Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge - Page 5
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Still ripping CDs. Into the classical now...for a bit. There are some of the small 1 disc CDs already on my laptop. Need to figure out which ones they are and get rid of them. I'm putting off the Celtic CDs for the moment. There's a pile 18" high beside my living room chair.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm really sucking at this! LOL.
    I didn't get to do 15 minutes today AGAIN! sheesh!
    all i wanted to do was go through the drawers and organize them.
    I was so tired getting home from work - that I took a nappy.

sowwy.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will set the timer and work on stuff during Hoarders tonight. That will get me going!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today I ironed the bedroom curtains & hung them up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Late night getting home today but I did set the timer and worked on shelving downstairs. Have over 50 books to give away, maybe to library so they can use them or put on their annual book sale to raise money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am trying to organizing the "office paper".
    This is the ?3rd time sorting it, and I still don't
    know what to do with it all. I am thinking about
    just throwing it all away, so much paper and ink
    went into them and figure all I will do is re-print
    them so am afraid to do that. Can we say paralyzed??

It snowed today, about 2 inches, so no outside
    work was done, either.

I did go with a friend and picked out some colors
    for my "accent wall" in each room. Now need to
    buy the paint and clean each room LOL
    EmilyD

Change/Piggy Bank Jar Challenge (I use it for my clothes allowance)
    All silver change into piggy for 1 year (Oct 2019)
    Household savings account $200.00 monthly, current bal. $2600.00
    My savings: current bal. 100.00
    Pay extra on mortgage/loan/auto $50.00 @ monthly

Projects for 2018: Done
    Replace wooden pathway with concrete
    Cemetery Plots and burial plot for kitty
    Payments for cemetery products $80.00/$1875 per month x2 yr. begun in March 2017
    Pay off old and closed credit card

Projects for 2019:
    New porch (from dh's vacation fund, this summer)
    New garage door (next week, $900+tax)
    Hire out yard clean-up, bush trims, weeds ($400)
    Major declutter house (in progress)
    Major declutter garage (in progress)
    Re-decorate my bathroom (in progress)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default How To Be A Clutter Buster. What items are Clutter in your home?

Be A Clutter Buster: What Items Are Clutter In Your Home?

To be a clutter buster you've got to be able to identify which items in your home are truly clutter, and which are not

However, it's not always easy to identify clutter.

Clutter can be insidious, because it can be almost anything, from obvious trash to the most expensive antiques.

Further, the same object that may be clutter for one person is most certainly not for another person.

That makes it very hard to get your mind around, doesn't it?
    Therefore, below are five criteria and guidelines the process of identifying your clutter, and also identifying any emotions you've got that are keeping you from getting rid of it from your home.

1: Clutter Can Be Anything - Cheap Or Expensive, Sentimental Or Throw Away

Before you can be a clutter buster in your home you've got to know what is, and is not, clutter. Many people's preconceived notion of clutter is trash and cheap junk that fills our homes, and that we don't care about at all. While trash is most certainly clutter, that is about the only hard and fast rule about identifying clutter that there is. That is because, as the saying goes, "One man's junk is another man's treasure."
    However, when you look critically at items in your home don't automatically overlook something because it cost you (or a loved one) a lot of money to purchase it. Even the most expensive things can be clutter.
    The same thing goes for antiques and family heirlooms. These items may be very expensive or valuable (or not -- they could just have sentimental value), but don't
    automatically discount these items as not being clutter in your home. Unfortunately, these items which were provided with love in mind may only clutter up your home, taking away the joy the gift was intended to bring.
    2. Too Many Of A Particular Type Of Thing Can Be Clutter

There can, as the saying goes, be too much of a good thing. And that is exactly what can happen when we start amassing a large selection of a particular type of item.
    An example of this can be collections, which can quickly turn from something that makes us happy and brings us joy into clutter if we're not careful. That means you should be especially critical of any collections you do have, and do some serious soul searching to determine if these items are truly worthwhile to keep, or just items collecting dust and using precious space in your home.
    Further, a few of a particular item, such as shoes, clothes, or kitchen gadgets, are a good thing since you have choices, variety, and appropriate things for multiple occasions. However, when you start to accumulate too many of a particular item what used to be a nice selection to choose from becomes an overwhelming pile of clutter.
    Anything in your home that you have a large selection of should be suspect, when evaluating your home to identify clutter as a clutter buster. That doesn't mean everything will be clutter, but it could be if you're not careful!
    3. Items That Used To Be Functional Can Turn Into Clutter

It often happens that we use an item for quite a while, and then our circumstances change and it is no longer quite as useful to us anymore. That's when the item begins to collect dust in a corner - becoming clutter.
    That's the thing about clutter -- it may have been useful stuff in the past.
    That's why you've got to be ever vigilant in your home when you're a clutter buster. You've got to question items every time you pick them up, to decide if they're clutter or not, and pay attention and notice when you no longer use an item anymore, to consider that hey, that's no longer needed anymore here in my house.
    4. If You Don't Have Room For It In Your Home It's Clutter

You could have some really awesome stuff but if it doesn't fit in your home in the storage or living space you have available it's clutter.
    This one is tough for even the most seasoned clutter buster, because people experience this all the time with downsizing, and it just doesn't seem fair. However, the fact is that if it sits out collecting dust or becomes a tripping hazard all the time it just doesn't belong in your home anymore.

Now, don't start throwing out everything right now that you're tripping over. This category of stuff is tricky because you need to first make sure you're not devoting storage space to real clutter which could make room for this important item. If you can get rid of other stuff to make room for it, it's not clutter at all and you've proven its worth by getting rid of something else instead.
    However, sometimes tough choices must be made because you only have so much space available, and if you can't make a home for something in your home, it unfortunately just doesn't belong there.
    5. If You Don't Love Or Use It, It's Clutter

This brings me to my final definition for clutter, and what ultimately sums up the other rules and guidelines above:
    Clutter buster rule: If you don't love or use it, it's clutter.
    Everything in your home should, ideally, serve a purpose so you can keep it clutter free. You should either use it, or love it, since then it either helps you with something or makes you feel something positive each time you see it.
    The thing is, practically, if we've got too much stuff we can't use it all. Now, I'm not saying you've got to use each item you own every single day, but practically you can only wear so many clothes or shoes in a year, for example.
    Further, unlike with people, where your love can keep multiplying, it just doesn't seem to be true for stuff. You can only truly love so many things, and take the time to care for them, before you just don't feel that attachment to everything anymore. Keep what's important and ditch the rest!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That came to my inbox this morning too FN. I have real trouble with the inherited stuff. I inherited all my mom's stuff and have been slowly getting rid of it. Still, some things are just plain hard to part with, like the antique dishes. I use some of them, but for the most part they are unused.

Then there's the piano that hubby and I do not play...but the boarder does. Once she goes, so does it.

And I need to go through the books again. Lots could go yet there.

And while all the stuff in the kitchen is useful, it is not really necessary, iykwim.

Lots to do yet!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I thought it was helpful for all who are trying to declutter and organize.

I had the toughest time parting with my mom's 'stuff' but eventually, I managed to give it to siblings who appreciated it. But it is so hard to do.

Today, I intend to clean out the end table drawers and the buffet drawer.
    There's stuff in there I haven't seen in a couple of years. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've heard it said if you haven't used it in a year, get rid of it, and I think that's terrible advice. I can't count the things I've not looked at in several years that suddenly get moved to the forefront again. For us, it happens way too often to just toss stuff based on frequency of use. To me it does not make any sense to get rid of things like canning supplies just because I took a year off from canning or something like that. The trick is to try to identify the things you're likely to use, even though they may not have been used for a while.

But I've decided to divest myself of my Oster Kitchen Center. I bought a KA mixer which is way better than the KC mixer, and I have a free-standing Oster grinder and Oster blender base that will operate all the same accessories the KC does. So I'm going to keep the pasta maker and mini food processor and a couple other accessories to use on the blender base and sell the rest. That will clear out almost an entire pull-out in the kitchen island, some other parts on another kitchen shelf, and a huge box of spare parts I've accumulated out in the garage.

I've found it very helpful to set reasonable space limitations for various categories of items. So for example, my cast iron collection has its own custom built rack, which is now full. If I want a new piece of cast iron, I know I will have to get rid of a piece I already have or else I can't buy something new. The drawer for kitchen utensils is full, so if I want to buy something else, something would have to go. I have designated shelf space for cookbooks, and when the collection outgrows that space, like it has now, it's time to purge. The tote I've set up for double knits to make rugs is full, so no more double knits. Etc. It's made a huge difference in organizing around here.

For things with emotions attached, I try to keep in mind that the thing is not the person, and I can still hold the person dear without keeping all the person's stuff. It's pretty easy for me to let something go too, if the person who had it did not treasure it herself/himself. If they didn't especially care about the item, I'm not obligated to either. And I always prefer to keep something I can actually use vs. an item that is stored out of sight and/or out of mind. I'd rather have the CI chicken fryer my mom gave me than a fancy dish, because every time I use the chicken fryer which is often, I think of Mom. A fancy dish tucked away into a cabinet would be prettier, but it offers fewer opportunities to stir old memories. I also find I'm okay with keeping one or two items of sentimental value as representatives of all the others, which I can then let go more easily.

Today I'm getting a steel shelf unit cleaned and ready to go to Mom's new storage locker, so that will be out of here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ugh, went to post this and lost it somewhere...

cleaned out 2 more cabinets, sorted, threw away, wiped down etc. Made boxes for all my spices, labeled them on the front, now I know whats in them. Kind irrates me I have all kinds of spices, but bought more cause I coundn't find them, now I have alot of doubles.. I got rid of dishes and bowls I haven't used in years. The kids took them, I figure they can store them for the next 20 years.lol

All of my upper cabinets are done now, guess I will start on the bottom. The one under the sink is the one I really dont want to do!

Peanut, too bad we weren't closer, I would give anything to have a piano again.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Three hundred and seventy-five CDs ripped, and heaven only knows how many left to go! Looks like another hundred or so. Depends how much of the classical I do. I mean, I like Schubert, but my mom had about 40 CDs of his work! Still, if I want to get rid of that CD stand, I need to rip the music or find room for it elsewhere...

ETA: just went over to the CD stand and decided what to rip and what not to rip. My guess is I have another 100 CDs to go. And hubby is going to have to let go of some of the ones I ripped the other day. I need the space in that bookcase for the ones I want to keep. This classical collection is too good to give away or sell cheaply. It's kind of specific and specialized and needs to go to someone who will appreciate it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Working on the knick knacks from the shelving while I watch a movie. Not much getting accomplished. Tomorrow will be better as I have the day off.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I actually accomplished organizing and purging many dvd's, VCR tapes, xbox and playstation 2 games and cassettes. I now have a Bag of garbage,a large pile of GW donations, a pile of old home videos and cassettes and cd's that will be stored for later organization. A pile of board games need to be gone through yet. I also have a pile of picture frames and alot of photo albums that need to be gone through. I'd like to make each of my kids a photo album. I can not believe how much stuff my wall of shelving and cabinets have held these past 10 years! I probably could make some cash selling alot of this stuff but my mission is to get rid of it ASAP. I will let others get enjoyment out of and store it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

KimB: I may have to do that in the end...just get rid of them somewhere. But we need the money for renovations. So I'm trying to sell them first. If they don't go, then I have a place that will take them for 10-50 cents each. Not much, but it's something.

Hubby came home and went through the CDs, culled the ones he wants to keep, and took them upstairs to his room. I was surprised by how few there were in his pile. Pleasantly surprised. Means we have lots to get rid of.

I spoke to him about buying (uhoh) a storage cabinet for the dining room to hide my dye equipment which is currently scattered about the floor and on the bookcase some of these CDs were on. The bookcase is dented and the back doesn't stay on. It's time to replace it with something more functional. Something that looks a little cleaner and sleeker. Will have to see what's on sale. The last time we bought these we were able to get one for $75CAD. I think I'll see if I can pick one up used somewhere for cheaper.

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast