaning the windows in autumn, while I was putting the yard and garden in order for the winter.
    My basement is quite decluttered, but I want to do a thorough cleaning there too, and maybe toss out a few more empty plastic bottles, etc. I've found a good use for heavy plastic...they make good shoe insoles, especially for those shoes and boots that need good hard insoles at the bottom, as well as softer insoles on top. As well, I think heavy plastic might be just the thing for some heel interfacings for my handcrafted moccasins and boots in the making...keeping the heels from running down. I'm trying to make myself a handcrafted pair of "Uggs", with my own pattern...I really need boots that fit me better, and don't hurt my feet.
    Sorry for running on here...I'm just jotting down thoughts that come to my head.
    Glad somebody got this thread going...housecleaning is NOT a dirty word, although some people are actually ashamed to be involved in it, and brag that they don't clean.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow you guys are so motivated and driven! In my house, whatever gets done, gets done. Things that need to be done WILL be done. I've learned to not stress myself out this year and so far, all is better b/c of this new found mindset.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You are exactly right about putting things in the basement when I don't know what to do with then! I'm trying so hardto be better about this. So much junk "just in case" in case of what? An empty cd case shortage? Rebate for outdated stereos? The infamous florist grade vase emergency?

Use or get rid of it..... That's where I am right now.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast